Nugget Shooter Forums

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Wait, you risked your life scavenging along the banks of the mighty, merciless Hatch?

I was fishing at Lake Deming and decided to take the air boat tour up the Hatch. Found it while snorkeling for oysters near Faywood. 

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I have no clue about any of the other objects. They could be anything. So could this one. But I can give you an observation FWIW.

The hole was stamped in the blank because of the meniscus you see in the center. It was done by a punch and die. The lower right edge is a stressed edge and was probably broken off by bending or vibration. You can see that it is harder in that area (it resists scaling) and is raised as if twisted off. So this is not all of the object. It is a broken part.

On the other side are gouges. Knapping is working with the conchoidal fracture in a silica material. Those are gouges on metal from being hit, probably against the ground or rocks. You can see that side is worked over and it looks a lot like the wear on the underside of a vehicle. That is probably why the piece had been hardened and broke off.

So I would assume it was no older than the industrial revolution. Although it is round now the original shape was something else. And it was some type of part subject to bending or vibrational wear. It hit the ground on one side really hard a lot and the other side was against something and was protected.

The rest are algos brother. Formless rusted artifacts from who knows where. This one too but you can make some observations based on its appearance.

Thanks Bob, sure seems to be more iron artifacts. I still enjoy the many things a metal detector will turn up.:Detector:

• Like 1

Bedrock Bob...that first meteorite...for sure...it's a projectilkite...probably from planet Bowarrow...in the Shooting Star galaxy.  

Joking aside, I guess I didn't know you knapped.  Fine work and tools well made.  I started to get into it a few years ago...just never got anywhere with it.  Still have all my stuff though and a box of a few different kinds of material...mostly novaculite from AR., I think.  Have some mahogany obsidian and slab or two, this and that.  I started collecting modern knapper's work...only have a few pieces from a few knappers now, but I was thinking about sending off on commission some of the material i have.  I need points for my collection and I want decent knappers work.  Your work would qualify!   

Edited by Jarl
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jarl said:

Bedrock Bob...that first meteorite...for sure...it's a projectilkite...probably from planet Bowarrow...in the Shooting Star galaxy.  

Joking aside, I guess I didn't know you knapped.  Fine work and tools well made.  I started to get into it a few years ago...just never got anywhere with it.  Still have all my stuff though and a box of a few different kinds of material...mostly novaculite from AR., I think.  Have some mahogany obsidian and slab or two, this and that.  I started collecting modern knapper's work...only have a few pieces from a few knappers now, but I was thinking about sending off on commission some of the material i have.  I need points for my collection and I want decent knappers work.  Your work would qualify!   

Thanks brother!

I do all sorts of artwork these days. Breaking glass and carving rock hard desert wood was a foundation for sculpting and hammering copper. Now I am fiddling with resin and acrylic pours, stone carving and hybrid art.

I have not knapped a point in a couple years. It really tears up the hands and gives me tendonitis (too many years of swinging a hammer and punching). Now days I try to stick with mediums no stiffer than floetrol.

I still whittle with a pocket knife and I am making some really awesome canes, walking sticks, coup sticks and shillelaghs. Some have hybrid handles and awesome carvings. Maybe I will post some photos one of these days.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 5:56 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

Maybe I will post some photos

Bob ... I for one would be interested in seeing some of your walking stick creations and carvings in general. I'm lousy at making both but have tried my hand at making walking sticks out of maple saplings when I see a good one when out in the woods back in New England. And old much older friend and neighbor showed me how he used to do it and I just took it from there. Just no real items I would be proud to show him if indeed he is still alive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Bob ... I for one would be interested in seeing some of your walking stick creations and carvings in general. I'm lousy at making both but have tried my hand at making walking sticks out of maple saplings when I see a good one when out in the woods back in New England. And old much older friend and neighbor showed me how he used to do it and I just took it from there. Just no real items I would be proud to show him if indeed he is still alive.

Mike,

I have a few nice sotol sticks today. I will post a few photos this evening. I am having trouble keeping up with it all prior to Christmas. I sold five sticks on Saturday and I am almost wiped out.

