Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospecting Rig Help

Uncle Ron

Yo, all, Dodacious and I just got a big ol' (36') motor home and need to get a pull behind rig...I've thought that the Suzuki would be good...Who has one and what's the forum's recommendation?  Thank you for helping!  Cheers, Unc

I've been full timing for 15 years. Any old Samurai or 4x4 Sidekick w/5 speed will work. Many already have base plates and wiring for lights. Just hook 'em up, put 'em in neutral and go. No brake mechanism necessary. Get a Blue Ox tow bar if you can find one.  

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

I've been full timing for 15 years. Any old Samurai or 4x4 Sidekick w/5 speed will work. Many already have base plates and wiring for lights. Just hook 'em up, put 'em in neutral and go. No brake mechanism necessary. Get a Blue Ox tow bar if you can find one.  

Slim, I don't know what most of that means!  Cheers, Unc  But I just now did a search, and still don't exactly know!

13 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Slim, I don't know what most of that means!  Cheers, Unc  But I just now did a search, and still don't exactly know!

The towed vehicle needs a sturdy way to mount a tow bar. They call that a "base plate" which is bolted or welded to the frame. All RV's should have a towing/trailer hitch and the "towbar" connects the 2 vehicle. Most RV's have been set up to wire a towed vehicle and you need to connect the RV's lights and turn signals to the towed vehicle when towing. 
Some vehicles CAN NOT be towed, including most with automatic transmissions. Some vehicles are heavy and need a braking system.  Before buying a vehicle to tow, you need to be sure that it can be towed and what you need to be able to do it. There is a reason you see so many Samurais & Sidekicks behind RV's.  
Blue Ox towbars have adjustable arms and are real easy for 1 person to hook up. 
Let me know if you have more questions. I'm on my 2nd Samurai. You saw the 1st one. My current one is a 1987 Samurai JX Tintop that grew up in the CA desert. It has no rust and is all stock except for 4" lift kit. I had the stock engine totally rebuilt and put in a remanufactured transmission. I don't want to sell it but I have been approached by lots of people who want to buy it. 

• Like 3

For what I do now, I'd get a two wheel car dolly.

I do not have a motorhome, went with an RV, but did see that there were kits to hook most small vehicles up to tow.  Don't remember exactly what, but I think it was to pump transmission fluid through to keep the transmission at a reasonable temp.  My car is not worth very much in Kelley Blue Book, but at the time I thought it was cheaper to install that kit in my car than to purchase a Samurai that didn't need one.  Also, later I found out I could get a tow wheel car dolly and tow just about any vehicle provided I keep it off the drive train, which in my case front wheel drive would be the front.  Probably cheaper than the other kit for my car's cooler.

I also like the idea of a roadworthy side by side towed on a trailer.  I saw a few of those at the campground going around Havasuu City.  Nice, But pricey.

Slim and Fred make good points, they are capable off road vehicles, not too fast but  who wants to go fast over the kind of terrain you will be in anyway....  About the stopping every two hundred miles and running the engine, that has to do with providing lubrication to a particular transmission bearing which is not being lubricated when towed, but the procedure is well explained on some posts on the Suzuki forum....  Just need to check it out...  I know Walt the Whiz also is a fan of the Samurai....  They are fun and dependable enough if mechanically sound and operated reasonably...  Have fun!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

dolly is it is another thing to have. And, not much clearance...

One thing about the Samuri is you have to stop every 200 miles or so and run the engine....but, I have to stop that often anyway just to walk about...

Thanks for the tip on the Dolly.  A motorized rig for me is a few years down the road, but I never suspected clearance for a dolly.  Was at an RV show today asking some questions about how much the rig could tow, and he pointed out the 5k hitch, but he was quite vague in answering whether I could tow a car with a reasonably loaded camper up and down the 5% grades going North on 17 out of Phoenix.  He did say he had no trouble with his diesel rig, but couldn't give me a good answer on the cheapest gas rig.

Nearer term I want something small to pull behind the pickup for remote areas.  Now I'm considering getting a 10k car trailer for a frame and building a custom camper.  Going through some ideas now.  Basically want something durable you can get up the dry creeks and live off better than a pop up for a while.  There's some internet stuff on building some small trailers.

• Like 3

I think the simplest short term thing is just to hook up my small flat bed and get my old honda street legal ...Prob less than $100...Thanks for the input , guys!Cheers, Unc

• Like 2