Nugget Shooter Forums

Newcomers beware

Wyoprospector

After detecting for 5 years with more detectors than I can remember,  after researching hundreds of hours, joining GPAA, visiting just about all their claims in AZ, WY and SD, I have come to the conclusion that just like in the gold rush days, if you want to get rich, sell equipment to those looking for gold!         I have searched old mining locations for days, I've searched the drainages at these locations, I have searched slopes, flat spots, benches, inside bends, under large rocks that I moved with a come along and or my vehicle etc. etc. and I have found NOTHING but trash.  I even went to a location highly recommended by Jeff Williams and found more trash than at any previously searched location.                                                    Now I don't need anyone telling me I don't know what I am doing or I need a better detector because I have found the tiniest pieces of lead, brass bullet jackets, wire, staples and aluminum, many times under several inches of soil, that I was really amazed at the performance of the detector I was using.

I sometimes really laugh when I read some stories on here and other forums.    I can't remember the guys name, but the story is on this site somewhere. It mentions this guy from AZ  who goes up to Encampment, WY and claims to have found 397 nuggets at the "Old Ghost Town Mining Camp called Encampment"  Now we all know the process of discovering a target and uncovering it. For any of you who have found a piece of gold, you know how much trash you dug before you found it. How many targets can you dig in a day? Finding 397 nuggets at one site is ridiculous. Secondly, Encampment is NOT a ghost town, there is no old mining camp there, there are NO mines in the area that were high gold producers. The area was predominately a copper producer, the largest mine was 16 miles from Encampment and the ore was transported those 16 miles by cable cars to Riverside, right next to Encampment.    The story posted here is BS,  if I could I would challenge this guy to meet me in Encampment and produce 1 nugget from this so called ghost town, surely there is 1 more lying around somewhere if he uncovered 397! In fact I would like to challenge any story teller out there to meet me at a GPAA  claim of my choosing  (to avoid salting) and locate 1 nugget, I'll even make a video and put it on youtube and provide a good meal!

• wow 1

Well, all i can say is have patience. I myself have witnessed people being on a virgin patch and pulling out 100+ nuggets in a day. Didnt happen to me, but i have definitely found my fair share. There are guys and gals on here that are still searching for that first nugget and there are guys and gals that absolutely kill it with a detector. Hope your luck changes.

• Like 6
  • well done 1

Oh yeah, and usually around a real big copper deposit, you WILL find a small gold placer. Northern Nevada is proof of that.

• Like 4

I have not yet found a nugget, but haven not given up.  I really hope someone takes you up on the offer, with conditions of course.  The GPAA in AZ has a claim located on top of what is probably hundreds to thousands of feet of gravel, so it's probably realistic for someone to turn a claim down based off research.  Also, most of the guys selling equipment are not getting rich, just simply supplementing income or slowly going broke supporting their gold habit.  Also agree a few finds are exaggerated, but not most.  Most of the finds posted on this page won't even  fill up my gas tank to get me to the gold fields.  Also, last I went to the Maricopa group, it attracts a lot of traffic and has been beat to death.  Someone has probably detected each wash on those claims at least once a week for the last decade.  No more easy to find gold left on those claims that has been collecting for eons.

• Like 4

Yeah, where do I start?  :arrowheadsmiley:

Maybe you should just give up?  :idunno:

Five years is a long time to not find any gold.  Ask my friend AzMark.  He is still searching though.  :)

Changing detectors so often that you can't remember them all is something.  You have to learn your detector.  If you're always changing then it's even more difficult to learn.  Plus, I venture to say that many of those detectors may have not been suited for the task.  Get a good quality gold only detector and learn to find small bits of oxidized lead.  If you can do that, then it's just a matter of getting the coil over the gold.  Which is still very difficult.  Not everyone has the capacity for it.  Sorry to say.

Not all GPAA claims have detectable gold.  Spending some time at one claim instead of a bunch of claims is probably a better way to go.  Of course there has to be detectable gold on that claim.  Making some friends at the local chapter could help to get you on the right kind of ground.  Hunt around the places where the other prospectors are digging and make sure you detect in the bottom of the holes they leave behind.  I've scored several nuggets this way and I always get excited when I walk up on a freshly dug hole.

