Nugget Shooter Forums

TWO BOX "DEEP SEEKER" DETECTORS

BMc

TWO BOX DEEP SEEKER DETECTING AROUND GAGE, NM WITH A FISHER GEMINI 3:

Since 2-Box detectors ignore small surface metal/trash etc., they tend to be useful for locating buried metal objects the size of a quart oil can and larger, and will detect to a considerable depth on larger metal targets. Potential prospecting uses include lode/ore vein hunting, pocket hunting, gold chimneys on fault lines etc. The photos show an old trash dump site at the mining camp of CHANCE, near Deming, NM containing rusty cans, remains of a deteriorated leather boot and a large lump of coal. This dump contained numerous lumps of coal, (among other things) and several interesting old bottles (not shown )which were quickly grabbed by a collector friend who was detecting with me.  

FISHER 2 BOX.PNG

FISHER 2 BOX-2.PNG

• well done 1

1 hour ago, Hoser John said:

Isn't that a old school fisher gemini 2? John

Well John, I'm glad you brought that up. I believe I bought it in '97 or '98, and it may have been an old school relic, since it was being used by an old school relic. :)

I sold it to Darryl Nelson of Reno Prospector's a few years later. But my recollection was that it was a G-3, because it did have the VCO feature (Voltage Controlled Oscillator), which produced a variable audio response that increased in both volume and pitch as the target was approached. That upgrade from the Gemini 2 resulted in better target pin pointing, according to the literature, and I found that it did work for me as advertised.

What about it's appearance in the photos makes you think it was a G-2, I am curious to know?

I had a Garrett two box years ago. Well it wasn't strictly a two box. It was an attachment for a specific model metal detector. But it worked but with a lot of false signals. Even though I was in my 40's when I was using it, it just wore me out digging "nothing" and a few deep targets. Never found anything of worth unless you want to call aluminum cans valuable.

I'm sure there's specific areas where they could be used with better results...I just never found one.

• Like 1

That has been my experience Morlock. I borrowed a two box detector to try at Glorieta and it was very frustrating. We wound up with a Pulse Star and man what a difference!

I suppose if you gave it enough time and patience a guy might get proficient at finding deep objects with a two box outfit. A big PI like the Lorenz or the Pulse Star is the way to go IMHO. 

Bob...I don't even think the two box I had at the time was a true two box. Garret had a top of the line detector and offered the two box as an attachment.

Two box PI's probably didn't even exist at time when I had the Garrett.

I have read reviews of the Lorenz and the Pulse Star and those would be the way to go for someone wanting to find deep targets. But do you know how hard it is to dig a 3, 4, 5 foot hole? Just food for thought...

I do indeed know how hard it is to dig a 5 foot hole....

The one we were using was a Garrett machine. Exactly what model I have no idea. I am sure it was the best that it could be for what it was designed for. It was very difficult to locate and dig a target. 

The Pulse Stare was a whole lot better. And the coil was really cool. You could wind it just about any way you wanted. It could be small like a regular search coil or a 4X4 square. You could hit stuff the size of your finger or something big many feet deep. 

Anyhoo, it looks like the Gemini 3 can find all kinds of stuff too. :thumbsupanim

Edited by Bedrock Bob

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hoser John said:

Color,layout and configuration. I had one for years but after 8' hole to find a old wire wheel kinda just sold as that killed the shine. John

Thanks Hoser John,

I looked up the specs on mine to confirm it was a G-3. The G-2 didn't have VCO, according to the literature. I had a lot of fun with mine, and dug my share of trash targets, but that's what I got it for, mostly. It was a killer at finding stuff at old mining camps, and similar locations. I found a bunch of relics, old bottles, even intact, not damaged, collectible tableware and china at some of the gold diggings in the Sierra Nevada range. The big advantage of a two-box is it's ability to by pass all the small rusty junk metal that typically litters the ground of a mining camp, or old home site. I once found a small metal box buried about a foot deep that contained a silver locket and several hand made, baked clay marbles, at the eroded ruins of an adobe house that dated from the 1840's. The marbles were worth more than the locket. And, it doesn't take two people to operate it. I only sold mine, because I was carrying around 5 detectors and several guns in my cab over camper,( that was not very secure). I knew that eventually, I would come back at day's end and find them gone, so I reluctantly sold off several items while I was on the road.

Yeah, I could see that an 8' foot hole with nothing to show for it might be a real downer. And of course, that's a judgement call, whether to dig it or not. I once paid my 16 yr old nephew $20..00 to dig an 8 footer for me, because the site had good potential. He hardly even worked up a sweat and was so excited about keeping on going, I had to order him out of the hole. But I decided, once we hit the burned charcoal layer, it was time to call it a day. 

• Like 1

I had the old Garrett Depth Multiplayer (Treasure Hound)  used on the lunch box ADS detector.  Got more then tired of the beast in short order.  LOL   DOWN the road it went.  If I knew about PI detectors at the time I never would have gone there. 

I hear you on the PI detectors Homefire.  I used to find a target with the 2 Box, then check it with the SD2200 that had the old "trash can lid" on it. If the big minelab coil couldn't hear it, then I knew the target was probably deeper than I wanted to dig,