Nugget Shooter Forums

Newcomers beware

Wyoprospector

In the past, when I had good places to detect, I've taken many people, I took Shep, flak, Rob, and denny, and Doc. i think the only one that did not find gold at my spots, was doc, and he got lost, even with two GPS units, but he lost one of them too.! You can't take people to a spot and promise they will find gold!. even hough its all over the place, But a good detectorist can sure find it. ! Grubstake

Edited by grubstake
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Wyoprospector said:

That's nice that you can afford to spend that much on a detector, I can not. 

Seems those that get most angry by accusations are the ones that are guilty of it. Typical libtard reaction.  

Glad I was able to unite all you good ole boys, I'll forever cherish the volumes of info bestowed upon ignorant me. 

The above statement is not directed at all those who responded with sincerely helpful information. Thank you

The BIG QUESTION is:  Just "How Much" (Total) have you spent on all those Other Detector's ( that you have found NO GOLD WITH) thus far??????????????????  In choosing Gold Detectors "two wrongs don't make a RIGHT",,....What-the-Haaaaayyyy".....three wrongs, four wrongs, five wrongs, etc., etc.,etc. DON'T MAKE FOR-A -"RIGHT DECISION!!!!!""""""

Also, Just how much is "Too-Much" for you to spend on a Good-Gold -Detector?????????????    I'll bet that if you tally-up that Total cost that you have already spent on sub-grade, worthless (for Gold Detecting) detectors you will find that you could have gotten a good Gold Detector with that money and most likely had money left over.............

I know of an exceptional (older model) Minelab for sale on this forum right now that would find you as much gold as "you" can run your coil over (Oh Yea, that is Very Important!!!).  And the owner is asking less than $1500 for it.  How do I know that it will find gold?????? Because I own that exact-older-model,; I still find gold with it, I continue finding gold with it,....I found gold with it yesterday, and the day before!!!!!!   

But that's alright, you can continue being Stubborn and Defiant,...........you know it all,........................But that's good for the rest of us, because that's more gold for us to find,..all at the expense of "your" StubbDefiStuppidity,..............................Well now there's a new forum name for ya that fits quite well.  Happy hunting.

Well said everyone. Just cant help some folks. But oh well. I guess its time we all go back to our boring lives of salting gold to make ourselves look good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I salted gold once. Yeah, me. Well, sort of. Maybe. But it was by accident. Early one freezing dawn I was on a very steep hillside, having just recovered a frosty "Mojave Midget." As I fumbled with my aluminum nugget vial with frozen fingers I forgot that the vial contained a few bits of yella' from a previous outing in another area. One of them fell out, struck the tip of my boot, and then launched itself downhill into the sun like a gleaming yellow meteorite. It probably fell at least thirty feet into a stand of cactus. I wimped out and didn't attempt to recover it. Does this count as "salting?"

• Haha 4
  • Hmmmmmm 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy M said:

I salted gold once. Yeah, me. Well, sort of. Maybe. But it was by accident. Early one freezing dawn I was on a very steep hillside, having just recovered a frosty "Mojave Midget." As I fumbled with my aluminum nugget vial with frozen fingers I forgot that the vial contained a few bits of yella' from a previous outing in another area. One of them fell out, struck the tip of my boot, and then launched itself downhill into the sun like a gleaming yellow meteorite. It probably fell at least thirty feet into a stand of cactus. I wimped out and didn't attempt to recover it. Does this count as "salting?"

