Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
DOC

Hats, Long Sleeve Shirts, Sun Screen - NO EXCUSES

Recommended Posts

Hey gang, you are some of my favorite people so unless you want a frontal lobotomy like this, protect yourself from the sun!

Don't worry, I'm not going to die.  Well some day, but not from this.  It was a superficial skin cancer that they did not get all of the first time, so I told the doctor, no more of this conservative approach, take more than you think you need to, and then when you think you have taken way more than enough, take another inch.

I don't have time for this non-sense, there are fall outings and gold to find.

SUNSCREEN & HATS Long Sleeve shirts!

I just can not over-emphasize how important it is to protect yourself from the sun. You are still getting damaging UV rays when it is overcast. So protect your head, your face, your neck your arms, basically anything exposed.
 
Look at my head! I wasn't always bald, all of those spots are sun damage, that came from never wearing a hat.
 
As soon as by frontal lobotomy heals up I am going to have BLUE Light Treatment. They paint the skin with a chemo type of medication that targets any cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. They let it sit on your skin for a couple of hours as the abnormal cells absorb the medication. They then expose your head and face to the light they use that activates the medication inside the abnormal cell and kills it.
 
This is all sort of a pain, but it is not the first lesion I have had removed. The key to this is constant vigilance for anything weird on your skin. Look out for small red scaly or flaky spots that just do not seem to heal up.
 
Now before you all freak out, most common skin cancers do not metastasize if caught early enough. That does not include Melanomas. But even then, if you get them early enough there is a good chance you will have a full recovery. So if you ever get something on your skin and say to yourself, "That's weird never saw that before." Go to a dermatologist immediately! Do not take a "I'll wait and see attitude," Get it taken care of. 98% of the time it is going to be a benign skin keratosis. No big deal, the doctor will freeze it and gone. The other percentage is that it is going to be something a little more serious that you caught in time.
 
I really feel strongly about this because if I had known what I know now when I was younger, man I would have been a lot more cautious. Protect your grand babies and kids from sunburn ALWAYS! Early sunburns can lead to the problems I am experiencing now. Remember the skin is the largest organ of the body.



20181010_004703.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great advice, Doc.  Thanks for sharing.  May you enjoy a quick recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are sharing this Doc.  I am getting over a deep melanoma that was on my neck/back.  They took some lymph nodes out from under my arm and said that the cancer hadn't gone that far.  I have had many Basil and Squamosas cell cancers cut out, but that is what you put up with when you have fair skin.  Back in the 1930's one didn't have the kind of skin protectants that we have today.  Was practically raised on the Jersey shore beaches and like you Doc I'm suffering for it now.  Young folks better heed some old fart's advice and load up with 50 and above sun screen when going out in the desert and such.  Think that you are getting away with it now, well just wait and join the club.  

   Old Tom   :m2c:      

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting sir, excellent information.  I'm one of the worst for not using sunscreen, something I need to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, good advice for sure.  There is a reason why I see a higher percentage of facial and other surgical skin scars in the high desert areas of California -- all other things being equal there is less atmosphere to help shield skin from the sun's radiation.  The blue light treatment definitely helps, but the single most effective measure is to be proactive: wear a broad brimmed hat outdoors whenever possible, apply sunscreen -- especially on the nose and facial parts most exposed, etc, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you posted this Doc.

So true. I always wear a floppy hat and long sleeves. But.............I did a lot of damage to myself as a kid/young adult and have had melenoma cut off my arm. I just had squamius cell cut off my lip yesterday for a biopsy and will have to go back for removal of the rest. Possibly something going on with my right wrist...waiting on the biopsy.

Slather up with sun screen and DONT FORGET YOUR LIPS!!!!   This is NOT fun.

I look like Godzilla right now.

