Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kjosefy

Building a Sluice box?

I have a few question on building a Sluice Box

1.  How wide should i build it if i am planing on using a recirculating water system? i have the miners moss at 12" x 36" and the expanded metal at 12" x 36" and 36" x 18 " flashing for a 12" x 3" x 36" box and also black deep grove rubber matting.
  2. How many GPM or LPM pump should i buy?
  3. What you you guys suggest to make the riffles  out of or the best way that worked for you.

Thanks

Kyle

Hey I have ran a homemade sluice for years and years I own a claim out west desert of utah and I recalculate my water I use a 2 inch pump and my sluice is 12 inch wide 30 ft. Long I use deep matting run 200 gallons of dirt before I clean it out. I set my angle at 11 degrees or about 1 inch drop per foot. And I only have fine gold very few nuggets here in utah some pickers. (Split pea size)and I do very very will .

Isn't 11 degrees a little over 2" per foot? I would like to see a picture of your setup. Never saw a 30 foot long operation before. For a "first timer" building a sluice box, I would suggest buying one already made for simplicity. Not going to break the bank. If you want to make your own, go ahead. Check some of the recirculating setups that are sold. They will tell you what pump they come with.

The 1 inch per foot is a good rule of thumb here. (Here meaning utah) our gold here is mostly fine sugar or pepper so I set it to that angle and use the 2 inch pump that gives me the ability to turn up the flow without blowing the gold out. My cost is 100.00 for a 8x10 sheet I have them cut it down the center and fold the sides and weld them end to end then the  deep v mat is 14.00  for 12 x 36 so after it is said and done my sluice costs about 220.00 but what ever you like buy or make. I enjoy the make cause it's more of my choice and I like to load bullets for my gun, again you could just buy a box of shells but.... but there is something to making your own and having it work out......

I build all my own too, grim1 But, it took me a few years of mining and a few "improved" boxes before I got one that worked good for my material. Probably ran a bit of gold out the box before I learned. 60+ years of experience does help when I build something now....

If I'm reading this correct, a 12X 3 X 36 sluice is bigger than I tried. and I was not able to get enough flow and depth using 12 VDC battery operated electric pumps.  I suspect you're at the point where you need a small 110 VAC waterfall pump (3600 GPH), but really suspect you'll need a gas trash pump that goes in GPM.  To me, your setup looks about the same size as a Gold Monster Sluice, and they used the gas water pumps.  With the difference between the gas pumps and the 12 VDC pumps, it's a huge step, and had I gone there I would have needed to slow down the flow from the gas pump by quite a bit.

Not an expert but my smaller sluice used 3/8 expanded metal with a combination of miners moss, carpeting, and rubber matting underneath.  Maybe even some angle iron or something to catch nuggets first.  For my failed experiment, I used expanded metal and no riffles because I was after sub gram gold, mostly minus 20 mesh.

Again, I had smaller, but I ended up taking 60 gallons to recirculate, and I was at either a 2000 GPH or 5000 GPH pump which was not that much.  I only got about a half inch, barely enough to cover the expanded metal on my sluice.  I suspect you'll need a 500 gallon tank with some sort of larger holding pond or tub.  With me wanting to move from electric to gas recirculating, I could have gotten the 500 gallon tank for my truck and added a stop at the local non-potable water fill station for a reasonable, much less than the water company charges fill up place, but then that was too much work for the $ / yard my claim was producing.

My recirculating system moved an honest 5 to 10 buckets per hour, and I think you are trying to move buckets per minute and that's why my numbers are so large.  I've seen small operations show up with things like that, but they never stayed long.

For where I'm at in central AZ, a Keene 151 dry washer, at 80% recovery, will move more material than a recirculating system that gets 95% recovery and that more than makes up the difference.