Nugget Shooter Forums

$100,000.00 Doorstop

54 minutes ago, Morlock said:

This seems to be a familiar occurance.

I agree I've heard this story maybe not specifically this one but doorstops a few times now.  Although the flip side is I heard "farmers" in general would plow up these heavy rocks and use them as doorstops. It's like what, all the farmers got together and said hey we all agree to use these as doorstops, doorstops, doorstops, doorstops. :ROFL:

Edited by Rocky

Note the weight and estimated value. This is almost half of what the gentleman from a few weeks ago found. And his was a mesosiderite which adds more value.

38 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

What else would a farmer use a meteorite for?

For that matter what would anyone use a meteorite for?

I cant think of any use for one except a door stop or possibly an anchor. You might throw a few in a tote sack and weight down your trotline. :)

The Tucson ring and the Carleton were used as anvils for a time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

How many times have you heard of a "rock"  used as a doorstop only to find out it was a meteorite. This seems to be a familiar occurance.

http://www.newsweek.com/rock-used-doorstop-30-years-discovered-be-100k-meteorite-1154115

I haven't heard many of these though I'm sure they're out there. One I did experience personally was that my great grandmother used a 40 pound silver ingot as a door stop.

Speaking of the meso guy one of his photos caught my attention because a artifact in a corner that didn't mesh up with the image. I took a screen shot of it to share with you guys, then next thing you know I was on face book and I randomly stumbled upon a image that was identical to the artifact but if I remember correctly the names didn't match. Maybe he was posting under a alias to protect his identity and he placed the artifact on the image like a watermark or it was a sham. Check it out yourselves. First image is the one he loaded of the meso with the peculiar artifact top left, second is a zoomed in image of the artifact in the image of the meso, last image it the one I happen to randomly bump into on facebook, is the really strange or what?

Screenshot_20180830-142211.png

Screenshot_20180830-142204.png

IMG_20181005_104555.jpg

• wow 1

11 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Note the weight and estimated value. This is almost half of what the gentleman from a few weeks ago found. And his was a mesosiderite which adds more value.

Note the speed with which our buddy Skash vanished when the gravity of what he had found hit his frontal lobes.

Meteorites like that are only worth big money in a very rarified community. You have to have some money to be able to afford one first, so that rules out about 90% of humans.

Then you must be smart enough to appreciate them. Lets face it, it is not their looks that makes you fall in love. They are rather ugly as far as rocks go. It is the cerebral satisfaction of holding a piece not of this world. So that narrows the window a little more.

And a person must have time to appreciate them. A fellow who makes his living producing something has no time to shave or eat properly much less ponder a stone from Uranus. If a person has the time to hunt or collect meteorites they are in a very elite group as far as society goes. They have hundreds of surplus hours on their hands to obsess about their hobby after earning a living, doing the chores, raising a family and expanding their lives on all the other fronts that we live on. 

Farmers use them for the only thing they could possibly be used for around a farm. To prop open a door or keep a piece of sheet metal from flapping. Even if they know it is a meteorite it is so far down the list of immediate priorities that it remains a doorstop. 

18 minutes ago, d_day said:

I haven't heard many of these though I'm sure they're out there. One I did experience personally was that my great grandmother used a 40 pound silver ingot as a door stop.

Many if not most of the meteorites Nininger located in NE New Mexico were pulled out of the ground by a farmer preparing the soil. Most of those were in cobble piles or laying around the farm being used as weight.

At least that is the story some guy in a hat told me. He sounded believable. 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Speaking of the meso guy one of his photos caught my attention because a artifact in a corner that didn't mesh up with the image. I took a screen shot of it to share with you guys, then next thing you know I was on face book and I randomly stumbled upon a image that was identical to the artifact but if I remember correctly the names didn't match. Maybe he was posting under a alias to protect his identity and he placed the artifact on the image like a watermark or it was a sham. Check it out yourselves. First image is the one he loaded of the meso with the peculiar artifact top left, second is a zoomed in image of the artifact in the image of the meso, last image it the one I happen to randomly bump into on facebook, is the really strange or what?

Screenshot_20180830-142211.png

Screenshot_20180830-142204.png

IMG_20181005_104555.jpg

Rocky, when you run this to ground, and solve the anomaly, please report back so we can all collectively boo and hiss or make whatever noise that would be deemed appropriate. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BMc said:

Rocky, when you run this to ground, and solve the anomaly, please report back so we can all collectively boo and hiss or make whatever noise that would be deemed appropriate. 

