Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

Working on the YOTO

About a week or so ago I started out to "clean" the YOTO out and get it all ready for the upcoming prospecting season. Well, one thing led to another and then this happened! Lot of work but well worth it. Have a ton of storage in the sides now and the back is nice and clean. 1f642.png Had to make a map of where everything is stored.I carry a lot of extra stuff in case it breaks down back in the hills. Yah! its done.

DSC04797.JPG

DSC04798.JPG

DSC04802.JPG

DSC04805.JPG

DSC04809.JPG

DSC04810.JPG

DSC04811.JPG

DSC04812.JPG

DSC04813.JPG

• Like 1
  • well done 7

Great craftsmanship! I noticed the new hardware and the fabric backing on the doors. Excellent detail!

If I had storage like that I would need a new set of springs to haul all of the junk I would stuff in there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks SUPER Tom. A lot of hard work.  When will you start on  my Suburban?

• Like 3

Patrick:  Yahhh....Im pretty certain that's not going to happen :)

Bedrock: Thanks for noticing the "details" Its something only I will see, but if I didn't do it, every  time I opened a door I would be saying "why didn't I cover the back of these?"

Tom H.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looks great Tom!

I bet its quitter inside

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Nice job Tom, with a bit of foam you could sleep comfortably in there now!!

Foam away from home. It is a must.

I cut mine to fit the rear area and then sewed together a couple of sheets like a big pillowcase. So the foam did not fill with trail dust in the back of the vehicle. If things get dirty you can just pull off the case and wash it. It made the foam last for many years and kept the dust from choking the crap out of you when you lay your head down on it after miles of dusty road.

Down here everyone must go through a Border Patrol checkpoint to get out of town. Once in a blue moon they break down the whole rig and go through all your stuff. They would have a lot of fun with all that stuff in those side compartments.

I made a little stow away compartment for my rifles under the bed in my camper. It became a major point of contention twice. It took me an hour to get through the inspection on one occasion and seemed to cause a whole lot of concern. I thought they were going to saw the back end off my camper looking for something after finding the compartment.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

Very nice work Tom.  :thumbsupanim

Retirement suits you well.  :)

Luke

• Like 1

That would make a great drug smuggling vehicle !  Say Tom, may I borrow your truck for the weekend? :inocent: 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, adam said:

That would make a great drug smuggling vehicle !  Say Tom, may I borrow your truck for the weekend? :inocent: 

Sure! Just as long as you take it out prospecting..............(Tom heads out to the truck to install the GPS tracker) :4chsmu1:

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very nice work Tom,

Are those round discs on the doors Neodymium magnets ?  They are sure handy for everything from pictures on the fridge to gas tank fill door latches...  I think I got a bunch of various sizes from the "Gauss Boys" years ago.  Had fun with a big one under a table top in a restaurant moving a knife across the table, had the waitress going for a while....  Great job thank you for posting the inspiration.  If anybody has an old hard drive the magnets in them are scary strong, my old one broke in half and I still have half stuck to a Bunkster pick.

• Like 1

Ya did a great job on that interior Tom, now you went and made it so pretty you're have to worry about scratching it. next thing Ya know your going to put a real paint job on the outside, Geese. :D  maybe I missed it but I didnt see a 12v air pump on the list. AzNuggetBob

Pairadiceau: Yup! Magnets :)

Bob....Its in there..compressor, bottom right.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.  Next is the head liner.....and like Bob said, might paint it.

Then im going to enter it in SEMA and see if I get the "prettiest PIG with lipstick" award :)
Tom H.

• Like 2

Hey Tom ... I know a guy that does great rattle can camo paint jobs ... and he's not far away either ... guys first name is Dave! ... maybe it's possible ... you might know him! :25r30wi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been after him to do a paint job on that thing for quite a while.  He says that it would ruin the 'mystique' of it.  Really we ram that thing in places that a bike or four wheeler wouldn't go.  Paint can paint wouldn't last very long with the punishment the finish takes on the Yoto.  I'm anxious to see just what he will do when I throw my muddy boots and buckets of dirt that I am going to go through at home.  I think that Tom might have an ulterior motive in that he will want to leave me and the big RV at home and go out by himself and sleep in the thing over night.   :th_rain-umbrella:

Old Tom

• Sad 1

Tom are you going to repaint it? but that Az. pinstiping is a badge of nugget hunting honor for many of us.and even if you dont find any gold you still have a lot of fun scratchin it. kind of like your pick, keeps it from gettin rusty  .:ya:
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Haha 1

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, Old Tom said:

I've been after him to do a paint job on that thing for quite a while.  He says that it would ruin the 'mystique' of it.  Really we ram that thing in places that a bike or four wheeler wouldn't go.  Paint can paint wouldn't last very long with the punishment the finish takes on the Yoto.  I'm anxious to see just what he will do when I throw my muddy boots and buckets of dirt that I am going to go through at home.  I think that Tom might have an ulterior motive in that he will want to leave me and the big RV at home and go out by himself and sleep in the thing over night.   :th_rain-umbrella:

Old Tom

Old and Wise One.  He wouldn't be welcome in any camp if he left you home 

Patrick 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Great workmanship, I don't think my A.D.D. wou

But seriously, that's the kind of detail my dad insisted on.

He once met me at my homestead in Datil, and we stayed up late around the campfire organizing my new but plastic tool box; cleaning every item, even cutting carpet to fit in each slot. Next morning we got excited watching coyotes chase antelope. We piled into my truck to go look over a ridge and boom I ran right over and crushed the tool box. Can laugh at that now..

If you haven't already, throw one of these in a storage space.

https://www.rei.com/product/860034/lifestraw-water-filter

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Foam away from home. It is a must.

I cut mine to fit the rear area and then sewed together a couple of sheets like a big pillowcase. So the foam did not fill with trail dust in the back of the vehicle. If things get dirty you can just pull off the case and wash it. It made the foam last for many years and kept the dust from choking the crap out of you when you lay your head down on it after miles of dusty road.

Down here everyone must go through a Border Patrol checkpoint to get out of town. Once in a blue moon they break down the whole rig and go through all your stuff. They would have a lot of fun with all that stuff in those side compartments.

I made a little stow away compartment for my rifles under the bed in my camper. It became a major point of contention twice. It took me an hour to get through the inspection on one occasion and seemed to cause a whole lot of concern. I thought they were going to saw the back end off my camper looking for something after finding the compartment.

Well next time hand them a check list so they can help you inventory it. next time they will probably leave you alone.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Bob: Yah, im going to repaint it soon. Have to. Its getting a lot of rust spots on it.

Edge. Thanks for the compliments. I do carry 5 gallons of Drinking water in the YOTO all the time.

Tom H.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Give some thought to have having your rig painted in bed liner of some type. Last good, covers impefections, looks good.  I hear Monstaliner is the toughest, maybe a army green or desert tan would look good. DIY and save a bundle.

Edited by Mxt Sniper
  • Like 1