Nugget Shooter Forums

WHERE YOU FIND COPPER - YOU CAN FIND GOLD! (and vis-versa)

BMc

WHERE YOU FIND COPPER - YOU CAN FIND GOLD!  I was hanging' around J.W's. Prospecting Supplies in Prescott Valley trying to pick up on a gold lead, when a new Class D Motor Home pulled up out front,  and a retired gentleman came in to buy a detector. He said he was looking for a good used coin machine since he was just passing through and had some time to kill. J.W fixed him up with a decent trade in, and in less than 30 minutes, the man was on his way to a place J.W told him about which was in the Lynx Creek area.  About 2 hrs later the man pulled up outside again and rushed into the store almost out of breath. "Look, Look, he said", holding his hand out toward J.W. The man's hands were dirty, he had dirt on his tan shorts, and the Gold coin he had in his hand had dirt stuck to it like it had just been dug up. It was an 1885 $5.00 gold piece.

J.W asked the man where he had found it and he said, "Right where you told me to look!" The man further explained that he had stopped alongside a new stretch of road that was being built, and up on the bank he had seen a pile of tin that appeared to have once been a cabin or maybe a shed. He said he put fresh batteries in and started detecting and that's what he found. He was still so excited he could hardly talk, but he thanked J.W, shook his hand and took off in a hurry. J.W. and I looked at each other, then he shrugged his shoulders, and went back to work. A few days later I passed through the area again and decided to try and find the spot where the gold coin came from. I located the new gravel road, which was still being worked on, and saw what appeared to be a pile of rusty tin, which had a lot of overgrowth around it, and started detecting. Lots of trash, a few old dig holes, but it had rained  a couple of days before I got there and I didn't see any signs of recent digging. I worked my way down to the edge of the roadway and got a hit on the first coin, a 1844 Large Cent. It was pretty corroded at the time but I could read the date OK. Pretty cool, I thought but I was seeing gold coins dancing in my imagination at that point and since the find was close to the side of the road, I decided to search the rocks and graveled area in the roadway near by. The second Large cent piece soon turned up. It was mangled, flattened out a bit, and had obviously been pounded by the Road Roller. The date was not legible until it had been cleaned and rubbed repeatedly.
 It's still hard make out but it's a 1865 Large Cent.

No Gold for me that time but it did reinforce the geologic principle of Gold's  association with Copper (and vis-vesa), that we've been discussing here on the forum:
In summary, when you find Copper, that means someone else has already been there and BEAT YOU TO THE GOLD!!!  Just  :m2c:   :4chsmu1:

LARGE CENTS-1865 AND 1844.JPG

LARGE CENTS 1865-1844.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 7:56 PM, BMc said:

WHERE YOU FIND COPPER - YOU CAN FIND GOLD!  I was hanging' around J.W's. Prospecting Supplies in Prescott Valley trying to pick up on a gold lead, when a new Class D Motor Home pulled up out front,  and a retired gentleman came in to buy a detector. He said he was looking for a good used coin machine since he was just passing through and had some time to kill. J.W fixed him up with a decent trade in, and in less than 30 minutes, the man was on his way to a place J.W told him about which was in the Lynx Creek area.  About 2 hrs later the man pulled up outside again and rushed into the store almost out of breath. "Look, Look, he said", holding his hand out toward J.W. The man's hands were dirty, he had dirt on his tan shorts, and the Gold coin he had in his hand had dirt stuck to it like it had just been dug up. It was an 1885 $5.00 gold piece.

J.W asked the man where he had found it and he said, "Right where you told me to look!" The man further explained that he had stopped alongside a new stretch of road that was being built, and up on the bank he had seen a pile of tin that appeared to have once been a cabin or maybe a shed. He said he put fresh batteries in and started detecting and that's what he found. He was still so excited he could hardly talk, but he thanked J.W, shook his hand and took off in a hurry. J.W. and I looked at each other, then he shrugged his shoulders, and went back to work. A few days later I passed through the area again and decided to try and find the spot where the gold coin came from. I located the new gravel road, which was still being worked on, and saw what appeared to be a pile of rusty tin, which had a lot of overgrowth around it, and started detecting. Lots of trash, a few old dig holes, but it had rained  a couple of days before I got there and I didn't see any signs of recent digging. I worked my way down to the edge of the roadway and got a hit on the first coin, a 1844 Large Cent. It was pretty corroded at the time but I could read the date OK. Pretty cool, I thought but I was seeing gold coins dancing in my imagination at that point and since the find was close to the side of the road, I decided to search the rocks and graveled area in the roadway near by. The second Large cent piece soon turned up. It was mangled, flattened out a bit, and had obviously been pounded by the Road Roller. The date was not legible until it had been cleaned and rubbed repeatedly.
 It's still hard make out but it's a 1865 Large Cent.

No Gold for me that time but it did reinforce the geologic principle of Gold's  association with Copper (and vis-vesa), that we've been discussing here on the forum:
In summary, when you find Copper, that means someone else has already been there and BEAT YOU TO THE GOLD!!!  Just  :m2c:   :4chsmu1:

LARGE CENTS-1865 AND 1844.JPG

LARGE CENTS 1865-1844.JPG

Old Coins:  Large Cents: Are they worth keeping? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BMc said:

Old Coins:  Large Cents: Are they worth keeping? 

The 1844 is definitely worth keeping, it's worth around $15 to $20 in the condition it's in, the 1865, which by the way isn't a 1865 because the last year these coins were minted was 1857 and they started being minted 1839, so it has to be a1845 or a 1855, but appears to be a 1855 which would be worth about the same or maybe a bit more because it "was" in better condition before the damage happened but because of the damage not worth much at all. 

• Thanks 1