Nugget Shooter Forums

OLD COINS: Large Cents-

Are They Worth Keeping? The 1844 date is in pretty good shape. The 1865 was trashed by a Road Roller and flattened out some so I can imagine it's not worth more than melt down value.

LARGE CENTS-1865 AND 1844.JPG

LARGE CENTS 1865-1844.JPG

• Like 2

Heck yeah they are. They are cool old coins. We have only found 1 large cent in all our years detecting and it was my oldest son about 4 years ago. It was placed either on a ore cart track or a railroad track and was smashed with an Indian head penny. Didn't find the indian head but it left the design of it in the large cent. He was excited about it.

20150328_211457.jpg

20150328_211536.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Heck yeah they are. They are cool old coins. We have only found 1 large cent in all our years detecting and it was my oldest son about 4 years ago. It was placed either on a ore cart track or a railroad track and was smashed with an Indian head penny. Didn't find the indian head but it left the design of it in the large cent. He was excited about it.

20150328_211457.jpg

20150328_211536.jpg

One on One. Interesting find. Yeah, I had forgotten how excited kids can get about that kind of stuff.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I responded to your other post asking this question so I will copy that reply and post it here as well.

"The 1844 is definitely worth keeping, it's worth around $15 to $20 in the condition it's in, the 1865, which by the way isn't a 1865 because the last year these coins were minted was 1857 and they started being minted 1839, so it has to be a1845 or a 1855, but appears to be a 1855 which would be worth about the same or maybe a bit more because it "was" in better condition before the damage happened but because of the damage not worth much at all."

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I responded to your other post asking this question so I will copy that reply and post it here as well.

"The 1844 is definitely worth keeping, it's worth around $15 to $20 in the condition it's in, the 1865, which by the way isn't a 1865 because the last year these coins were minted was 1857 and they started being minted 1839, so it has to be a1845 or a 1855, but appears to be a 1855 which would be worth about the same or maybe a bit more because it "was" in better condition before the damage happened but because of the damage not worth much at all."

Probably an 1855, I guess, since, to me, a mangled 5 looks more like a 6 than a mangled 4. Thanks again!

• Like 1