Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
BMc

LET'S SEE SOME MORE FISH PHOTOS!-80 LB CATFISH!

Recommended Posts

I was under the impression there might be some remaining interest in seeing and posting fish photos. I was very impressed with LukeJ's fish. so hopefully he won't mind that I brought them over here so anyone can comment on them and post pics of their own if they wish. I do'n know what he used for bait but Trout love to eat their own and is the best bait I've personally found. (Rainbow semi-divers are great!) Also killer for large mouth bass, so I'm told.

The Bass in the retro pic were caught on a plastic/rubber worm  and a small split shot. The 80 lb catfish was caught on a trot line using cut bait in Elephant Butte (NM), Lake/Reservoir in late Feb of this year.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is open for any topic, question, comment or photo post that is in keeping with forum standards.

LUKE J-1.PNG

LUKE J-2.PNG

BASS.PNG

ELE. BUTTE FEB 2018.PNG

Edited by BMc
typo correction
  • Like 3
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We almost always use Panther Martin spinners. 

It was a 'holographic' Panther Martin I was using that day.  The slime green roostertails work pretty good here too.  :thumbsupanim

Should I post my rifle here or there?  :41:

:4chsmu1:

Luke

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, nice catfish, BMc !!  :yesss:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

We almost always use Panther Martin spinners. 

It was a 'holographic' Panther Martin I was using that day.  The slime green roostertails work pretty good here too.  :thumbsupanim

Should I post my rifle here or there?  :41:

:4chsmu1:

Luke

Gotta love the Panther Martin. It is my old stand by for trout as well. I like the dark green with the yellow spots and a silver blade. It has been good for me. 

I also swear by a Rapala for just about every species. But I think my all time best fish catcher for sheer numbers is an all white model A Bomber catching white bass and walleye. If you can't catch one on a white bomber you may as well throw a net. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the old Panther Martin has been a mainstay for many years. PS. if you used the Brownie minnow for bait, we won't tell anyone! 

And post your rifle anywhere you want . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the model A Bombers ... Here are my favorite threesome that are in my box at all times.

white A Bomber.jpg

babbybssob A Bomber.jpg

rootbeft A Bomber.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 50s Michigan passed a law that Brook trout had to be 8". At that time fishing articles recommended using #10 or smaller hooks. The undersized Brooks would swallow the hook, ended up killing them to get the hook out.

So, started using#4 gold Aberdeen wire hooks. From then on could unhook the small ones. Had one that me unhooked five times, it kept going back to the same spot. They must not have much feeling in their lips. 

They would not bite using a plain hook, it had to be gold, small cricket or piece of nightcrawler worked great.

Did the same fishing for panfish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, some areas have a barbedless hook law so that catch and release won't kill or tear 'em up. Good idea, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Love the model A Bombers ... Here are my favorite threesome that are in my box at all times.

white A Bomber.jpg

babbybssob A Bomber.jpg

rootbeft A Bomber.jpg

They'er the BOMB, Mike! Sorry, couldn't resist.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I would hook someone in on that! :inocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I bit (finger in mouth imitating being hooked) Just trying to save some poor unsuspecting guppy from getting reeled in. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bombers are the bomb. I don't know how many I have found, painted white and replaced hooks on. Hundreds for sure. I even bought some decals for the eyes and do a sweet black spot with my airbrush.

I have got that "bomber painting" down to a science. I used to do a shad pattern but it took longer and did not seem to work as well. Now I just paint 'em white and put a spot on 'em. Best lure in the box.

When the white bass are hitting hard it is often difficult to get under the little ones to catch the nice ones near the bottom. I use a HUGE white bomber for deep sea fishing and cast way past the school. I jerk it down to the bottom quickly and get under the little ones. It works every time. The fish get much bigger and you rarely catch a tiny one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMc said:

Yeah, the old Panther Martin has been a mainstay for many years. PS. if you used the Brownie minnow for bait, we won't tell anyone! 

And post your rifle anywhere you want . . .

I posted the rifle in the other thread.  :arrowheadsmiley:

No, I really did throw it back.  We don't keep any of the fish we catch here.  Partly for the reason I stated earlier.  Preservation of the population.  The other reason is we are hiking for the better part of the day.  Fresh trout carried around all day doesn't turn out to be very fresh.  This place is a 'one or two cast per hole' kind of spot.  You sneak up, make a cast into the upper pool and once the lure is pulled into the lower pool.  BAM !!  Sometimes everything is biting, like the day of the three incher.  It's fun, but also sucks when you know there is a larger guy sitting deeper there, but all the little guys are so aggressive you're catching them instead.

I'm going back there next month so maybe I'll have another picture or two.  :thumbsupanim

Luke

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LukeJ said:

I posted the rifle in the other thread.  :arrowheadsmiley:

No, I really did throw it back.  We don't keep any of the fish we catch here.  Partly for the reason I stated earlier.  Preservation of the population.  The other reason is we are hiking for the better part of the day.  Fresh trout carried around all day doesn't turn out to be very fresh.  This place is a 'one or two cast per hole' kind of spot.  You sneak up, make a cast into the upper pool and once the lure is pulled into the lower pool.  BAM !!  Sometimes everything is biting, like the day of the three incher.  It's fun, but also sucks when you know there is a larger guy sitting deeper there, but all the little guys are so aggressive you're catching them instead.