The idea of 'getting rich' while hunting for gold with a metal detector is a joke.  When you let go of the idea of trying to make money and just do it for fun then the pressure to succeed is reduced and the other aspects of the activity become more apparent.  Some people have done well, but most just find enough to keep the interest going.  When I find a nugget or two, it rarely even covers the cost of the gas to get there, and that's if I even planned to sell the gold in the first place.

With regards to the finding of the trash.  Keep in mind that trash is usually the closest to the surface and the larger bits often sound the loudest.  Once you get past the trash, there might still be fainter target signals that are not recognized because you just had your ears blown off by that .22 caliber bullet.  Furthermore, on my very first post to this forum, Adam gave some good advice that I still think about today.  He said: "Gold is the element that is the most difficult for a detector to hear".  It's true.  When you're frustrated from digging up trash target after trash target then it becomes even more difficult to continue to focus and really listen for a brief, faint target signal.

Finding gold on a club claim is very difficult.  For the most part they are public places and who knows how many people were there before you.  It may sound unbelievable, but most of the gold I've found was on club claims.  Places, I was told, that had been hammered to death and I was wasting my time.  Well....  I've got that 397 number beat.  And no, it didn't happen all in one day.  There have been many 5-10 nugget days and there will be more if I persist.  Also keep in mind that most of those nuggets were .2g or less.  People of the past with older technology were finding the bigger, 'easier' nuggets.  ( No disrespect to the 'Founding Fathers' :4chsmu1:)  If you're hunting ground that's been hunted for years, you have to focus on finding the small stuff and there's some technique to it, as well as having the right detector.

There is so much more that can be said and I assume someone else will fill in what I may have left out.

Good luck.  :head:

Luke

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

Nugget hunting with a detector is certainly not for everyone. And it is not easy for anyone to learn.

Why don't you try a drywasher and learn where the good spots are. Then get in the middle of one of those good spots and go really slow. That is how I found my first nugget after months of frustration. I knew I had to be over gold because I was getting detectable gold out of every load of gravel. So I just slowed down and went really slow in one small area where I had been digging and by golly I heard a little squeal. 

Since then I have found a whole lot of nuggets. Your learning curve goes way up after that first one. In a nutshell you have to go really slow and listen really, REALLY close to what your detector is saying. Gold only whispers, it rarely speaks. If it ever yells at you, you have really found something.

We all have been a the point you are at brother. Believe me. Just keep the faith, slow WAY down and only detect places where you know there is detectable particles under your coil. As soon as you nail a few it will get a whole lot easier!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 5

Well said Luke. And so much more can be added. This is not a get rich quick hobby. Have people done it? Heck yes, but its very rare. Its the fun of it for me and my boys. If we find something, well thats a bonus on top of the family and friends time together. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you don't enjoy it then you should not be doing it! If you do enjoy it success does not really matter. And if you really enjoy it you will be successful.

If you think nugget hunting is difficult you should try meteorite hunting as a hobby for a few years and then get back to us! :)

Hang in there man!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 6

From what I can find, "Grand Encampment" Wyoming is the site of a big copper-gold polymetallic mine on the Wyoming /Colorado border. It does have a production record for placer gold in three separate districts in that area.

I hunt a very similar area. If you are on the wrong side of the hill or even the wrong side of a certain tree you are going to find nothing. My bet is that the specific placer areas around Grand Encampment are isolated gulch placers and could be very rich in certain areas. The key phrase here being "certain areas".

There is a guy on this forum named Clay. He is an incredible resource for gold info. Not only is a research guru but he looks smashing in a pair of Wranglers. Summon him and ask him about Grand Encampment. If he does not know about it he will go out and learn about it just to tell you about it. 

There is a whole lot of experience here Wyoprospector. If you take advantage of that it might help you outta this slump.

