Nugget Shooter Forums

I happened to be standing on our front porch last Thursday (Oct 4) at 6:32 PM, when a very bright meteor streaked over the town of Tucson, headed west on a rather flat trajectory. There's a fresh meteorite out there somewhere folks!

• Like 1

Just for the sake of discussion;

If a meteorite was seen from Tucson still burning over the western horizon how far do you think it went before it landed?

I have always assumed the burn time on re-entry is largely determined by the entry angle as well as the size and shape of the object. The composition would also be a big factor in the speed decay rate from cosmic velocities as well as in dark flight.

I have always heard that when the lights went out a meteorite can travel quite a way in dark flight. Again, a lot of factors play in the decay rate. But it is safe to assume they can go a long way after they no longer radiate light.

A solid, aerodynamically shaped iron that was in the ideal size range coming at the optimum angle could cover a bunch of territory between the time it started radiating light and the point it hit the ground. A friable, odd shaped space clod coming in at a steep angle might not fly laterally more than a mile or so. It will probably break up fast and slow down easily as opposed to a solid steel bullet flying low and flat.

We have all seen the video of the meteor skipping off the atmosphere. So we know that the angle of entry and resilience of the object separates the meteors from the meteorites. And the ones that bounce off!

IMHO an iron flying low burning over Tucson might splash in the Pacific. A chondrulicious carbonite might run out of gas before it made Quartzite.

What say ye? Where do we go find this westward streak?

16 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Just for the sake of discussion;

If a meteorite was seen from Tucson still burning over the western horizon how far do you think it went before it landed?

I have always assumed the burn time on re-entry is largely determined by the entry angle as well as the size and shape of the object. The composition would also be a big factor in the speed decay rate from cosmic velocities as well as in dark flight.

I have always heard that when the lights went out a meteorite can travel quite a way in dark flight. Again, a lot of factors play in the decay rate. But it is safe to assume they can go a long way after they no longer radiate light.

A solid, aerodynamically shaped iron that was in the ideal size range coming at the optimum angle could cover a bunch of territory between the time it started radiating light and the point it hit the ground. A friable, odd shaped space clod coming in at a steep angle might not fly laterally more than a mile or so. It will probably break up fast and slow down easily as opposed to a solid steel bullet flying low and flat.

We have all seen the video of the meteor skipping off the atmosphere. So we know that the angle of entry and resilience of the object separates the meteors from the meteorites. And the ones that bounce off!

IMHO an iron flying low burning over Tucson might splash in the Pacific. A chondrulicious carbonite might run out of gas before it made Quartzite.

What say ye? Where do we go find this westward streak?

All you have to do Bob is looks for all the fires it started where it landed!! :inocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

All you have to do Bob is looks for all the fires it started where it landed!! :inocent:

Me follow smoke and when me get close me will find it with I compass. :25r30wi:

• Haha 3

Oh boy here we go LOL, I love this place, I'm smiling right now LOL!!! Tom awesome account I'll be looking for the reports.

Which elicits the question, Would a meteorite STILL retain sufficient heat to ignite brush, timber, dry grass, etc., upon landing? Any VERIFIED cases of meteorites doing so? Just asking...

• Hmmmmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy M said:

Which elicits the question, Would a meteorite STILL retain sufficient heat to ignite brush, timber, dry grass, etc., upon landing? Any VERIFIED cases of meteorites doing so? Just asking...

The general consensus among the meteorite experts is no, but there are many people who swear that this can and has happened but fail to show evidence of it happening, the science just doesn't seem to support this being able to happen.

• Like 2

found burnt lumber left from general patton's desert training, thereby finding the asteroite stony irons. have 724 pictures as they lay, arrow pointing north. no native surface earth rocks look anything like the fall rocks. 

native wetbacks come through sometimes,  always give them water and cans of beans to help them on their way. they have hot peppers in their water containers, guess it helps keep the water good.