Jim my friend no :worship: I have lost them too and walked away in vials and not. You are actually one of my nugget shooting heros from long ago because you stood up to teach others. To those that do not know Jimmy M is Jim Mccullough from White's detectors and a dear friend. He has found him a share of nuggets and taught others as well as supplying some of the best equipment out there to them. Jim I guess you are "salty" but not "salting" :cowboypistol:

• Like 9

Whew, I feel better now, thanks Bill. Also, thanks for the kind words. But I guess my cover has been blown. One of my favorite connections with the word "salt" has to do with the first nugget we found at "Half Pound Ravine." Hawkeye was detecting the bottom of the ravine (her back was hurting her) standing in heavy brush, and I was on the hillside detecting the bench placer. I was trying to isolate a target, when she called me over. She was getting a signal from the hole someone had already dug. "Would you dig this?" she asked. A signal from a potentially good site; I told her "Sure, dig it," said, and returned to dig my target. Ignorant husband that I am, actually what she was saying was "My back hurts. Would you please dig this for me?" My target was lead, and then glancing in her direction, all of a sudden she stands bolt upright, she had dropped her machine, one hand was clutching the other. My natural thought was that she had encountered a rattler, and had been bitten on the hand. I ran down to her, her golden-brown eyes flashing, she thrust out her hand, and excitedly said "Lick off the salt!" What she meant was, "Clean off the dirt." She was holding a double sugar cube sized specie with about a half ounce gold content. Ten pounds of yella' later that ravine is still producing... gotta do more digging, though. HH Jim 

• Like 9

Wyoprospector, 

I had to laugh when I saw you say "typical libtard reaction."

Dude do you know where you are posting? This is not exactly the Huffpost of prospecting in here.

This is what I hope for you:

buy a great gold detector, you can get plenty of suggestions if you ask. Then get someone (obviously a fairly conservative type), to take you out to a known gold area. Then have them go around until they find a target - ask them not mark it - then ask them have you come over and go over the area with your detector and find where the signal is so you will know what the sound is like. Many people are shocked when they hear their first gold signal, it is not at all like what most think it will be, it has a unique sound that is hard to describe until you hear it.

Hope you know I am not talking down to you, but this is a proven way to get started. I know from first-hand experience as do many other successful gold hunters.

Good luck.

• Like 8

Wait, Jimmy M is Jim  Mccullough? THE Jim McCullough? How have you been Jim? Are you still roaming around out in that fabulous Pinto mountain/Twenty-nine Palms area? I will always remember that it was you who basically introduced me to one of the most haunting and evocative areas in the southern desert a whole bunch of years ago.

I have a funny memory of how that first meeting with you went, and since we're among friends (mostly), I'm gonna remind you of it. I had, I think emailed you and asked for a phone number saying I was a new detector prospector - I had dredged for 6 years of summers in the Sierras but in the desert that didn't count - and would you consider meeting up with me and showing me around the Pinto Mountains? Do you remember? You kindly said yes and we make a plan to meet somewhere in Twenty-Nine Palms or thereabouts. Now I'd been out into the Pinto's a few times and I know it's got lots of places to make mistakes if you don't have the right vehicle or the right driving style, so I am slightly nonplused when I see you pull up in an older sedan of some type, obviously two-wheel drive and fairly low slung - but I figure well that means we will probably stay on the Gold Crown Rd., the main road out there and so I park my 4x4 SUV and climb in. I cannot adequately describe the tour you took me on, or the roads (well some would call them roads, they were barely tracks), hauling ass though this wild place commenting at almost every hillock and gully pointing out where you had previously found gold and when - in this low-slung two-wheel drive sedan trailing a huge plume of dust. I was enthralled and amazed and to this day I still remember your afternoon ride full of good humor and experience and knowledge. I thought you should know. Thanks again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

Maybe Wyo is just color blind and all along he been pulling gold out the ground and tossing it. Just a thought.

When I first got into chasing gold I was maybe 19. No one on one instruction from anybody just some books. When drywasher again and again in gold producing areas, came up empty...I thought.

Complained to a supervisor I knew once while picking up my wife at SW Salt CO near Luke AFB. Told him I didn't know what I was doing wrong couldn't find color. He asked to see some concentrates as he got the gold pan  out of his jeep. That was the first panning lesson I received, there was lots of color in my concentrates I was just blind to it.

• Like 6

This thread is getting wild and fun, I love it. A lot of good info shared here too. AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

Bill asked the $1M question.

Why would a greenhorn with his poke flapping in the breeze come on here to butt heads with a bunch of guys who have been finding nuggets for decades? And then, in his nuggetless condition, go on to act like he knows something about prospecting? To snipe and argue about gold with guys that have found pounds of it?