Bob

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wyoprospector said:

After detecting for 5 years with more detectors than I can remember,  after researching hundreds of hours, joining GPAA, visiting just about all their claims in AZ, WY and SD, I have come to the conclusion that just like in the gold rush days, if you want to get rich, sell equipment to those looking for gold!         I have searched old mining locations for days, I've searched the drainages at these locations, I have searched slopes, flat spots, benches, inside bends, under large rocks that I moved with a come along and or my vehicle etc. etc. and I have found NOTHING but trash.  I even went to a location highly recommended by Jeff Williams and found more trash than at any previously searched location.                                                    Now I don't need anyone telling me I don't know what I am doing or I need a better detector because I have found the tiniest pieces of lead, brass bullet jackets, wire, staples and aluminum, many times under several inches of soil, that I was really amazed at the performance of the detector I was using.

I sometimes really laugh when I read some stories on here and other forums.    I can't remember the guys name, but the story is on this site somewhere. It mentions this guy from AZ  who goes up to Encampment, WY and claims to have found 397 nuggets at the "Old Ghost Town Mining Camp called Encampment"  Now we all know the process of discovering a target and uncovering it. For any of you who have found a piece of gold, you know how much trash you dug before you found it. How many targets can you dig in a day? Finding 397 nuggets at one site is ridiculous. Secondly, Encampment is NOT a ghost town, there is no old mining camp there, there are NO mines in the area that were high gold producers. The area was predominately a copper producer, the largest mine was 16 miles from Encampment and the ore was transported those 16 miles by cable cars to Riverside, right next to Encampment.    The story posted here is BS,  if I could I would challenge this guy to meet me in Encampment and produce 1 nugget from this so called ghost town, surely there is 1 more lying around somewhere if he uncovered 397! In fact I would like to challenge any story teller out there to meet me at a GPAA  claim of my choosing  (to avoid salting) and locate 1 nugget, I'll even make a video and put it on youtube and provide a good meal!

Wow! Wyoprospector, You are a patient man indeed! And a skilled detectorist I can tell. I sympathize with your plight and can't imagine that you didn't hit at least one small nugget somewhere along the way. By the way, Chet Long, has long been considered a phenomenal nugget hunter right up there in reputation with "Rattlesnake" John, Pieter Heydelaar, Stan Grist and many other professionals including Terry Bone just to mention a few.

Most of these high producing guys don't belong to prospecting clubs and they don't nugget hunt on club claims, or even claims period. They just go out and find the gold! There are several high producing gold finders who are members and viewers of this forum as well. Chet spent several days at a site to accumulate a quantity of nuggets and as I recall the story,  the location of his finds were not exactly right in Encampment but as you probably know, it is a common practice to approximate the location of a site, for privacy and secrecy reasons. It is also fairly common knowledge that gold placer can be found in districts or around mines that produce copper, tungsten, silver, lead, tin and zinc, dare I say Iron?  Consistently successful nugget finders concentrate more on the geology of an area, and search for indicators of mineral presence in certain zones, such as contact zones, shear zones, fault lines, certain types of geologic intrusive's; rock formations that collided in the earth building processes and changes and modifications that occurred and affected the earths crust over millions of years. Those clues are out there and better yet, a lot of it has been studied and written down so we can review it and make use of it by recognizing the indicators when we see them OR JUST GO TO WHERE THEY ARE HIGHLIGHTED ON A GEOLOGIC MAP!  You may have studied all this stuff and if you have I will be even more incredulous about your lack of success. If you haven't got this stuff down yet and don't quite know what to look for, you might consider soaking up some of it. Lots of that type of "savvy" is available right here on the forum; Jeff Williams, Jim Straight, Bill Southern etc. . . .

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Oh yeah, and usually around a real big copper deposit, you WILL find a small gold placer. Northern Nevada is proof of that.

Absolutely!! And not to mention the pounds and pounds of gold that came from the Tungsten mining district in the Eugene's!  If you only hunt gold, where only gold was found, you may miss all the gold that awaits around mines that produced copper, tungsten, silver, lead, tin and zinc, and there's many, many examples of this in the literature (and through word of mouth, of course)

• Like 3

Wyoprospector - I have to hand it to you on your first post being a monster vent session.  LOL!!

