Nugget Shooter Forums

What Is This?

3 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Did you see the shape of it?

Yes.... Looks like a rock with two holes all the way through and one partially through. Like the rock had three inclusions that popped out and was weathered a bit. I don't see anything particularly odd about it at all.

It has a neat shape???

13 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Well, it does look like something created by hand. At least to me. This would be perfect for an archeological Rorschach test.... What do you see.

I suppose it could have been ground by hand. It does not look like it to me. It just looks like a naturally formed rock with an interesting shape.

Lots of those holey rocks in my neck of the woods. Low silica volcanics with calcite inclusions. Those inclusions pop out or weather first and leave holes that slowly erode. You get rocks that have the form of melted ice. Lots of holes and crescents where the holes eroded through. 

The back of the rock has a third hole that goes partially through. A pit. So you have holes in all stages. One just a pit or socket. One all the way through. One crescent. 

My mom used to make hard candy. Sometimes that candy would have air bubbles. When it melted in your mouth you could take it out and see the cool shapes the candy made as it dissolved. The air bubbles made pits, holes and crescents just like a holey rock does as it chemically erodes. This is the best analogy I can think of. I think it is accurate though.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

It's remotely possible that it was a tool made for smoothing and straightening arrows.  I've seen something similar at some point in the past.  The hole would have been used for "sanding" arrow shafts smooth, and the hook used for bending and straightening shafts.  Or it might just be a neat rock.

51 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

It's remotely possible that it was a tool made for smoothing and straightening arrows.  I've seen something similar at some point in the past.  The hole would have been used for "sanding" arrow shafts smooth, and the hook used for bending and straightening shafts.  Or it might just be a neat rock.

I like the former as opposed to the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 6:20 AM, Morlock said:

Not exactly the usual rock or mineral indentification  we're accustomed to seeing but interesting. Anyone want to venture a guess?

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0GFRgEPx?s=a3&pd=47032201

Rock used for bow drill.