This guy is a ringer boys. I bet he has been here before. He is a return customer. And I also would bet he has at least one other profile on the forum.  Probably one that did not get along with all of these cabezons swinging the kielbasa around all the time. 

He provided a target to shoot at instead of each other. He even alluded to that in his posts. He has sought info from Bill in the past.

This guy is jerkin our chain. About the gold, about the detectors, about the political comments...

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Speak his name three times and he will appear in a cloud of brimstone.
  • Like 2

BB I already forgot about him. this thread took on a life of its own. on some posts its a bit of a psychological cesspool but on others there is a lot to be learned. AzNuggetBob

• Like 3
  • well done 1

18 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

BB I already forgot about him. this thread took on a life of its own. on some posts its a bit of a psychological cesspool but on others there is a lot to be learned. AzNuggetBob

I hunt for what is hidden in the bushes. I see a familiar face.

Everyone gets something out of a thread like this. Everyone finds something to be disgusted about too. It's like a buffet where you can pick and choose what appeals to you.

No one is forcing us to eat the broccoli. Yet we still feel obligated to wrinkle up our nose when we pass it.

Funny how we do that isn't it?

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yes it is likely as Bob said, remember the comment "Bill will likely remove me now so I will leave on my own"?  Not the first go around me thinks, Just saying...... But yes this has become a thread that has taken on it's own life despite the efforts of the OP to be somewhat the Troll :pop:

• Like 2

Some notable quotes from this thread:   

After detecting for 5 years with more detectors than I can remember
I don't need anyone telling me I don't know what I am doing or I need a better detector
I would challenge this guy
Well, all I can say is have patience.
Hope your luck changes.
I have not yet found a nugget, but haven not given up.
No more easy to find gold left on those claims
You have to learn your detector.
focus on finding the small stuff
Nugget hunting with a detector is certainly not for everyone

This is not a get rich quick hobby
that's a bonus on top of the family and friends time together
Not only is a research guru but he looks smashing in a pair of Wranglers.
if it were easy, everyone would be doing it
 it is NOT the detector that finds the gold, YOU DO
his response was "you are not doing it right" So I learned how to do it right
mindset is also key...  if you think, you will
there is gold in them hills and I intend to find more
Try swinging with the other hand
you are working hard but you are not working smart
Change your attitude and change your latitude
I figured out a long time ago that finding gold isn't really why I'm out there
training will reveal that your techniques need improving
Detecting Gold nuggets is "the" hardest form of prospecting
You either love it, or you don't
the self-proclaimed metal detecting gloom and doom-dude

I look for meteorites now
Stay positive, its all a mind game
I still have my first nugget, found in 1983, while being mentored
I was swinging my detector like a beach detector.  Pretty darn fast!
So far no one interested in taking up the challenge
fortunate to find the smallest Silver Spanish Cob
Why would I feel the need to prove?
I'm going to take up basket weaving or knot tying.
Of course it sounds off well on my .35gr nugget.
Prove to yourself you can do it.
I would gladly at least give up the location.
For those who work hard enough to find it
We may have a Troll my friends
Leave if you want or open up and learn
THE TRUTH ABOUT YOURSELF IS HARD TO STOMACH
swinging that detector as if they're in a trance
you have had no success...so you have no confidence
some free advice... sell all your vlf's and buy a Minelab SDC
temper your expectations like that, then you will have a great time
we should all join Tom and start a knitting club
it is within all of us to do it if we REALLY WANT it bad enough
forget you ever went there. I’ll just go out there to camp
I’d believe maybe 396, but certainly not 397
They have to be divined
It is indeed the search. The gold is just an excuse to indulge in the addiction
 he's known only as, The Stranger.... 
you are like a big hairy insect
something other than just a sack of slowly decaying flesh with boots
the gold is really not the objective any more
when we feel the "thud" of the nugget
Little Jimmy is back in the game...
Tommy J. and his fellow revolutionaries
the decent guys greatly outnumber the nasty
He is feeling the thud of our nuggets
The volumes of info bestowed upon ignorant me
remain the nugget-less expert who needs no advice or help
when I had good places to detect, I've taken many people
a good detectorist can sure find it
Just cant help some folks
having just recovered a frosty "Mojave Midget"
that ravine is still producing... gotta do more digging
not exactly the Huffpost of prospecting
Lick off the salt.

