Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook Finds


DT13

Recommended Posts

Great news! I made use of my time at Holbrook this weekend. It was very hot and I thought my rental might get stuck but with the help of Bob and other guys on this forum I got where I needed to be and after a few hours of scavenging around I found some little Holbrook mets. I think the rain we had earlier in the week and the high winds played to my advantage as most of the top layer had been mixed around quite a bit. Thanks for the help with my first finds!

9AAF80B8-431F-4F53-93FF-E60AA3ED6568.jpeg

72A8DC0B-FB1A-48BA-93C0-AE876B7251AE.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • well done 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I look for sexy meteorites.

 

Side note: there is no research showing that either sex is more intelligent.  Males do have larger brains, but that's about the only factually accurate statement that can be made in that regard.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Edge said:

Well done, but "Very hot?" Haha, first time to AZ?

Hotter than September in Delaware 😬! It’s beautiful out West though I try to get out this way every so often for training. I’ll take desert heat to the nasty 24/7 Florida humidity any day!

Edited by DT13
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Yep nice work, what side of the tracks were you on? Congrats on your finds:thumbsupanim

North side of the tracks, roughly in this area.7776F6B7-7A38-4C2D-99E3-27CFDFC6F2A2.jpeg I didn’t want to press my luck hopping the fence along the tracks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DT13 said:

I don’t know about all that but thanks it was good fun!

 

4 hours ago, Tom Strutton said:

Congrats. You make finding meteorites look easy.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DT13 said:

Hotter than September in Delaware 😬! It’s beautiful out West though I try to get out this way every so often for training. I’ll take desert heat to the nasty 24/7 Florida humidity any day!

Come down to the Sonoran or Mohave in July, you might reconsider.

Congrats again, are you working on Kirkland; USAF vet here.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a guy in a camper parked along the road that parallels the tracks to the West of me so I tried to stay shy of that area. I assumed he was rock hunting as well. I looked all over along the road and in the fields close to it. I completely struck out and ended up finding two in a blowout area that had fairly loose dirt along where rain water must have ran through earlier that week. I also looked around the areas with vegetation. I almost threw in the towel because there were so many rocks and I don’t have “the eye” yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Edge said:

Come down to the Sonoran or Mohave in July, you might reconsider.

Congrats again, are you working on Kirkland; USAF vet here.

 

 

 

I’m sure I would! Yes sir I am, Kirtland is like my second home. Aerial gunner turned instructor flight engineer on the combat search and rescue H-60s. I’m back here for an aircraft mishap investigator course. Appreciate your service. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Come down to the Sonoran or Mohave in July, you might reconsider.

Congrats again, are you working on Kirkland; USAF vet here.

 

 

 

Yeah DT13, Holbrook and Burque are both pretty temperate spots.

The Chihuahuan Desert just south of you is a whole bunch hotter as well. Maybe one of these days you will make a trip to Las Cruces/El Paso. It Is not nearly as hot as the Mojave or the Sonoran deserts because it is really high altitude. But it is a couple full steps hotter than Holbrook or Albucrazy.

Hit it in the winter months. Tee shirt weather every day at 3:00. Jacket weather by 5:00. Frost on the ground in the morning and tee shirt weather by 3:00 again. It is like that about 8 months out of the year and never a cloud passes over the sky. South of Soccorro the sun shines about 355 days a year and a rainy day is cause for celebration.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DT13 said:

There was a guy in a camper parked along the road that parallels the tracks to the West of me so I tried to stay shy of that area. I assumed he was rock hunting as well. I looked all over along the road and in the fields close to it. I completely struck out and ended up finding two in a blowout area that had fairly loose dirt along where rain water must have ran through earlier that week. I also looked around the areas with vegetation. I almost threw in the towel because there were so many rocks and I don’t have “the eye” yet. 

Those mesquite hummocks in that area are constantly shifting and blowing out. An excellent place for deflation to reveal new finds with every wind. You can find nice rocks every year that are freshly exposed.

Once you see that sheen they jump out at you. It takes a bit to tune your eyeballs to that wavelength. Once you zoom in on it they start jumping out of the sand and into your pocket.

I used to know a guy that was so good at hunting Holbrook he could just stomp his foot really hard to get them loosened up and then wave his magnet around. Every met in a six foot circle would pop up out of the dirt like a melon sprout!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DT13 said:

I’m sure I would! Yes sir I am, Kirtland is like my second home. Aerial gunner turned instructor flight engineer on the combat search and rescue H-60s. I’m back here for an aircraft mishap investigator course. Appreciate your service.

Gunner on ....130?

Appears you do have the eye

 If course getting coordinates from Bob didn't hurt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Edge said:

Gunner on ....130?

Appears you do have the eye

 If course getting coordinates from Bob didn't hurt?

Helicopters HH-60 Pave Hawk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Edge said:

Gunner on ....130?

Appears you do have the eye

 If course getting coordinates from Bob didn't hurt?

I would never give anyone coordinates that hurt. But then I would never give anyone coordinates.

I left a trail of bread crumbs that saved him a couple hours research on the internet. I gave him the pointy finger. He figured it out all by himself and then he went and did it. He started with a whole lot less than 99% of the guys that have hunted Holbrook and came back with more than 99% of them.

So that right there is how that story goes...:inocent:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I would never give anyone coordinates that hurt. But then I would never give anyone coordinates.

I left a trail of bread crumbs that saved him a couple hours research on the internet. I gave him the pointy finger. He figured it out all by himself and then he went and did it. He started with a whole lot less than 99% of the guys that have hunted Holbrook and came back with more than 99% of them.

So that right there is how that story goes...:inocent:

It’s true! No coords but it was certainly nice to know that the area I was headed to was indeed somewhere that was accurate. I’m hooked now though 😬

  • Like 2
  • well done 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DT13 said:

It’s true! No coords but it was certainly nice to know that the area I was headed to was indeed somewhere that was accurate. I’m hooked now though 😬

 All the better and thanks for your service.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DT13 said:

There was a guy in a camper parked along the road that parallels the tracks to the West of me so I tried to stay shy of that area. I assumed he was rock hunting as well.

It's all private property there, but I think most of the people that live in campers just squat there.  The one long-time camper resident appears to have abandon his home as of my last visit there, but his little parcel was fenced so he may have been a valid owner.  I still want to try to purchase a piece of property in the strewn field just because it would be neat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...