Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

are these worth getting looked at?


Recommended Posts

been metal detecting and gold prospecting for years and i see a million rocks and a LOT of metal ores, but these are different from anything i have found, i have only ever come across 2 of these accidentally, i dug the bigger one up while digging up old coins maybe a year ago and the smaller one i dug up a few days ago a few towns over whilst looking for gold i live on the mid north coast NSW Austalia, they are both very heavy for their size, small one is 10.42g and the larger one is 74.4g, both get a strong iron signal under my detector and both attach strongly to a neodymium magnet, i grinded a face off the bigger one and i definitely see a lot of very small flakes of metal, are they worth getting tested?  do they look like weathered iron meteorites? measurement in the ruler pic is in cm

1.JPG

2.JPG

20181006_155650.jpg

ggg.jpg

spa.jpg

bb.jpg

3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the Met guys hopefully, will be with you momentarily. That is if we have any left . . . Looks interesting to me as an average non-met kinda guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, daffy said:

thank you, for the quick response and answer, think im just going to stick to what im good at, finding gold lol

Well, as long as you're looking for gold, there's always a chance to find a meteorite. So don't give up. If you find something interesting, post it here so we can take a look at it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found something I thought was a meteorite. The location was in an area with metamorphic limestone, basically white Carrera looking marble. No vesicles and had thumb prints and rust on its shell. cut open it was solid with small metal inclusions that under a loupe had halos of metal specs. I took it to a 30 year meteorite pro and he couldn't identify it, but said it was the best meteor-wrong he'd ever seen. Took it to another friend who's dad owns a gem mine in so cal and he told me it was basalt. I'll try to find it and post a pic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Sikhote Alin sculpted individual

2. Beautiful Unclassified but classy NWA

3. Brahin Pallasite from Belarus

4. Lunar meteorites from Algeria

5. Sm Sikhote Alin sculpted

6. Impact melt angle 1 showing interior

7. Impact melt angle 2 showing metal 

8. Sikhote Alin shrapnel

9. Sikhote Alin from pic 1 angle 2

10. Cool chondrule in find, cropped and zoomed in.

Enjoy Daffy !!  I hope you are Daffy for my meteorites!!! That's just a few :brows:!!

1.

IMAG3675~2.jpg

2.

IMAG3578~2.jpg

3.

IMAG3461~3.jpg

4.

IMAG3407~2.jpg

5.

IMAG3694~2.jpg

6.

IMAG3650~2.jpg

7.

IMAG3658~3.jpg

8.

IMAG3689~2.jpg

9.

IMAG3679~2.jpg

10.

IMAG3722~2.jpg

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocky said:

1. Sikhote Alin sculpted individual

2. Beautiful Unclassified but classy NWA

3. Brahin Pallasite from Belarus

4. Lunar meteorites from Algeria

5. Sm Sikhote Alin sculpted

6. Impact melt angle 1 showing interior

7. Impact melt angle 2 showing metal 

8. Sikhote Alin shrapnel

9. Sikhote Alin from pic 1 angle 2

10. Cool chondrule in find, cropped and zoomed in.

Enjoy Daffy !!  I hope you are Daffy for my meteorites!!! That's just a few :brows:!!

IMAG3675~2.jpg

IMAG3578~2.jpg

IMAG3461~3.jpg

IMAG3407~2.jpg

IMAG3694~2.jpg

IMAG3650~2.jpg

IMAG3658~3.jpg

IMAG3689~2.jpg

IMAG3679~2.jpg

IMAG3722~2.jpg

OMG they are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing, ahh I want to find one so bad hahaha 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, daffy said:

OMG they are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing, ahh I want to find one so bad hahaha

Thanks you, the only one I found was the last one which I'm not sharing yet because I want it classified first so people don't go nuts LOL.. I promise I share in the future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rocky said:

Thanks you, the only one I found was the last one which I'm not sharing yet because I want it classified first so people don't go nuts LOL.. I promise I share in the future.

Rocky, nice collection you have going there. Classified is one thing, and will take awhile usually but you could just get it verified by New England Met. lab for just over 20 bucks and will only take a week or two at the most. Russel Kempton is the man over there and he is great at responding with you. Good luck which ever way you go.:m2c:

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Rocky, nice collection you have going there. Classified is one thing, and will take awhile usually but you could just get it verified by New England Met. lab for just over 20 bucks and will only take a week or two at the most. Russel Kempton is the man over there and he is great at responding with you. Good luck which ever way you go.:m2c:

I disagree about that service you if you've done your homework which I have I can "confirm" it is a meteorite almost certainly unless it's something crazy. A meteorite is not valuable unless classified. So if you don't intend to classify and you found a rock you're sure it's meteorite why even bother wasting money on his service, just save your money and cherish the rock. I'd rather go right to the snakes head find out what it's made of and get it classified, killing two birds with one stone. Granted this is not always a option especially if the mass is small and a common ordinary chondrite, not alot of places want to classify those but if someone is willing to do so it is a better option all around. It supports the scientific community and can potentially be worth something more than a paper weight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocky, could you please use a little more punctuation ...just a little would allow me to more fully cherish your statements....

Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have an expert that will classify your stone, wonderful!

Of course, many people are "often wrong, but  never in doubt" about their "meteorites."

with respect and definitely not trying to pick a fight

fred

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...