:goodpost:

• Like 5

I can say, yes after 6 years of nugget hunting I have not fount any gold with my detectors I have had, but I know YES I NEED HELP , and am willing to listen when advice is offered.

I do not go out to get rich, I got out to enjoy the open air and country be it desert or hills....

I will keep plugging away, one day.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

Wait, Jimmy M is Jim  Mccullough? THE Jim McCullough? How have you been Jim? Are you still roaming around out in that fabulous Pinto mountain/Twenty-nine Palms area? I will always remember that it was you who basically introduced me to one of the most haunting and evocative areas in the southern desert a whole bunch of years ago.

I have a funny memory of how that first meeting with you went, and since we're among friends (mostly), I'm gonna remind you of it. I had, I think emailed you and asked for a phone number saying I was a new detector prospector - I had dredged for 6 years of summers in the Sierras but in the desert that didn't count - and would you consider meeting up with me and showing me around the Pinto Mountains? Do you remember? You kindly said yes and we make a plan to meet somewhere in Twenty-Nine Palms or thereabouts. Now I'd been out into the Pinto's a few times and I know it's got lots of places to make mistakes if you don't have the right vehicle or the right driving style, so I am slightly nonplused when I see you pull up in an older sedan of some type, obviously two-wheel drive and fairly low slung - but I figure well that means we will probably stay on the Gold Crown Rd., the main road out there and so I park my 4x4 SUV and climb in. I cannot adequately describe the tour you took me on, or the roads (well some would call them roads, they were barely tracks), hauling ass though this wild place commenting at almost every hillock and gully pointing out where you had previously found gold and when - in this low-slung two-wheel drive sedan trailing a huge plume of dust. I was enthralled and amazed and to this day I still remember your afternoon ride full of good humor and experience and knowledge. I thought you should know. Thanks again.

10 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

Wyoprospector, 

I had to laugh when I saw you say "typical libtard reaction."

Dude do you know where you are posting? This is not exactly the Huffpost of prospecting in here.

This is what I hope for you:

buy a great gold detector, you can get plenty of suggestions if you ask. Then get someone (obviously a fairly conservative type), to take you out to a known gold area. Then have them go around until they find a target - ask them not mark it - then ask them have you come over and go over the area with your detector and find where the signal is so you will know what the sound is like. Many people are shocked when they hear their first gold signal, it is not at all like what most think it will be, it has a unique sound that is hard to describe until you hear it.

Hope you know I am not talking down to you, but this is a proven way to get started. I know from first-hand experience as do many other successful gold hunters.

Good luck.

Thank you Flak, in fact another guy that did not gang up on me offered to hook up and do the exact same thing, I think he has an SDC and although many on here called my detectors garbage, I'll still be swinging my TDI SPP. 

2 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Bill asked the $1M question.

Why would a greenhorn with his poke flapping in the breeze come on here to butt heads with a bunch of guys who have been finding nuggets for decades? And then, in his nuggetless condition, go on to act like he knows something about prospecting? To snipe and argue about gold with guys that have found pounds of it?

This guy is a ringer boys. I bet he has been here before. He is a return customer. And I also would bet he has at least one other profile on the forum.  Probably one that did not get along with all of these cabezons swinging the kielbasa around all the time. 

He provided a target to shoot at instead of each other. He even alluded to that in his posts. He has sought info from Bill in the past.

This guy is jerkin our chain. About the gold, about the detectors, about the political comments...

I'm not a ringer, however that pertains to this forum. I am not a green horn if you read my initial post. I am a Doubting Thomas, the term is derived from the Apostle Thomas that was not to quick to believe everything Jesus told him. I simply questioned the validity of some of the claims on here, other forums and dozens of YouTube videos. A few guys got real nasty and I just tried to defend myself. 