Good blanks are really hard to come by this year. Very few stalks and lots of carpenter bees. And the sap is still up in the desert hardwood so I am six months from any tornillo or acacia blanks to work with. I am really scrambling for raw materials. I did not expect such a demand for them.

Here is a barrel full of sotol sticks that I made a couple months back. You cant really see the work that well but you can get the general idea. This is just one style of stick. They are all different and individually hand carved.

All my sticks come with a "no snakebite guarantee". If you buy a stick you are guaranteed not to get bitten for life. If you do just return the stick and proof of envenomation and I will gladly refund your money! :inocent:

DSCN0261.JPG...

DSCN0262.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • well done 1

Hopefully this will post but here is one made from a maple root with a right hand grip! Was made for my father ... we burned his name into the side of the cane.

20181029_090551.jpg

• Like 2

BTW ... Just curious but how did we get from Meteorites (as a title of the post not necessarily the content) to walking sticks in the same post? :inocent:

• Like 1

That is a sweet stick Mike! I like the natural handle design and that one is nicely done.

I do a lot of sticks with the natural handle like that out of acacia. A very similar result in dark purple wood. Sometimes I use colored resin or polymer clay to do "inlays". I also use a lot of copper wire and copper pipe to finish ends and do designs. 

Sometimes it has a big knot or burl at the end and I make a coup stick or shillelaghs out of them. They are not that great to walk with but they make awesome conversation pieces. More of an item you would lean in the corner by the fireplace than something you would try to walk with though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

BTW ... Just curious but how did we get from Meteorites (as a title of the post not necessarily the content) to walking sticks in the same post? :inocent:

I chalk it up to AADD and short term memory loss. I see no other logical explanation.

• Haha 1

You have done it to me ... You have peeked my interest in maybe doing a few more of these. I'm sure walking around the desert with my metal detector I am bound to find likely pieces ... just haven't been paying attention. I enjoyed doing it when I was a few years back .. time to get back to it! Maybe if they are good enough I could even turn a few into cash ... that's always a good thing right! :4chsmu1::old:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

You have done it to me ... You have peeked my interest in maybe doing a few more of these. I'm sure walking around the desert with my metal detector I am bound to find likely pieces ... just haven't been paying attention. I enjoyed doing it when I was a few years back .. time to get back to it! Maybe if they are good enough I could even turn a few into cash ... that's always a good thing right! :4chsmu1::old:

I think it is a great idea Mike!

Ironwood is awesome. Palo Verde. Sotol. Knife leaf, Acacia, any Juniper. Even river willow and salt cedar make a nice staff. Most of the desert hardwoods are absolutely stunning. If it has weight and is structurally sound you can make an awesome piece out of it.

Sotol is sweet because it is so light. A handle is easy to attach to the end and you can make an incredible cane in just a couple of hours. When you carry it all the weight is in your hand and not along the stick. It makes them effortless to carry.

The trick is recognizing a suitable piece of wood. Try to get the standing dead wood rather than the downed wood. Standing dead wood is seasoned and (probably) not too rotten. Cut it with a sharp saw and don't break it off. If you break it or manhandle it you will get long structural splits and your blank will be problematic. Some wood is split, too rotten or is filled with bug holes. It takes a few tries to learn what you can work with and what is going to be a problem.

If you cut a living pole cut it a foot too long and tar the ends and dry it inside standing in a corner for at least six months. Then trim it and carve it. You will get a nice structural pole without huge cracks. 

I want to see your designs and what you come up with! I will post a few of mine and maybe it will give you some ideas too!

• Thanks 1

I like the sign mentioning the sticks attributes, Bob but one left out is; weapon.    I studied Kenpo with some giants in the martial arts world, but my favorite BlackBelt was an old timer out in Mesa. With the conclusion of each Kenpo class, he gave me a  private lesson in Cane Fu. Sounds silly but it was anything but. We used oak canes with sharpened points concealed under the rubber tips. Once hooked around an adversaries neck or joint, the crook was a formidable instrument of pain and retribution.

