Nugget Shooter Forums
theace115

Lets hope this holds....

Getting ready for an amazing Wickenburg trip this weekend.  Put some gun racks on to hold my beepers... and jerry rigged a couple milk crates to hold the rest of the supplies!!  Next project will be installing a light bar on the bumper.  Any advice from the pros?

20180926_173451.jpg

Get a bigger ride    :ROFL:

I can say that , I have a polaris ranger

• Like 1

Good way to break a lower shaft.   I know as I speak from experience.   Better to case is someway such as an archery bag  as it is padded...

• Like 2

I think i like the padded bag idea.  I may try to get a pool noodle or something for this trip cause i leave tmw and work tmw too :-/  not much time tonight to do anything 

Drive in reverse so nobody can track you..

• Like 3

What size coil is on that gb2? If it's not the 6 inch get one asap!!! No sarcasm..

• Like 2

Man you must have a lot of stuff.   I only bring a tank top :89:

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

@boulder dash, its the 6" coil,  only way to go!! @adam,  it may only end up being one crate of crap, and a cooler.  Idk yet.  

Be careful of the brush..  It can catch your detectors and break some stuff before you get started.  When on my yamaha grizzly 4x4 I always mounted my detector parallel with the tires.  I too carried a lot of gear as well.  Now days... I take the polaris ranger most of the time.    Good Luck!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Be careful of the brush..  It can catch your detectors and break some stuff before you get started.  When on my yamaha grizzly 4x4 I always mounted my detector parallel with the tires.  I too carried a lot of gear as well.  Now days... I take the polaris ranger most of the time.    Good Luck!!

I was thinking the same thing about the metal detector being too wide.  It's the desert, but there's so much overgrowth on the trails, especially the little travelled ones.  All I imagine is the sticks hitting the control box on one side and the coil on the other as it clears the way for the quad like a cattle plough on an old fashioned train or like a snow plough.

• Like 1

I don't do ATV's. My rig is a bit wider than yours. But you will find that anything sticking out that can grab is going to get snapped off or bent. I don't mount jerry cans, racks, antennas or anything else on the sides of any vehicle because in the desert, sooner or later, that stuff is torn off. Those detectors are going to get damaged.

I have no idea about weight distribution on one of those rigs or where the load is supposed to be situated. That looks like it is all up front. Coming down a step hill with the brakes on might just get that thing to nose dive? 

My strategy is to keep it simple. I put it all in or on my backpack so loading the vehicle is easy. And when I load the vehicle with anything I put it lengthwise with the direction of travel. That way if you go through brush or get up against an embankment things just slide along.

I would rig one of those ATV's exactly like a horse or a mule. The requirements would be about the same and the trail dynamics would be similar. Keep it flat to the sides pointed to the rear with nothing sticking out. Keep it over the legs (or springs) and evenly distributed. And keep it to a bare minimum or they will slide, stumble or go over on you. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

Good Clear vision, with this setup, and it hauls a lot of goods an 2 people.   Just another day in Paradise !
ALL rifle mounts are not created equal. 

WP_20170823_045.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Straight would say, "travel light" less is more sometimes.
Might take you a few times out to figure whats wanted and whats needed.
Organize , reorganize, whatever it takes make it "your way" !

• Like 4

A couple of my ATVs...

photo-15835.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • well done 1

4 minutes ago, Edge said:

A couple of my ATVs...

photo-15835.jpg

That's the way to go for a serious prospecting trip. You just have to find an area where ATVs can't get to along with having a good potential for gold.

• Like 1

Way to go Edge! Mules are awesome people! A really Cadillac ride!

You mentioned the fact that the only thing that kept a horse in control was a rope or a rider. That is so true. But a good mule that has not been too badly cowboyed is as reliable as a good dog. In my limited experience a mule is a much different dynamic than most horses. 

No vehicle ever invented will best the mule for mountain travel. And no piece of knowledge will get you farther into the wilderness than how to rig a diamond hitch. JMHO.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I will Shrink up the Detector shafts and make sure they are within the "boundaries" of the quad.  I'm pretty safe when it comes to wheeling,  plus, i will have an additional bungee wrapped around the detectors so if the rifle mounts fail i don't have 1,000 pounds running over a detector.  this is really my first trip taking the ATV Golding where we will be using a trail to get into the spot.  if i need to stop and readjust and move stuff around, it will happen.  Mules are the best ATV's Around. 

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Way to go Edge! Mules are awesome people! A really Cadillac ride!