2 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

native wetbacks come through sometimes,  always give them water and cans of beans to help them on their way. they have hot peppers in their water containers, guess it helps keep the water good.

You shouldn’t feed the wildlife. :nono:

• Like 1

they were not decedent artificial or fictitious corporate persons or people. they appeared to be less wild looking than me. lived in the gables, couple miles west,  border patrol on hyw 78, they knew wetbacks came by me place to get water/food. 

natives seeking to do no harm require no government. mother nature has no borders. 

ones coming south would give me their earnings to send a money order to their families south of the border, and return north to earn more. in mexico one goes to jail for paying more than three dollars a day to a peon. thank the catholic and morman churches for that. same applies to farm workers along both sides of the borders. evil

when these fall rocks go on the market, sixty percent goes the natives.

don't worry be happy. 

10 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

The general consensus among the meteorite experts is no, but there are many people who swear that this can and has happened but fail to show evidence of it happening, the science just doesn't seem to support this being able to happen.

Don't you know the great Chicago fire of 1871 was started by a meteorite and not Mrs O'Leary's cow.:inocent:

Posted (edited)

The brief few seconds that it takes to slow a met down from cosmic speeds would not be enough time to heat an object of any size. Even if you used a blow torch. 

There is no radiant nor convective heat at all. As the material heats it is stripped off. There is no physical way that a rock re-entering the atmosphere could get hot. 

We know this because of basic physics. You can prove it with math as well as in the field. We have been bringing space vehicles back into the atmosphere from cosmic speeds for a few decades now. Al it takes to keep them cool is a thin carbon tile surface. Because that is the only place heat is created. 

We also know the interior of a meteorite does not get hot because the metal retains its crystalline patterns and there is no physical evidence of heating on any meteorite past the thin crust. No meteorite has ever been found that shows evidence of heating on the inside. If a stone retained enough heat to ignite anything it would change the material in the matrix. In no case has this been demonstrated. Ever.

For anyone to say anything else is to deny physics as well as established science. For some, denying reality is a full time job. We can keep repeating fantasy over and over but only the fools will believe it, or insist it is true despite the laws of physics.

This is the age of "my ignorance is equal to your science" and for some reason we have developed a tolerance for anti-science. If a man insisted the moon is made of green cheese  he would have no audience. But when others adopt a position equally as absurd for some reason we put up with it. Politeness? Political correctness? The reluctance to offend someone with absurd beliefs?  Whatever the reason we give space to ideas that are not only fantasy presented as fact, but genuine delusion. We empower this BS by not flatly rejecting it because it flies in the face of science.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because for some men facts and reality do matter.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I copied this from the link on the topic... "$100,000.00 Door Step"

"The property's seller had watched with his father as the meteorite throttled through the sky and hit the ground one night in the 1930s. “It made a heck of a noise when it hit,” the seller told the unnamed man. The next morning, they found the meteorite, still warm, nestled in a crater."

How many of you actually believe this happened?

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

"The property's seller had watched with his father as the meteorite throttled through the sky and hit the ground one night in the 1930s. “It made a heck of a noise when it hit,” the seller told the unnamed man. The next morning, they found the meteorite, still warm, nestled in a crater."

I actually believe this was an embellished story. Just like most stories retold by word of mouth.

Warm is warm. Hot enough to ignite a fire is a long damned way from warm. But even still....

Heat any piece of iron that size up red hot and leave it for a few hours. Now tell me how a meteorite of that size could retain even warmth overnight. It just is not happening. You can prove it with math. You can prove it by objective testing. You can prove it by analyzing the material in the meteorite. It is simply BS of the stinkiest variety.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Actually, it sounds like the beginning of the "Superman" saga.

