Nugget Shooter Forums

Whazzit?

I found this in an old mining camp from the late 1800's. I have decided to call it some sort of a portable forge. I have no idea what it really is, but I can visualize air being pumped through the housing and a lump of coal sitting there in the "bullseye". 

What do you think it is?

DSCN0426.JPGDSCN0427.JPG

DSCN0428.JPG

• Like 1

Close Old Gas Burner.  If it's large most likely from a Boiler.  I seen them used in old old gas stoves.   A jet of Gas was shot into  that long arm  and in training air along with it set up a vortex of flame at the end.  Not quite the same but you can see how it was used.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cast+Iron+Gas+Stove+nozzle+photo&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP9u3C7NPdAhWC8YMKHW6ADXgQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1366&bih=632#imgrc=gsdqVUiVf0LeRM:

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

Just realized that was a leg in the photo.  LOL,  Going with was used in Gas Boiler or Steam Engine. 

https://www.netl.doe.gov/research/coal/energy-systems/gasification/gasifipedia/history-gasification

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

I agree it is a burner. And there may be a flame shield piece missing from it.

It is big. About 18" long and weighs almost 20 lbs.  It certainly could have been one of a series on a boiler or a big hot water heater. There is the site of an old village there and they had a brothel/hostel and a blacksmith too.

I was thinking it was something the blacksmith had going because I found a tong and some old melted metal in the immediate area. But it certainly could have been a burner on a boiler at the hostel.

I would not have imagined they had any sort of natural gas or propane in that canyon. But I suppose anything is possible. I know they often used wood gas and kerosene gas to fire boilers. That may be the story here. Anyhoo I think you are right that it was a burner of some sort. Exactly what type of fuel it burned I am not sure. 

Gasification  was in use way back in yester years !    They could have been using Coal or wood to produce the gas.  If it was some major mining operation my bet is they imported coal.  Used it for all their Chit.  Smelters , Gas, Heat ? 

I built  a small one some years back just to see if I could.  It worked.  Made a ell of a Mess but worked.  LOL       Take a  old metal paint can with lid.  Put a few hand fulls of Scrap would ( upa Wood ) inside . Punch a pencil size hole in the lid and Seal.  Heat the can on a camp fire or what ever heat source your flavor.  You just need to get it hot enough to char the wood.  After the smoke and steam pumping out of the hole starts to taper down , touch a flame to it.   You Have Wood Gas.    NO it will not go KABOOM.  Now when your all done playing , open the can and save your Char Coal for other uses. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, homefire said:

Gasification  was in use way back in yester years !    They could have been using Coal or wood to produce the gas.  If it was some major mining operation my bet is they imported coal.  Used it for all their Chit.  Smelters , Gas, Heat ? 

..Now why didn't I think of that... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bedrock Bob