Nugget Shooter Forums

Pocket Mining

Micro Nugget

The purpose of this post is to share a summary of an oldtimer's concept of pocket mining first published in 1893 in the Mining And Scientific Press and then revisited in 2013 on a Canadian Gold Forum.  As editor of the Treasure News, a monthly magazine-style newsletter of the Prospectors Club of Southern California, I included a cover article in the February 2018 issue of the T News that focussed on pocket mining as it was understood by the old-timers of the 19th century intertwined with references to my own discovery of such a pocket with a metal detector.  Bill Southern invited me to include the pertinent portions (see post entitled Newcomers Beware elsewhere in this sub-forum).  Technical digital difficulties were encountered attempting to reproduce the following attached pages due probably to my lack of IT skills, but it should be readable nonetheless despite the page numbers and photos not flowing exactly as in the original published version.  

Pocket Mining Segment PDF.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • wow 1

Thank you so much Martin for finally opening up here for us with an amazing educational post and I love your story each time I hear it. We also see pockets here in AZ in the epithermal zones and some have produced amazing amounts of gold to the lucky finders. Was your pocket Epithermal or Mesothermal in origin? Or.......

• Like 2