You mentioned the fact that the only thing that kept a horse in control was a rope or a rider. That is so true. But a good mule that has not been too badly cowboyed is as reliable as a good dog. In my limited experience a mule is a much different dynamic than most horses. 

No vehicle ever invented will best the mule for mountain travel. And no piece of knowledge will get you farther into the wilderness than how to rig a diamond hitch. JMHO.

It's occurred to me that if you find yourself waiting for a buddy to come borrow your mule, you might be a redneck.

Good luck, Theace. I have a claim betwix Wickenburg and Stanton, tough to get to, heading there tomorrow.

Diamond hitch, Bob you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.

IMG_20160301_183756984.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone who has spent much time past the last pavement appreciates our pals with the big ears and tiny feet. 

One time many years ago I spent a wild night in sheer terror trying to save 11 mules. They were tangled in a picket line in an ice storm from hell. There was sweat and blood and yelling for three hours. Trees fell on us and ice covered us inches thick. At one point I was certain I would not make it. Thanks to the mules I did. And thanks to me they did too.

We were 8 miles from the Jacks Creek trailhead in the Pecos Wilderness. Despite the falling trees and ice, despite the rope burns and the twisted legs, despite me being an inexperienced horseman, we all made it without serious injury. If those had been horses it would not have gone that way. They would have been crazy frightened and they would have killed me trying to get their legs untangled and out of the picket line/tree wreck mess.

Since that time I have had a deep respect and bond with mules. I don't own any nor do I intend to, but they are animals that are very dear to me. And I know just enough about them to be able to verify that they have no equal in the wilderness. No beast or machine could even begin to have as much value. Very few animals are as loving and loyal. They are our natural companions every bit as much as a dog and I hold them in highest reverence.

...I learned the diamond hitch wrangling for an outfitter in the fall of 2005 in the Pecos Wilderness. We had two strings of 17 mules each that made a 16 mile daily round trip. We started at 10K altitude and went up to 13K on the ridge. The outfit was two Freighters and a Wrangler on each string with 14-15 in the pack string. We serviced about 25 hunters and packed for several outfits. We recovered elk, found lost animals, picked up tired hunters, hauled freight and basically served as a contract freight service along the headwaters of the Pecos.

Finding dead elk, cutting them up and loading them on a pack mule, and hauling it out to the trailhead was a full time job. So was hauling all that stuff in so the rich guys could party and stay comfortable.  We were radio dispatched from the outfitter at the trailhead so we often responded to calls as situations developed. When it was all over we loaded all that crap up and hauled it back to Jack's Creek. So I musta loaded about a bazillion mules that went about a bazillion miles that fall.

• Like 2

Theace, sorry to have hijacked your thread, hope you let us know how it goes.

I'm a horseman trying to graduate to full muledom, they are a creature all to themselves. I've owned 3 mules, 3 donkeys and countless horses.

I too was caught in an epic ice storm that lasted 6 days. The horses faired as poorly as the mules. But we all barely got out alive.

46 minutes ago, Edge said:

Theace, sorry to have hijacked your thread, hope you let us know how it goes.

I'm a horseman trying to graduate to full muledom, they are a creature all to themselves. I've owned 3 mules, 3 donkeys and countless horses.

I too was caught in an epic ice storm that lasted 6 days. The horses faired as poorly as the mules. But we all barely got out alive.

Yeah Ace! Sorry buddy!

I have the attention span of a pack rat and cant hold a train of thought. Then someone post a photo of a mule doing their job and my mind goes completely agog.

Give that vehicle a sweet name like "Ruby" or "Ginger" and talk to her while she is picking her way through the rocks. Keep a pocket full of molasses treats to parlay when things get dicey. Always show your kindness when the trail gets a bit crunchy. Brush her dry every time you take off that saddle and never put a stinky blanket on her back. And add some fuel stabilizer in the tank once in a while because ethanol will cause a lot of water to condense in the fuel system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Go get'em ace!  For all that gear you're bringing, I expect the gold to be proportional scaled in size :inocent:

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

I am going with one of the best guys around... he knows who he is...   ive got my eyes at least pulling out an ounce of gold haha!!!  No pressure!!

You guys didnt hijack my post at all.  It was interesting reading through the mule and horse stuff!!!   I like when a simple topic can become a discussion, and i got some good advice from this post so no need to apologize.

Thank you everyone for your replies :-p

• Like 2

Good luck to you and have fun!
Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Man I would break down the detector and stow it better.   Sure A Chit I would snag that puppy on a branch or something a Bust it Good.