Tom H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Glad you are sharing this Doc.  I am getting over a deep melanoma that was on my neck/back.  They took some lymph nodes out from under my arm and said that the cancer hadn't gone that far.  I have had many Basil and Squamosas cell cancers cut out, but that is what you put up with when you have fair skin.  Back in the 1930's one didn't have the kind of skin protectants that we have today.  Was practically raised on the Jersey shore beaches and like you Doc I'm suffering for it now.  Young folks better heed some old fart's advice and load up with 50 and above sun screen when going out in the desert and such.  Think that you are getting away with it now, well just wait and join the club.  

   Old Tom   :m2c:      

Glad to hear it sounds like you were on top of it.

Remember what we used for sun lotion?  Baby oil with iodine in it????  WTF?  I guess the baby oil was to fry the skin, and the iodine was to provide some healing for the blisters that formed?  Craziest and most dangerous thing we ever did to our skin probably.

Doc

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW,  I you ever are diagnosed with Squamous cell, find a surgeon that does MOHS surgery.  A Mohs surgeon has the ability to remove the affected area, and before he ever sutures you up, he can checked the removed portion to see if he got it all.  If not he cuts out a little more and checks again.  This surgery is 99% successful in getting all of the cancer as long as it is localized.

Doc

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one removed last year from my arm.... Same type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DOC said:

Glad to hear it sounds like you were on top of it.

Remember what we used for sun lotion?  Baby oil with iodine in it????  WTF?  I guess the baby oil was to fry the skin, and the iodine was to provide some healing for the blisters that formed?  Craziest and most dangerous thing we ever did to our skin probably.

Doc

Wow, Doc, I forgot about the baby oil and iodine "tanner"... That's what we used growing up on the SW edge of Death Valley, where 125 degrees + were the norm for 3 months of the year...Thanks for the reminder...Cheers, Unc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Doc,

I can’t emphasize enough about wearing sunscreen and spf clothing! I myself just just returned from my dermatologist from a hour long Mohs Surgery.This was my fifth surgery for skin cancer. For those who have not had a skin cancer screening you really need to! I lost part of my lip and now have a nice 2”scar. So much for working at the kissing booth next week.🤐

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sonny said:

Hi Doc,

I can’t emphasize enough about wearing sunscreen and spf clothing! I myself just just returned from my dermatologist from a hour long Mohs Surgery.This was my fifth surgery for skin cancer. For those who have not had a skin cancer screening you really need to! I lost part of my lip and now have a nice 2”scar. So much for working at the kissing booth next week.🤐

Just tell em you got into a fight with Conner McGregor ...............that what my story is after next week. :)  My Lip is going to look like heck, but its better than the alternative :)

Tom H.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DOC said:

Baby oil with iodine in it???? 

Can't tell you how many of my friends and I did that when we went to Crane Beach in MA when I was a kid! Instant tan was the idea or so we all thought! Been lucky so far only one Squamous Cell on my back ... and about 5 very small ones on my face that started showing up about 12 years ago. Very proactive now with twice a year visits the the Dermatologist 'Just Because"!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely can not forget the SPF clothing.  I have a big scar on my back too.  My dermatologist said that even clothing does not block the sun unless it is SPF certified.  Since I am in the sun for most of the year I now where that clothing or have to put sunscreen on under my cloths.  I hate the feel of sunscreen LOL!  So I wear long-sleeve SPF shirt, SPF pants and the most important, SPF buff that I put over my head and neck.  Then I only have to put the screen on my face and hands LOL.  It works for me LOL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Doc....one good thing....when we get all this crap cut out, it tightens up our wrinkles  :yesss:

Tom H.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do most my prospecting in the summer east imperial county california and have no problem at all. wear heavy wool socks, wide brim black wool hat, black levis, dark blue long sleeve shirt and black t-shirt. dark colors hold your moister in which cools you. camp four to five days at a time, go though 12-16 gallons water, eat all organic, one can tuna fish. do not use any sun screen. been doing this over forty years. days are longer and no blm nor sheriffs, snowbirds. been out there when it's 130 in the shade, no shade out there. me thinks being to hot is in your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my days have been spent above 5000 ft. covered in baby oil and iodine wearing nothing but a pair of cutoffs. So I just whittle them off my forearms and shoulders and save them in a little box like Goldmember. 