• Haha 2

I believe it was an accurate description of their perceptions. Perceptions are often incongruent with physics. Magicians and fake meteorite salesmen dwell in the gap between perception and reality.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

they were not decedent artificial or fictitious corporate persons or people. they appeared to be less wild looking than me. lived in the gables, couple miles west,  border patrol on hyw 78, they knew wetbacks came by me place to get water/food. 

natives seeking to do no harm require no government. mother nature has no borders. 

ones coming south would give me their earnings to send a money order to their families south of the border, and return north to earn more. in mexico one goes to jail for paying more than three dollars a day to a peon. thank the catholic and morman churches for that. same applies to farm workers along both sides of the borders. evil

when these fall rocks go on the market, sixty percent goes the natives.

don't worry be happy. 

It is obvious what the goal is with the "fall rocks" from the "General Patton Fall". The message is crystal clear and written in red ink. The plan is to market them to gullible people and reap a profit from stones that have already been rejected by meteorite experts. The theme on this forum repeated over and over on these threads is a sales pitch to try and convince someone, anyone, that these rocks are genuine. And a secondary objective is to defend others with like minds who have been prosecuted for this very fraud in recent years. 

Truth affidavit bro. Signed by the postmaster. The plan is clear to sell these rocks as meteorites to someone. That is not only a dick move but it is illegal. Don't do it!

Also, please stop making up stories about meteorites, Mexico and "wetbacks". It is complete hogwash. Most of us who live in a reality based world know otherwise from personal experience. A construction laborer in Chihuahua City makes about $5.00 an hour and they are hiring any experienced people. No "wetbacks" are giving you their earnings to send south. And the worthless rocks you intend to peddle are not meteorites.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because at some point we must call it for what it really is.
  • well done 1

common Bob....you know the world is flat...just admit it!!!

There is no point in wrestling with a pig in the mud...you get tired and the pig loves the exercise...

fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

common Bob....you know the world is flat...just admit it!!!

There is no point in wrestling with a pig in the mud...you get tired and the pig loves the exercise...

fred

Fred

If I were to openly discuss trying to sell plated copper as gold nuggets I would be moderated. But this BS sails like a feather in the wind. It aggravates the heck out of me.

I understand school kids use this forum for reference. Language is important. But fake science and fraud is tolerated. I would rather my kids cuss and chew tobacco than believe BS like this.

We are not talking about arguing opinions and world views here. That is a pig in the mud. This is important stuff like reality and facts. And that matters a lot to me. 

Sincerely,

El Luchador Marranito

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad someone with brains and a way with the pen can say it like it is. Thanks for putting into words Bob, science matters! I kinda thought some of these folks were just trying to be funny, but now  i see how some may have a angle for profit.:m2c:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

B'rock Robert said: "... Magicians and fake meteorite salesmen dwell in the gap between perception and reality..." One of my favorite gaps for sure. Hope all is well Bob.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for recognizing that quote Flak! When you throw stuff like that out you never know where it lands unless a guy like you says something. 

I am doing great! That being said I am only as well as the laws of physics and a realistic examination of the circumstances will allow. Not one tiny bit more. And I hope you are the same!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tom Strutton said:

I happened to be standing on our front porch last Thursday (Oct 4) at 6:32 PM, when a very bright meteor streaked over the town of Tucson, headed west on a rather flat trajectory. There's a fresh meteorite out there somewhere folks!

I'm in Tucson, I did not see the one on Thursday night, but did see one on 9/29/2018 at approx 5am quite the site as it exploded

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bc5391 said:

I'm in Tucson, I did not see the one on Thursday night, but did see one on 9/29/2018 at approx 5am quite the site as it exploded

How far do you think the stones travelled after it exploded? One mile? Ten miles? A hundred miles?

As a meteorite hunter isn't that the burning question?

truth is hidden in plain sight.

nearly all natives on mother earth have been enslaved by "words". suggest before using a word, one should refer to, online 1828 webster dictionary.

man- a servant, or an attendant of the male sex.

woman- a female or servant belonging to man or mankind.

miss- private prostitute.

men- are apt  to forget the benefactor, (mother earth), and riot over the benefit.

man can not create, only invent artificial or fictitious things.

me leave you to your thoughts.