Nugget Shooter Forums

New to the metal detecting thing,  haven't even got a detector yet.  Been looking for used gold machine and haven't found one i liked yet.  Been thinking of just ordering the gold monster, looks like a killer machine.  Watching bill's videos on it and am hooked.  Been reading a few threads on here for a while and thought I'd join.  Hello everyone!

Hello , you can't go wrong with a Monster , if Gold is all you want to hunt.  Just my opinion but I like the Equinox 800..good for old and coins. Just my thoughts.

Welcome to the forum....Lots of good info here no matter what ya choose.

I currently have a gold bug 2 listed in the Classifieds,  a good detector for gold prospecting,  2 different size coils.  One is a 10 inch elliptical that can cover a good amount of ground, good depth, and good for patch hunting.   The other coil is 6.5" which is killer on the smallest gold, searching bedrock, and easy to maneuver.  I honestly am getting a Gold monster too and why i am selling my gold bug.  This is a hobby that I'm invested in.  Its currently 800 Dollars and I haven't seen any used ones on the market.  If you'd like the gold bug 2,  send me a PM and we can talk about it.  cause you are new to the hobby,  I will probably cut you a deal, to lessen the "sting" a bit.  It is such a fun hobby,  it can be rewarding and frustrating but finding your first detectable nugget is something you'll remember and then you'll be hooked.  $550 is the Current GB2 Listing. 

I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison of the Monster vs Gold Bug 2 but if you ARE looking for gold, the GB2 has a very long history of being the best at small gold which is the majority of what you will be finding if you put your coil over it. Retains it's value if you want to sell at a later date as well. JMHO

• Like 1

Hello L Prock and welcome.

If you have a store near you have you reached out to see if they rent detectors?  Might be something to try prior to buying, I know I wish I would have tried it prior to buying my first detector.

Thanks everyone, mostly into gold detecting now. Have a few mines that i want to check the dumps on. I've thought heavily between a gmt, 24k, gb2, or the gm.  It seems the gm might the easiest to pick up and detect with. My wife wants to toy with it also and she doesn't want to mess with too much to be able to detect. I've seen a few gmt around $300, a few gb2 in the $5s. Then i watch another gold monster video. So still on the fence.  

Not a problem,  on thing I have heard through a couple sources, is that the GB2 is more sensitive with specimen gold (gold that is in a matrix of ironstone or quartz),  if you are interested in detecting mine dumps, the GB2 will probably work better for that.  It is a bit more challenging to manually Ground Balance it, but unless you are in super "hot ground" once its balanced, you will only have to make Miner (hah get it?) adjustments to keep it where you need it.   I have also had the GMT before. I was not very impressed by that machine.  It will work, but I just never got into that detector.

Hope you have good luck no matter what detector you go with! It is a blast of a hobby,  just be sure to not get discouraged even though it can be discouraging sometimes.  keep a persistent positive attitude!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, L Prock said:

Thanks everyone, mostly into gold detecting now. Have a few mines that i want to check the dumps on. I've thought heavily between a gmt, 24k, gb2, or the gm.  It seems the gm might the easiest to pick up and detect with. My wife wants to toy with it also and she doesn't want to mess with too much to be able to detect. I've seen a few gmt around $300, a few gb2 in the $5s. Then i watch another gold monster video. So still on the fence.  

Save some time, buy the Gold Monster 1000 from someone who includes training so you and your wife can learn how to use it together.  :brows:

It may cost more upfront, but the value of the time saved will make it more enjoyable going forward.

If your wife finds a nugget with a detector, you'll probably be going detecting fairly often.  :yesss:

The Gold Bug 2 is still a very capable detector.  If you decide to go that route, find someone who is already successful with it, to teach you how to use it.  Ideally it would be the person who sells it to you.  'Old School' VLFs can still be very effective in the right conditions.  I think the main problem these days is that there just aren't a bunch of guys still running around who know how to use one properly.  The newer, 'convenient' technology is tough to beat when you're just starting out.

Welcome and Good Luck  :thumbsupanim

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
added GB2 stuff
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2018 at 12:38 PM, theace115 said:

I have also had the GMT before.

You have used the new Whites GMT 24K ??  Because that`s the new machine the OP appears to be talking about. 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, L Prock said:

I've thought heavily between a gmt, 24k, gb2, or the gm

I would be very interested in the performance of that new Whites 24K , because if it can equal the GM1000, I would get the GMT 24K.  The gold bug II that "the Ace" is selling would also be a good deal. The new gold monster 1K has also proven itself as a great gold finder , especially in mineralized ground.