Another advantage the sticks provide is they're allowed anywhere; bars, airplanes, .gov't buildings, etc. I believe under the ADA it is not allowed to even ask if there's a disability that would require the canes/walking sticks use. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Edge said:

I like the sign mentioning the sticks attributes, Bob but one left out is; weapon.    I studied Kenpo with some giants in the martial arts world, but my favorite BlackBelt was an old timer out in Mesa. With the conclusion of each Kenpo class, he gave me a  private lesson in Cane Fu. Sounds silly but it was anything but. We used oak canes with sharpened points concealed under the rubber tips. Once hooked around an adversaries neck or joint, the crook was a formidable instrument of pain and retribution.

Another advantage the sticks provide is they're allowed anywhere; bars, airplanes, .gov't buildings, etc. I believe under the ADA it is not allowed to even ask if there's a disability that would require the canes/walking sticks use. 

My Grandpa was an expert at Cane Fu, he was self taught, he couldn't walk very well :olddude: but he was a master in his rocking chair, I tried my best to stay several feet away from him and his rocking chair just in case I unintentionally "blocked his light" or he wanted your attention, but MAN it would hurt like heck when he gave you a rap on the shin with his cane when you least expected it and you WOULD have a limp for a few days, my Dad got pretty good as well when he reach "cane age", I guess he learn well from the Master!!! :old: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Both a coup stick and a shillelagh is a weapon. And the straight staff has a mighty history as well as a fighting discipline built around it just like "Cane Fu".

I did not mention use as a weapon because I figured that was a given. Also because my market is not selling weapons but works of art. I can sell a whole lot more sticks by not advertising them as weapons and I can sell them at many more venues. So for the purpose of presentation the weapons angle was omitted.

Back when the Irish were disarmed by the English they started the tradition of the shillelagh. It was used to brain their adversaries. And the coup stick was a nearly identical weapon that was used in several ways, but it's ultimate purpose was to smash heads. Both are a hardwood club with a knot on the end intended to deliver a killing blow. I sell both and certainly discuss this with a prospective customer who is admiring them.  I don't advertise them as such nor do I build them with that intent in mind. They will fill that niche nicely though if that is what the customer wants to do with them. 

I may be too naïve or so im told but I don't think most  of todays encourageables would associate an older gent with a cane on his arm as being a well armed fighter.  In fact seeing an older guy with a walking stick might serve to embolden not deter an assault.  Never thought criminals were the brightest bunch.

But nice work, looking good. Ever build any bows? 

• Like 1

I once made an excellent cane from a knotted-at-one-end and straight the rest from a piece of wood the river beavers had eaten the bark off of...

I carved a nice handle and some designs into it...it got lost in a move.

Nice work, Bob!

meandering minds is how this thread morphed into sticks from meteorites....

fred

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, Mike Furness said:

Who's the hijacker?

26 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Who's the hijacker?

That would be me. As is customary.

I don't mind a little hijacking as long as no one is held hostage by it. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey from my perspective this has turned into a very enlightening thread! So hijacking can sometimes work into a positive as it has for me! :old:

• Like 1

When the OP high-jacks his own topic who to say it's wrong  :idunno: , not me! 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

When the OP high-jacks his own topic who to say it's wrong  :idunno: , not me! 

You are allright Skip. Your job is not easy here and you manage to do it well. Thanks! I appreciate your patience and effort.

• Thanks 1

My dog and I just got back from a quick walk around the neighborhood. There is a spot they cleared for development that used to be an old dugout cabin. I have hunted around that spot for years and have found bucketfulls of native pottery and artifacts. Last year they bulldozed it off and installed curb and gutter. A few weeks ago the rain really washed it down and exposed the surface.

I found these in about an hour searching....

DSCN0461.JPG

Two old projectiles. One stone the other lead.

DSCN0462.JPG

I intend to have these tested for nickel forthwith. They obviously fell from the sky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1