Nah, that guy may be the real deal and maybe it's a water mark he used to I'd his photo?? IDK I'd rather not stir a investigation rather than just share what I found. Who knows maybe he it rolling in it now!!!:WOW: 

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

This

Sorry my post was off topic,  Let get back to that $100,000 door stop. I actually read somewhere people were laughing at the estimation.

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

Nah, that guy may be the real deal and maybe it's a water mark he used to I'd his photo?? IDK I'd rather not stir a investigation rather than just share what I found. Who knows maybe he it rolling in it now!!!:WOW: 

Sorry my post was off topic,  Let get back to that $100,000 door stop. I actually read somewhere people were laughing at the estimation.

I don't doubt for one second skash was legit. We pm'd frequently so I know more then was posted here....then deleted.

5 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I don't doubt for one second skash was legit. We pm'd frequently so I know more then was posted here....then deleted.

Do you know him well enough to ask about the anomaly in the photo?

It isn't a question of whether he is legit or not. The question is about the artifact in the photo. 

There must be a reason for it. It is there.

9 hours ago, d_day said:

The first offical gold nugget found in N.C. weighted 17lbs and was found by a 12 year old boy in 1799, Conrad Reed, he took it home to his father, not much was known about gold and it's value to the common people there so not really knowing it was gold they used it for a door stop for several years, one day the father show the "rock" to a jeweler who recognized it as gold and offered to buy it, the edler Reed sold it for $3.50, a week's pay for a common farmer, Mr. Reed now knowing that he had a valuable commodity on his land partnered up with 3 other men and the Reed gold mine was born, and the Carolina gold rush was on!!

This is also said to be the first gold discovery in the Untied States.

The Reed gold mine is still there but has long since ceased operation but it's opened to the public for tours, panning etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Gold_Rush

• Like 1
  • wow 1

Yeah he pm'd me too. His context was if I could convincingly answer why I think his rock was a meso," MAYBE" he would send me a slice. Something about that just didn't fly with me but maybe I'm old fashion. If I pushed someone for advice and questions and offered reward I wouldn't have made the reward conditional based on how awesome the answer was especially considering the question was coming from someone with limited knowledge of the subject. Maybe skesh could at least chime in. I mean put it this way I requested my thread be removed because of the direction it was heading and I'm still here and I'll speak transparently, skesh on the other hand fed hope, asked for dinner and chewed and screwed. I'm not questioning judgement, just posting the fact. Au Seeker could certainly back me up on his propositions of "slice for great answers" toward me in the emails from him. I would post them but they are all gone from my emails. When I saw the discrepancies in the photos and the way he handled it all I questioned the legitimacy, I was going to keep it private out of respect but hey why not start a interesting topic within a interesting topic.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Just to be clear no topics have been deleted, they have however have been "hidden" from view for regular members, the staff here on the forum can still view any hidden topic/s.

It is possible that in the future any hidden topic can be un-hidden if so desired by the OP or if we decide it should be back on the forum for educational purposes.

13 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Do you know him well enough to ask about the anomaly in the photo?

It isn't a question of whether he is legit or not. The question is about the artifact in the photo. 

There must be a reason for it. It is there.

https://youtu.be/XVSRm80WzZk

1. https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/us/meteorite-doorstop-michigan-trnd/index.html

2. https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/family-discovers-doorstop-4-billion-old-meteorite-143746674.html

3. http://dailybruin.com/2016/06/27/couple-loans-unexpected-find-to-ucla-meteorite-gallery/

4. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/meteorite-doorstop-excites-western-canadian-scientists-1.631938

Maybe I should post an ad: "IRON DOORSTOPS WANTED."

1 hour ago, Tom Strutton said:

1. https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/us/meteorite-doorstop-michigan-trnd/index.html

2. https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/family-discovers-doorstop-4-billion-old-meteorite-143746674.html

3. http://dailybruin.com/2016/06/27/couple-loans-unexpected-find-to-ucla-meteorite-gallery/

4. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/meteorite-doorstop-excites-western-canadian-scientists-1.631938

Maybe I should post an ad: "IRON DOORSTOPS WANTED."

There's been a lot more of them used a doorstops. A couple not far from where I live as a matter of fact.