Nugget hunting is not for everyone.  You go long periods where you may get 3-6-10 skunks in a row.  It happens.  But unless you are only getting out once month, it should not take you 5 years.  With all due respect, you are doing something wrong.  And it may not be your fault.  If you have not been able to team up with anybody there are so many areas that could keep you from finding gold.

1) type of detector

2) knowing how to use the detector

3) the actual area you are hunting

4) how you hunt/work that area 

... the list goes on and on.  If you are off in any of the above areas, your chances of finding gold greatly diminish.  It is a hard sport and one you keep learning with.  When you find that first piece,  you have your first clue to getting more gold.  I hope you stick with it.

Keep reviewing and asking questions on this forum.  There are many people here glad to lend advice.  You may not get a gps coordinate to a nugget with your name on it, but if you persist, you will get your gold.  Remember, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it :)

And I really want to hear your story when you get that first one!!

• Like 3

WOW Wyoprospector.... Number one it is NOT the detector that finds the gold, YOU DO! I find gold more often than not when I go out and it is due to researching for hours and then putting boots on the ground and I can do it with any good gold detector made though I do have certain models I prefer. Yes I can also find nuggets on club claims and all around them, copper producing areas are some of my favorites in AZ  for locating stringer vein deposits the Copper Mine owners could care less about as it was not profitable at the time, ie: Copper Basin and other places.The problem is indeed that you are not doing it right when it comes to researching and getting into producing areas, simple as that :reading: Sorry and not trying to be mean or anything and I was told the same thing many many years back by good friend Jim Straight. I was whining that the gold was gone and I was finding everything but gold including small lead etc. when I met him in NV in the early 1990's and his response was "you are not doing it right" So I learned how to do it right with his advice and books and the advice and wisdom of others in the nugget hunting game and learned to find gold myself. I have found THOUSANDS of gold nuggets since that day and still find them on a regular basis today.

You simply need to redirect your efforts and quit believing it is impossible to find 397 nuggets in one area, I have in some spots that have produced more than that over the years of returning to re-hunt them and know many others that will agree with me here as they have done the same. Calling it BS just because you have not done similar is just wrong and I learned that long ago, if not successful when hunting usually it is the hunter that needs to fine tune the search to gain an edge. 

We make an effort to teach and help others learn to do what it takes to find nuggets regularly and many I have seen come and go both successful and not. It is up to YOU to make it happen and get yourself over gold, then the detector is important, but not before.... Good Hunting

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have been detecting a year and have found 19 little nuggets..Im sorry to hear of your frustration as I have been there myself. I have learned mindset is also key..if you think you will never find gold well then that usually will be the outcome. Patience and listening is a must...and believe me I do not always listen myself. I say never give up because there is gold in them hills and I intend to find more. I hope things will change for you...Happy Hunting😊

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, boulder dash said:

Try swinging with the other hand. The one you're using isn't working. Good luck have a better attitude.

So that’s your secret! Man, I’m gunna try that. I found 8 little nuggets that last time I went out with the detector in my right hand. Maybe I’ll find 10 or more holding it in my left. Thanks BD, solid advice. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

38 minutes ago, Nugget Shooterette said:

I have been detecting a year and have found 19 little nuggets..Im sorry to hear of your frustration as I have been there myself. I have learned mindset is also key..if you think you will never find gold well then that usually will be the outcome. Patience and listening is a must...and believe me I do not always listen myself. I say never give up because there is gold in them hills and I intend to find more. I hope things will change for you...Happy Hunting😊

Like the man said, you are working hard but you are not working smart. And like the lady said mindset is key.  Introspection, self examination, being open minded, believing in yourself etc. It's not the external forces that defeat us in this game. If we fail, it's because we have defeated ourselves through self doubt, assisted by our defense mechanisms that seek to blame other external factors for our own failures.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, cjadair3 said:

So that’s your secret! Man, I’m gunna try that. I found 8 little nuggets that last time I went out with the detector in my right hand. Maybe I’ll find 10 or more holding it in my left. Thanks BD, solid advice. 😉

Thanks dude. Can't believe I gave my super secret up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