Anyway before prospecting for gold, I combed the Treasure Coast in Florida.  I also went through a few machines in my quest. The best being White's Dual Field PI. Found plenty of lost jewelry,  some silver coins, 1 Spanish Cob and tons of clad coins. 

After watching several videos of nugget hunters out here and researching detectors, I purchased the best I could afford. So many guys on here called my choices garbage. Two of them I am sure Jimmy M would take exception with. Gold Master and TDI. Yeah I know Minelab machines are great, but I went through 3 705's in 4 months, didn't think it was that great. One guy told me to sell all my equipment, then I could get an SDC, that's funny to me I was only able to get one at a time, so I no longer have them. I would love to try a new Minelab but I'll just have to settle for my TDI. Maybe if I find a decent nugget I'll buy one.

17 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

You are not cherrishing anything, just giving more reasons and excuses why you can not follow advice. You are a strange one coming here to insult and argue with folks that were in the start simply trying to be helpful. 

Then you have directly insulted some members, used racial slurs as in "wetback" and now tossing around the libtard thing like any of this is political. 

I agree with others that have said that perhaps you should just give it up as far as nugget hunting goes and remain the nuggetless expert who needs no advice or help. It is really insulting to see long time members here offer great advise just to have you poo poo it and repeat you know what you are doing and don't believe anyone can find gold if you can't. 

Even to go as far to say other folks salt the ground :ROFL:

Why did you even come here? 

Ok Bill, I read through all the posts and the only info offered I see is to have someone train me, well  I can't afford that at this point. You said you remembered me, we'll you were wrong. We met at LDS, we talked about the area etc.. and I complimented you on the videos I saw on line. I said to you, " I would love to go out and compare my new Nokta Fors Gold to your 7000. You did not respond, you did not offer to help in any way. Later on I found your website where you say your main purpose was to help people, so I thought the face to face meeting was odd. 

I once had a business where I trained guys to make certain auto repairs on dealers cars. I never called it helping guys start their own business because I did charge a fee. So to me your website was a bit misleading, I did not realize you charged for helping folks at that time which was Dec. 2015.

Then I tried contacting you 3 times to buy Jim Straights book, you responded on the 3rd attempt which was here and it was the original reason I joined the forum because you did not respond to my request for info on your website form, nor did you return my call. As you can see from the time I joined the forum I was quiet, just reading and trying to find out why I had no success.  I found some guys using the same techniques and finding gold, so I could not understand it. I am usually not one to ask for help at anything and have taught myself to do many things. And as I stated before, I always planted a nugget I bought (at the now closed Miners Shop in Wickenburgh) when I got to a new area and ran my Detector over it at several depths to get a feel for the response. You can't say that is not a good practice. 

I was planning on going to FL this winter where I know I can find some goodies on the beaches, but this thread has caused me to change my mind, I will return to LSD, Vulture Mine Area, Harquahala Mtns, Plamosa, Cleator, Bumble Bee,  Crown King and maybe some others and try again. 

Wyoprospector said, "... And as I stated before, I always planted a nugget I bought (at the now closed Miners Shop in Wickenburgh) when I got to a new area and ran my Detector over it at several depths to get a feel for the response. You can't say that is not a good practice...

That is only good practice to hear if your detector is actually running. To tune the detector for, and to hear gold that has not been dug up, is another matter entirely. That is why it is good to watch what someone else, who has found gold, is doing. You will see (and probably hear),  the difference right away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyoprospector said:

Ok Bill, I read through all the posts and the only info offered I see is to have someone train me, well  I can't afford that at this point. You said you remembered me, we'll you were wrong. We met at LDS, we talked about the area etc.. and I complimented you on the videos I saw on line. I said to you, " I would love to go out and compare my new Nokta Fors Gold to your 7000. You did not respond, you did not offer to help in any way. Later on I found your website where you say your main purpose was to help people, so I thought the face to face meeting was odd. 