Down in Death Valley it is freaking hot. All along the Colorado is just smoking in the summer. But heat does not cause cancer. Radiation does. The higher in elevation the more radiation and the more cases of cancer. It is a direct correlation.

Nevada and New Mexico are super bad for skin cancer. Both places are generally high altitude and warm enough where people like to expose a lot of skin. If you go outside in New Mexico and you don't have a hat on you are going to perish pretty quickly. Even in the dead of winter when the wind blows at 10K feet you will brown like bacon in about ten minutes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Nevada and New Mexico are super bad for skin cancer. Both places are generally high altitude and warm enough where people like to expose a lot of skin. If you go outside in New Mexico and you don't have a hat on you are going to perish pretty quickly. Even in the dead of winter when the wind blows at 10K feet you will brown like bacon in about ten minutes.  

All these years Science said things like the Ozone Layer in the Stratosphere many miles up in the air absorbs 99% of UV rays, but we go a mere 2 miles up from sea level and we burn pretty quickly.  I wonder if the Ozone layer absorbs much less than that.  Could it be that the Ozone layer absorbing 99% from many miles up is convenient talking point to get rid of CFCs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some facts about the ozone layer:   https://www.ozonelayer.noaa.gov/science/basics.htm

There's a paragraph in there that might explain why '2 miles up' is noticeably harsher.

"There is also widespread scientific and public interest and concern about losses of ozone in the stratosphere. Ground-based and satellite instruments have measured decreases in the amount of stratospheric ozone in our atmosphere. Over some parts of Antarctica, up to 60% of the total overhead amount of ozone (known as the column ozone) is depleted during Antarctic spring (September-November). This phenomenon is known as the Antarctic ozone hole. In the Arctic polar regions, similar processes occur that have also led to significant chemical depletion of the column ozone during late winter and spring in 7 out of the last 11 years. The ozone loss from January through late March has been typically 20-25%, and shorter-period losses have been higher, depending on the meteorological conditions encountered in the Arctic stratosphere. Smaller, but still significant, stratospheric decreases have been seen at other, more-populated regions of the Earth. Increases in surface UV-B radiation have been observed in association with local decreases in stratospheric ozone, from both ground-based and satellite-borne instruments."

Luke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

been out there when it's 130 in the shade, no shade out there. me thinks being to hot is in your mind.

Me thinks your brain has to be fried ... or perhaps you have some genes from the old Native Americans! Have a great respect for what they were able to endure in all kinds of weather when they freely roamed the Southwest! :old:

  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

should add, use two table spoons virgin coconut oil each day, sweat less if at all. started taking it 2014, the eleven bone spurs from cutting bottom both feet on live coral phillipines in 1965 are completely gone. no having to carry a bucket to sit down every 50-100 feet to lesson pain. blood pressure like a twenty year old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 10:14 PM, TomH said:

Hey Doc....one good thing....when we get all this crap cut out, it tightens up our wrinkles  :yesss:

Tom H.

 

Yes if they would have ran the cut more horizontal than vertical, but instead of removing the wrinkles now my left ear is one inch higher than my right ear and my glasses don't  fit for crap, they are all crooked on my face.  I'm a darn mess!  :ROFL:

Doc

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

should add, use two table spoons virgin coconut oil each day, sweat less if at all. started taking it 2014, the eleven bone spurs from cutting bottom both feet on live coral phillipines in 1965 are completely gone. no having to carry a bucket to sit down every 50-100 feet to lesson pain. blood pressure like a twenty year old. 

OK, let me make sure I have this right.  Every day get two virgins with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on them ... OK, then what do I do with these virgins? 

Doc

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×