Nugget Shooter Forums

Shalom, shalom, ladies and germs

Saul R W

To misquote Mark Twain, rumors of my demise are only slightly exaggerated.  I've been overseas, first in Israel for a few weeks for minor surgery and to spend the High Holy Days with cousins, and after that I spent a few weeks steaming my nuggets in Cebu, Philippines.  I've done a lot of whining about the humidity in Missouri, and now I take it all back.  I left the States without giving anyone any advance notice, because last time I left the country for a while I came home to find that my youngest half brother had burgled me blind in my absence. 

One thing I discovered is that there's gold all over the Philippines, and that foreigners can end up in some really nasty third-world prisons, or worse, just for thinking about panning any of it.  My fiance's family over there owns land on the Cotcot River near Cebu City, and I carried a few buckets of riverbank mud into the house to pan it out using a cast iron pot lid.  There was good color in every pan, even though it was just random material, nowhere near bedrock or hardpan.  I wish it was legal to use a dredge there. 

We b*tch and moan about government here in the States (and in Israel, too), but we have it so good here.  A country like the Philippines has amazing natural resources, and hardworking people, but the place is a dump because of corruption (deriving to a great extent from the Catholic Church).  That country could be as rich as Japan, or richer, if not for corruption and the Church and Muslim rebels.

Anyway, I'm back, and only a few days after returning to the U.S., I made a solid gentleman's agreement to buy a couple of very nice claims in Arizona.  I'm looking forward to getting dirty and sunburned.

• Like 6
  • well done 1

Thanks, Luke.  It's nice to be back in a part of the world where folks of my ilk don't have our heads chopped off (as in the Muslim controlled parts of the PI), and where there aren't missiles being lobbed at us at all hours of the day and night (as is often true in Israel).  The U.S. is easy living, no matter whether our president is white, black or orange.

• Like 5

Welcome back Saul! :thumbsupanim

So glad you're still on the topside of the grass, had me wondering for a while there if you had ran into some bad trouble or worst!! 

You have been missed on the forum, not sure if it was your beard, your hat or your pipe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Welcome back Saul! :thumbsupanim

So glad you're still on the topside of the grass, had me wondering for a while there if you had ran into some bad trouble or worst!! 

You have been missed on the forum, not sure if it was your beard, your hat or your pipe!

The wife-to-be chopped off my beard and is trying to get me to lose the pipe.  I'm holding onto the hat for dear life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to U.S.A.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

first the beard then the rest to be remodeled  at her will...

Yes, this isn't the first time.  It will be my fourth remodeling.  I'll ease her gently into me having a beard, an inch or two at a time.  The pipe, I'll probably have to sneak a few puffs now and then, hiding behind the garage like a 10th grader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saul R W said:

Yes, this isn't the first time.  It will be my fourth remodeling.  I'll ease her gently into me having a beard, an inch or two at a time.  The pipe, I'll probably have to sneak a few puffs now and then, hiding behind the garage like a 10th grader.

When you stuff your pipe with the brand I smoke you are always out behind the dumpster hiding like a 10th grader. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

Some of us never grow up.  One of these days I hope to at least act like a 20 year old.

Getting old is a given. Growing up is a choice. I figure if I'm going to have to get old I am darn sure not going to grow up. Not willingly anyway. It is almost like surrendering to age. 

Stay funky as long as you can. A short life lived childishly is always better than a long boring one in my book. If you are lucky enough to get old while refusing to grow up it is just double sweet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • well done 2

grandpa on the farm did not believe in insurance. let the little sh-ts smoke in the house, they won't be burning barn. always an open pack lucky strikes in ice-box, barn built 1850, still in good shape, michigan.

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1