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

@adam,  I have not used the GMT 24K, in the first post, there was a comma between the GMT and 24K so I thought they were two separate detectors I have only use the old-fashioned White's GMT.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. And I had the GMT separate from the 24k. I'm really leaning towards the GM, just not in a rush work has me too busy for the next month. 

I have compared the GMT (formerly my absolute favorite VLF gold finder) to the Goldmaster 24k. The Goldmaster 24k is now my favorite machine. More power, more depth, better ground balancing system, more features, lower price, unsurpassed VLF performance. Nuff said? For more information on the 24k check out my Field Test in the October issue of Western and Eastern Treasures. Also check out the YouTube videos on the 24k. HH Jim

• Like 2

Jimmy M , have you tried the Goldmaster 24K on meteorites yet. been looking at one.

Posted (edited)

I am going to post this from the perspective of someone that had never hunted for gold before I like the original poster of this post had never hunted for gold in any form,but I have used a detector for coin and relic hunting since 2009 started out in Ohio in a vary old house that was built in 1889 ended up selling that house and moving back to AZ. in 2013 when I came back to AZ. I moved off grid and wanted to get a detector specifically for detecting gold,I already had two decent detectors for coins and relics a AT PRO and the Minelab X TERRA 705 the 705 does have a dedicated GOLD circuit but I decided I needed a machine that was specifically dedicated for gold detecting I like the O.P was totally confused when it came to gold machines I elected to go with the GM 1000 because of its simplicity of set up and use,I do like it a lot it is vary sensitive to small vary small non ferrous targets but for me I wish I would have waited simply because of one thing I got vary accustomed to the X TERRA 705 running in prospecting mode which is threshold based I miss the threshold sounds that the 705 produces I do love the GM 1000 but I wish the GMT 24 K would have came out at the same time because I would have probably chose it over the GM 1000 simply because of the threshold and being able to here it,with that being said I still do like the GM 1000 a lot it is vary easy to set up, I looked at the 71 KHz gold bug when I first started looking for a gold machine but being new to the gold hunting I elected to go with the GM 1000 because I did not want to have to try and figure all the settings out I have been giving some thoughts to selling the GM 1000 and switching to the new GMT 24 K or just purchasing the 24 K and keeping the GM 1000 but its a hard decision to make as I stated I actually do love the GM 1000 because of its simplicity of use which the GM 1000 is pretty much a turn on and detect gold detector. Hope this all helps the O.P out

One other thing I want to add when the GM 1000 first came out there was a few people reported severe bump issues which I have never had an issue with I do believe some of the reports were do to not really understanding how to properly set the GM 1000 up and running the sensitivity to high in manual there was a few that I believe were having legitimate issues but like I stated I never experienced any of those issues at all.

I will say if the O.P decides to purchase the GM 1000 or any other detector for that matter purchase from a dealer that is willing to give you at least some training on it,believe me it is to your benefit to purchase which ever detector you decide on from a dealer that is willing to at least provide a bit of training and will save you a ton of learning head aches,thats what I did with the first two machines I purchased in Ohio and it saved me a lot of time learning the two machines I purchased unfortunately the GM 1000 I did not take my own advice and it has been a struggle at times understanding it,but I am getting there 

Edited by DSMITH
wanted to add something

AZdiggger, since the 24k is making old nuggetshooting sites productive again, all of my beeping of late has been for the yella, but testing my 24k against my GMT on already-found meteorites, the performance (coil for coil) is just as outstanding. In a few days I hope to be testing (several?) new 24k searchcoil prototypes. Maybe we'll hit some known strewn fields to see what has been missed. Suggestion: if you buy a 24k, get the two-coil Export package. Only $100.00 more then the basic, but that 6" round flat-bottomed Concentric is a nugget killer! HH Jim

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

unsurpassed VLF performance.

That`s a pretty bold statement.  I would like to see it compared to a GM1000  on the smallest of pieces in hotter ground. Since they both seem to be on the same playing field. 

I want to love this new 24K  because I absolutely can not stand the horrible ergonomics of the GM1000. The performance of the GM1000 is mind blowing but the design is absolute crap. Maybe its just me....

Edited by adam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to see the 24k in action, check out the "Spud Diggers" YouTube channel's videos "How to metal detect for gold" and "24k gold Training". Gerry and I are the first two "White's Goldmaster 24k Certified Dealers," largely due to the fact that he and I developed the Certification Program :). HH Jim

• Like 3