I once had a business where I trained guys to make certain auto repairs on dealers cars. I never called it helping guys start their own business because I did charge a fee. So to me your website was a bit misleading, I did not realize you charged for helping folks at that time which was Dec. 2015.

Then I tried contacting you 3 times to buy Jim Straights book, you responded on the 3rd attempt which was here and it was the original reason I joined the forum because you did not respond to my request for info on your website form, nor did you return my call. As you can see from the time I joined the forum I was quiet, just reading and trying to find out why I had no success.  I found some guys using the same techniques and finding gold, so I could not understand it. I am usually not one to ask for help at anything and have taught myself to do many things. And as I stated before, I always planted a nugget I bought (at the now closed Miners Shop in Wickenburgh) when I got to a new area and ran my Detector over it at several depths to get a feel for the response. You can't say that is not a good practice. 

I was planning on going to FL this winter where I know I can find some goodies on the beaches, but this thread has caused me to change my mind, I will return to LSD, Vulture Mine Area, Harquahala Mtns, Plamosa, Cleator, Bumble Bee,  Crown King and maybe some others and try again. 

Sorry, but I do not keep a book inventory at my store and redirect folks wanting books to other dealers, I have always given free instruction with any detector I sell and yes we do charge to train folks on detectors purchased elsewhere. We also have a couple outings a year to give free help to folks that attend.

I had no videos on YouTube until 4 months ago when I uploaded my first one....

As far as taking detectors out to do comparisons it is not my cup of tea and when I do it is in private and this is due to the fact that I think ALL good gold nuggets detectors will do the job in the right hands and I do not like to force choices on anyone. I prefer Minelab for my style of hunting and often hunt with folks using other brands as well. I do not make any comparisons public, just my thoughts when asked.

I have helped more folks that even I will ever know learn to find gold by adjusting their methods, but that does not include taking them to a private productive spot to learn nor test equipment. It is up to YOU to find these type areas and much more rewarding to make your own discoveries. So to portray me as not interested in helping you is out of line as it was the way you made your request and attitude that was the issue. 

I still offer instruction and go as far as showing videos including requested videos for folks and help here at the forum as it is my passion to help those willing to open up and learn. You came in here like a wild boar insulting folks and insinuating members here are BSing about their finds and have even gone as far as to question my willingness to help others to learn to find gold or use their equipment and for that reason I am done with this thread now.

I wish you the best of luck out there and I still politely say you are doing it wrong despite your instance you know what you are doing, you simply need to change your methodology.

I've not felt the need to respond to a post or thread here for a long time, but this one got my ire up a little. While I believe Wyoprospector is beyond help, I'd say a conservative estimate of those who have been helped by Bill and the members on this forum is in the multiple thousands, myself included.

While Bill and I have not always seen eye to eye on everything over the years, he's always had my respect and appreciation for his wiliness to share both time and knowledge. In fact it's all Bill's fault; if he hadn't been so generous, I'd probably still be poking around with my Tesoro Diablo, finding a nugget one in a blue moon. Bill and I met up for a hunt many moons ago at the LSD. Right off the bat he offered good info on the area's geology and gold production. He then offered a practical stranger his Minelab 2100 to try out.(keep in mind this was 20 plus years ago and the minelab was an incredibly expensive machine, especially compared to my budget breaking Tesor that I bought for $100 at a pawn shop) He gave me a quick rundown of the detector and then made himself scarce. I was hooked from the first moment I held that machine and heard the tone. I could finally hunt like I always wanted to without all the squawking and popping of the VLF. I was forever ruined when it came to detectors and started saving immediately for a minelab of my own. I think the most important part of this story is the fact that Bill had nothing to gain from this other than satisfaction and friendship, this was many years before he became a dealer of any kind. I don't think much has changed since then, Bill is still out there giving people help, inspiration and hope, and yes, hopefully gaining a few $$ along the way.

So, for those newcomers reading this thread; beware. Beware naysayers who claim that there's no help, no hope and only profiteers looking to take your money. Later...Jim P. 

• Thanks 5