I'm going back there next month so maybe I'll have another picture or two.  :thumbsupanim

Luke

Up in the Pecos Wilderness we would hike several miles and sneak up on a little rito like Apaches. If you made zero noise you could catch a trout on the first two casts if things went perfectly. Then you crawled away and went up a hundred yards and snuck up on the creek again.

It was work man! I wore out a set of knee pads crawling miles along the creeks. But you could catch those little wild trout like crazy. And about once a day you would nail a nice brown or cutthroat. 

We never kept any of those fish unless we ate them right there. Trout is not great eating IMHO unless they are flopping when they hit the fire. But they sure are fun to catch.

Do you fly fish Luke?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just kidding you, of course. I get the fresh trout and the preservation part. Although I think I might be tempted to stash some cooking oil and a small skillet, or at least carry some peppered cornmeal rolled up in aluminum foil with me . . . just in case that old primeval food harvesting instinct kicks in. :brows:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

We never kept any of those fish unless we ate them right there. Trout is not great eating IMHO unless they are flopping when they hit the fire. But they sure are fun to catch.

Do you fly fish Luke?

 

30 minutes ago, BMc said:

I was just kidding you, of course. I get the fresh trout and the preservation part. Although I think I might be tempted to stash some cooking oil and a small skillet, or at least carry some peppered cornmeal rolled up in aluminum foil with me . . . just in case that old primeval food harvesting instinct kicks in. :brows:

When I was younger, I had many experiences where I ate trout for breakfast within minutes of reeling them in.  Since then, other 'fresh trout' isn't as appealing.

I don't fly fish in the sense I use a fly rod and reel and wear waders.  I have caught fish on flies in the right circumstance though.  If I lived in a more northern, western state, then I would probably be more into fly fishing.

Here's a great book I got when I was a kid.

20180914_213153 (2).jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trout in the dead of winter or early Spring when the ice is coming off are great. Other than that, they get soft and really start to take on the taste of the weed growth from where we caught them. Even in our alpine lakes here that are 10,000 ft in elevation, the summer heat just makes them taste horrible. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. Trout are not the best eating fish. Just pretty and spooky and picky.

I like walleye and catfish. Hard to beat deep fried crappie or lake perch too. I eat pounds of white bass every year but they are not my favorite fish. Hot out of the grease they are fine eating though.

My family has been fishing up and down the Rio Grande for about four generations now. Big cats and fish frys are a tradition. I guess you just get a taste for that type of fish. I know trout fishermen that wont touch a bass much less eat it. I have eaten carp tacos that were better than most trout.

..We would bake those brookies in foil with an orange slice. Straight out of the water still twitching. Just like flaky pink salmon as long as you cooked them quick. Trout are kinda only in the moment. You just can't take them home and expect them to be anywhere near what they were in the mountains. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 8:01 PM, BMc said:

I was under the impression there might be some remaining interest in seeing and posting fish photos. I was very impressed with LukeJ's fish. so hopefully he won't mind that I brought them over here so anyone can comment on them and post pics of their own if they wish. I do'n know what he used for bait but Trout love to eat their own and is the best bait I've personally found. (Rainbow semi-divers are great!) Also killer for large mouth bass, so I'm told.

The Bass in the retro pic were caught on a plastic/rubber worm  and a small split shot. The 80 lb catfish was caught on a trot line using cut bait in Elephant Butte (NM), Lake/Reservoir in late Feb of this year.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is open for any topic, question, comment or photo post that is in keeping with forum standards.

LUKE J-1.PNG

LUKE J-2.PNG

BASS.PNG

ELE. BUTTE FEB 2018.PNG

A little windy on the lake but the catfish are still biting at the old fishing hole . . .

CAT FISH STRING.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 8:01 PM, BMc said:

I was under the impression there might be some remaining interest in seeing and posting fish photos. I was very impressed with LukeJ's fish. so hopefully he won't mind that I brought them over here so anyone can comment on them and post pics of their own if they wish. I do'n know what he used for bait but Trout love to eat their own and is the best bait I've personally found. (Rainbow semi-divers are great!) Also killer for large mouth bass, so I'm told.

The Bass in the retro pic were caught on a plastic/rubber worm  and a small split shot. The 80 lb catfish was caught on a trot line using cut bait in Elephant Butte (NM), Lake/Reservoir in late Feb of this year.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is open for any topic, question, comment or photo post that is in keeping with forum standards.

LUKE J-1.PNG

LUKE J-2.PNG

BASS.PNG

ELE. BUTTE FEB 2018.PNG

This was the first big cat I can remember that tasted as good as any battered and deep fried fish nuggets I have ever had, anywhere! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×