Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

How's the weather Skip?

Skip works at a job everyday, puts up with our crap, babysits our spats, and does a great job handling the forum.

We are out here finding big chunks of gold in country where the weather is beautiful even when it is bad. The most we have to put up with is sunburn. We like to talk about gold and strut around like a bunch roosters and peck at each other. Skip quietly cleans up our crap.

The weather over there in the Carolinas is deadly these days. I know nothing about that country or exactly where East Carolina is but I bet it is flooding. They have a big lake there called the Sea of New York that has some huge waves on it right now. They are having a hurricano eruption and the lava is over their heads. The rivers are all backing up and the rain is coming down hard. Some things are floating and others are sinking.

We are thinking about you Skip! Is everything O.K. in your neck of the woods? How's the weather there?

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 6

Bob, 

Thanks for your concern, the weather here is just beautiful, the hurricane came ashore about 250 miles north of where I live, so we didn't even get any rain or winds at all, because the worst part of any hurricane here on the east coast is the northern portion.

That being said the northern part of the state got hammered, but southern N.C. got hammered even worse, both northern S.C. and southern N.C, are still in a world of hurt, most of the problems are from major flooding, they got 10'+ storm surge in the coastal areas and the surge went inland in some areas as much as 10 to 20+ miles via rivers, and low laying areas, many who didn't evacuate were trapped in their homes with several feet of water inside with them, if they didn't have a second floor they were in the water until they could be rescued.

That was also accompanied by vast amounts of rain, the storm also slowed to a crawl around 2 to 3 MPH shortly after landfall for over 2 days, so the rain was continous for 3 to 4 days in the first 100 miles or so, many areas near the eye got around 40" of rain and it tapered off to 30" and down to around 10"+ the further away from the eye in the outher rain bands.

Now that the storm has moved out of the landfall and westward inland areas which goes all the way across the states, the heavy rains continued as the storm moved across inland areas, but the storm picked up it's forward movement to around 14 MPH, so the inland areas didn't get huge amounts of rain like the coast did but still got around 6" to 15", now this is where the double whammy comes in, all of the rain in the inland areas drains into the many rivers and streams all of which eventually ends up back at the coastal areas, so now there's major flooding on all of these rivers and streams, for the next week or two affecting 100s of thousands of people, many of those who live in the low laying areas will either lose everything to the flooding or will have major rebuilding and or drying out to do once they can get back to their homes, some of the rivers will flood several miles outside of their banks, blocking many local and major roads and even interstate highways. 

It's going to be a living hell for many, and unfortunately more lives will be lost in flood waters, there's already 24 deaths from this storm just in the Carolinas, most from flood waters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Glad all is well my friend and heard there were allot of tornadoes out East today too?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Glad all is well my friend and heard there were allot of tornadoes out East today too?

I haven't heard of any tornadoes locally, but most bad wind damage in a hurricane, tropical strom, or topical depression are from spawned tornadoes within the storm, so I know there have been numerous tornadoes produced by this storm but most would be short lived tornadoes.

It is good to hear you are high and dry... well at least dry. I was seeing all the insanity on the news and hoped you weren't in the thick of it. 

I was out in the desert last night talking with a buddy about how we don't have to worry much about disaster living where we do. Forest fires and a little hanta virus is as bad as it gets. Then it dawned on me that "a guy I know on the internet" lived over there somewhere in the Carolinas and might be flooded.

In Las Cruces we love hurricane season. The sun turns the mountains brilliant orange as it is setting. The sunsets are reflected off the sheer mountains so intensely it makes everything in the valley glow with an orange light. 

We go out in the evening at the edge of town and shoot dove and watch the most beautiful skies on the planet. If it rains we stand there in it and try to remember the last time a drop fell on us. And then suddenly we realize there is catsasstrophe all around us. I was enjoying myself so much it made me feel a bit guilty about it when I remembered the hurricane.

Bob

• Like 1

Skip.

Holy Batman!!! The east coast is going to get walloped again. Looks like you might be in the crosshairs this time. Take care my friend. You and your family stay safe.

Yeah this one is not in the Sea of New York. It is curled up behind Florida's knees. And that is a pantload closer to West Carolina than the other one was. I bet it is raining frogs over there. I hope everything is groovy.

Let me know if you need to borrow my boat.

I always  wonder why people who live in areas with frequent flooding don't erect fences on their roofs to keep the cows off.  And I, too, hope that our friends  on the East Coast remain safe during the current storm.

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Skip.

Holy Batman!!! The east coast is going to get walloped again. Looks like you might be in the crosshairs this time. Take care my friend. You and your family stay safe.

I should be well east of the crosshairs, but we will still get some decents gusts and rain from this one, we've already gotten a couple of inches from feeder bands being pulled in from the Atlantic in the last day or so, but I will find out how I did when I wake up in the morning or get awakened during the night if a tree falls on my home from one of the gusts or possible tornadoes which would be the biggest threat for my area, but one can't prepare for tornadoes, you either get hit by one or you don't.

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yeah this one is not in the Sea of New York. It is curled up behind Florida's knees. And that is a pantload closer to West Carolina than the other one was. I bet it is raining frogs over there. I hope everything is groovy.

Let me know if you need to borrow my boat.

Bob, thanks for the offer of your boat but I have a canoe and a few air mattreses if it gets to wild and I need to float out to dry ground, but I live a relatively high ground for this area and I have never had any issues with flooding and have been through numerous hurricanes and tropical storms.

46 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I should be well east of the crosshairs, but we will still get some decents gusts and rain from this one, we've already gotten a couple of inches from feeder bands being pulled in from the Atlantic in the last day or so, but I will find out how I did when I wake up in the morning or get awakened during the night if a tree falls on my home from one of the gusts or possible tornadoes which would be the biggest threat for my area, but one can't prepare for tornadoes, you either get hit by one or you don't.

Bob, thanks for the offer of your boat but I have a canoe and a few air mattreses if it gets to wild and I need to float out to dry ground, but I live a relatively high ground for this area and I have never had any issues with flooding and have been through numerous hurricanes and tropical storms.

Well if you need help just say so. I have a fresh can of gas for the skiff and I just cleaned off the spark plugs yesterday. I can go down the Rio Grande make a left at the Gulf of Mexico and be there in a couple hours if you need me. 

Keep us posted man. It looks even worse than the last one. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, Au Seeker said:

Drove past your place @ the I-95 split shortly before midnight Wed 10/10/18 heading for a 'do in Baltimore -- while not intentionally wanting but ultimately needing to race the 'cane up the coast.. Although buffeted by the wind field until nearly into VA the only place we caught serious storm conditions was a bit north of the US 278 exit.. Drove into a feeder band that had everything except hail.. Forty miles of lightning, window-rattling thunder, approx. 50 mph or higher van-rocking gusts and rain so heavy you really couldn't see at times.. If we hadn't lucked out by falling in behind a trucker who obviously knew that stretch of pavement...

Nice ride back though, once we got out of VA.. They spend entirely too much on cops per sq. mi. and not nearly enough on highway maintenance.. Shot past your place on the return again just before midnight Mon, Skip.. Really wanted to dip a pan or two over somewhere near Loud Mine, but the timing was all wrong.. Between the day/night flip-flop and add'l mileage, a few hours of panning / sluicing / detecting = we probably still wouldn't be home yet, lol (and yes, we did have all the tools with us -- everything except time..)

Swamp

• Like 1