Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this a lunar meteorite?

I found this rock years ago, It has parts that seems like vegetable coal because I can erode with my nail, there are and some esferical, not a perfect spheres, of some kind of bright metal, maybe aluminium? maybe nickel? the stone it is low attracted to a magnet if it puts on a string. it's wheight is 57gr.

DSC00729.JPG

InkedDSC00731_LI.jpg

Twink the meteorite lady here in Tucson told me the easy way to identify a meteorite. you need to polish it and look for the nickel spots. several youtube videos can show you how to polish a rock without lapindary equip.

6 minutes ago, bc5391 said:

Twink the meteorite lady here in Tucson told me the easy way to identify a meteorite. you need to polish it and look for the nickel spots. several youtube videos can show you how to polish a rock without lapindary equip.

Lunar meteorites for the most part are not magnetic and contain no or very little metal.

1 hour ago, bc5391 said:

Great advice from Twink the meteorite lady! :rolleyes:

You should grind a "window" in any rock you suspect of being a meteorite. it will teach you a whole lot about rocks as well as meteorites.

The outside of a meteorite often has a glaze or fusion crust. The outside of terrestrial rocks are often oxidized or otherwise altered. You need to grind and polish a spot on the rock deep enough to expose the unweathered interior.

It is a volcanic rock with inclusions IMHO.

But grind a window anyway. At the very least you will learn how to do it and what the rock looks like on the inside. Then go back a few threads and take a look at what a meteorite actually looks like on the inside. Compare and contrast.

Clasts in lunar meteorites/breccia are very angular as there is nothing to erode them smooth on the moon.  All of the clasts in your rock are well-rounded.