After years of regular placer mining, both dredging and hard core commercial mining, during which I found many pounds of gold, I bought a Gold Bug 2 in 1994 ... After that it was 6+ years of not finding gold with a detector...I could very successfully pan, crevice snipe, sluice, trommel, etc., but I couldn't find anything but junk with my detector ... Finally, I was out at LSD just after moving to AZ from far Northern CA and I hit on a 2+ pennyweight beautimus slug ... Immediately after that the flood gates opened and I started finding gold darn near everytime I went out ... What was the difference?  ATTITUDE! I reached a point when I first started detecting where I did not believe I could detect gold so I couldn't... As most folks discover, you can only do what you believe you can do...Change your attitude and change your latitude... If you have not done so ( or even if you have) get together with an experienced and successful detector prospector and pay attention...Here's a picture of my first detected nugget and just a few that I detected after I figured out I had to believe in my self... Cheers, Unc

Goldbutton6.jpg

Matt's Book, My Nugget.jpg

NewYearDayNuggetEmboss.jpg

SpeciFind1.jpg

Santa Martha Quarter5.JPG

1OzForSalea.JPG

• Like 6
  • well done 1
  • wow 2

I've been at it for several years without finding a nugget.  I have found a couple of nifty coins, but that's it. But, I figured out a long time ago that finding gold isn't really why I'm out there. I just like the outdoors. If I wasn't nugget-hunting,  I'd find another activity that puts me in the outdoors. Also, I don't hunt good areas. I often go where there was an "occurrence" of gold, but no mining. There just weren't many gold mines in my area that had nugget-sized gold. I accept that, but I still go. I hope, this fall to make it down to Rye Patch. Might do some poking around the Eugenes. If I find something...great! if I don't..well, I'll have seen some new country, and that's enough.

Jim

• Like 6

I thought I was the only one who gets royally pissed off. :barnie:I am still searching. It's only a matter of time though. I KNOW this because I I've seen it done time and time again. I fortunately have a lot of great advice from the forum and an incredible teacher... :worship: LukeJ.

Believe me when I say I've put my headphones back together a few times. I get that. Don't speak for anyone else here but I fully believe its attitude. Bad one will always leave you empty handed. A good one, well, the ideas growing on me. :action-smiley-068[1]: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wyoprospector, I certainly admire your persistence despite the lack of success. And you certainly have a right to feel frustrated. As I tell all of my students, "The first nugget is the hardest." When I first started nugget hunting back in 1983 about the only thing in print was Willie Merrill's booklet "Those Elusive Gold Nuggets." So, back then, we were all pretty much self-taught. Personally, when I found my first nugget with my old Garrett GroundHog the first words I uttered were "Well, it's about time!" It got easier after that. Question: are you solely self-trained, or have you been trained by an experienced nugget hunter? The reason I ask this is that your experience mirrors that of a local guy named Frank. He telephoned me one day, asking for my price on a [First-rate VLF] prospecting detector. Learning that he was a total novice, the package deal I offered him included in-field training. He refused, "I can beat that price on the internet; and I don't need training, how hard can this be?" So, he bought the [First rate] detector from a non-training dealer, and over the next 24 months accumulated over 1,000 hours in our local (reasonably productive) gold fields, and doesn't have a speck of gold to show for it. As far as he is concerned, the detector and the locales he hunts are to blame. Maybe getting professional hands-on training will reveal that your techniques need improving? Just a thought.... HH Jim

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AZMark said:

I thought I was the only one who gets royally pissed off. :barnie:I am still searching. It's only a matter of time though. I KNOW this because I I've seen it done time and time again. I fortunately have a lot of great advice from the forum and an incredible teacher... :worship: LukeJ.

Believe me when I say I've put my headphones back together a few times. I get that. Don't speak for anyone else here but I fully believe its attitude. Bad one will always leave you empty handed. A good one, well, the ideas growing on me. :action-smiley-068[1]: 

Luke is a freaking PERFECT example as is Wade, Adam,RD,Jim Straight, Uncle Ron, The Toms, Always Dirty, MCGator, MANY others, and OH and Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny more here!

• Like 3
  • wow 2