Nugget Shooter Forums

LET'S SEE SOME MORE FISH PHOTOS!-80 LB CATFISH!

Just got back from a few days in the mountains bowfishing. My son got a bucket full of big bullfrogs and we had a great time. We did manage to shoot a few fish as well.

Here he is with a whopper goldfish. What a neat target for a bow from a kayak!

DSCN0617.JPG

He cut that rascal up and caught two nice catfish with cut bait. 

And here is a nice Gila trout I managed to hit. He is about 20 inches long.

DSCN0614.JPG

I have fished for these trout in this lake for years. I have never caught one. But I was working along the bank looking for frogs and saw lots of nice fish down deep under the boat. At first I couldn't tell what they were. I watched them for several minutes and decided they were trout but I honestly could not tell what kind they were. There were many of them and they were all nice size.

I started taking shots down deep and it took several shots to get the "drop" right. The fish were in about 3 feet of water and it is extremely tough to figure out your trajectory and make shots that deep. Not to mention trout are swimming around and turning all the time and can be tough targets. But after a couple hours and a dozen shots I finally managed to nail a pretty nice one.

I couldn't believe it when I pulled him up and saw it was a Gila trout.  He was bright sunset orange and yellow. What a hoot!

I dressed him out immediately and buried him in ice. Battered and deep fried within 4 hours or so. Yuk man. I ate the skin and a big piece of meat just to say I ate it and fed the rest to the dog. He was a lot more fun to shoot than eat. 

The frog legs and catfish was excellent though so everyone was well fed. Thanks to my son. I spent the whole day getting a Gila trout and that was cool. But the toddler put the frog legs and catfish on the table. And he did it shooting (and fishing) off that kayak which is something I just can't get the hang of at all.  So cheers to the offspring! He is a real fisherman!

• Like 6
  • well done 2

Looks like you guys had a blast. Good job!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

That looks like a lot of fun and that trout sure is pretty! Too bad the taste didn't match the appearance.

He tasted just like mud with bones. :sickbyc:

I think all the Gila trout in that lake are stockers from the hatchery. There was a fishing derby a couple weeks ago and they said they stocked a bunch of big ones just before it started. My guess is that the fish I saw were these stocked trout.

A smaller, naïve fish would have probably tasted a whole lot better. Still, trout is not my favorite eating.

Everywhere in New Mexico except this particular lake you need a special license to fish for Gila Trout. Lots of guys are obsessed with catching them on flies and spend hundreds of hours trying to land one. I have a buddy that has been at it for 3-4 years now and has not caught one. I showed him the photo and he hates me now. He thinks it is cheating that I shot it with a bow and arrow. I figure getting one that way is just as tough and a lot less likely than catching one on a fly. Lots of fly fishermen have caught them. I cant say I have ever heard of anyone taking a Gila trout with a bow.

Now I know where they are hanging out I bet I can catch them pretty easy on a rod and reel. I wonder what color my buddy would turn if I showed him a stringer full?

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I wonder what color my buddy would turn if I showed him a stringer full?

A lovely shade of green I'd imagine. :pop:

Alaska Fish and Game used to release the older "brooder" trout into local lakes once in a while. They were fun to catch, but as you pointed out...were mushy fleshed and tasted like chit.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I think all the Gila trout in that lake are stockers from the hatchery. There was a fishing derby a couple weeks ago and they said they stocked a bunch of big ones just before it started. My guess is that the fish I saw were these stocked trout.

A smaller, naïve fish would have probably tasted a whole lot better. Still, trout is not my favorite eating.

Everywhere in New Mexico except this particular lake you need a special license to fish for Gila Trout. Lots of guys are obsessed with catching them on flies and spend hundreds of hours trying to land one. I have a buddy that has been at it for 3-4 years now and has not caught one. I showed him the photo and he hates me now. He thinks it is cheating that I shot it with a bow and arrow. I figure getting one that way is just as tough and a lot less likely than catching one on a fly. Lots of fly fishermen have caught them. I cant say I have ever heard of anyone taking a Gila trout with a bow.

Now I know where they are hanging out I bet I can catch them pretty easy on a rod and reel. I wonder what color my buddy would turn if I showed him a stringer full?

13 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Trout fishing is big business in my home state and delicious eating. It's hard to imagine any species of trout that taste like mud.

• Hmmmmmm 1
7 hours ago, Morlock said:

Trout fishing is big business in my home state and delicious eating. It's hard to imagine any species of trout that taste like mud.

The trout fishing here is amazing but when the water gets hot, they taste just like the algae and the weed growth in the water. We have one reservoir here where they taste like the mud when it gets hot too. Best tasting are the ones through the ice or the creek's. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Morlock said:

It is big business here as well. But even business won't make a trout taste good. 

I think it is safe to say that many fishermen regard trout as one of the least palatable catches. Especially stockers. And as water temps and fish size increase so does the muddy taste. It is worse in lakes and less in rivers. That has been my personal experience. I am certain I am not alone with this opinion.

You may enjoy them all and that is just peachy. I find the small wild stream trout palatable when they hit the skillet within a few minutes of being caught. In frigid weather from icy water they are good fare. I like small fresh caught trout baked in foil with citrus and butter in the winter. The only way I enjoy summer trout is when it is cooked into spicy fish patties and served with a big bowl of mountain grown pinto beans.

Any other fish including carp, frogs, crayfish, and shellfish are preferable to trout IMHO. I like walleye best but I eat every fish I take except the carp. I eat many pounds of catfish, bass. crappie and frogs each year and we always manage to have a couple of crawfish dinners. I do catch a few trout each year but I generally release them or give them away to someone who likes them.

The only reason I shot that trout is because I had never shot a trout with a bow. The only reason I ate him was because I shot him. I probably won't shoot at another trout because I would not want to have to eat another one. I love hitting fish with that arrow though buddy! It is just intoxicating to shoot down into the water and see that arrow go through a big fish. Wow what a rush! I will hunt bass or catfish to get my kicks though.

It is kinda like tassel eared squirrel hunting. They are as big as cats and hide like snipers in those tall ponderosa pines. They are the ultimate rifle target bar none. I freaking LOVE to shoot them out of tall trees and watch them tumble down over the branches while the dog goes berzerk. It is almost as good as sex and you can do it 10 times a day. But I quit shooting them years ago because I hate to skin them and I don't like to eat them. I just can't kill them for fun because that is not cool no matter how much fun it may be. Shooting trout is a lot the same for me I guess.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is big business here as well. But even business won't make a trout taste good. 

I think it is safe to say that many fishermen regard trout as one of the least palatable catches. Especially stockers. And as water temps and fish size increase so does the muddy taste. It is worse in lakes and less in rivers. That has been my personal experience. I am certain I am not alone with this opinion.

You may enjoy them all and that is just peachy. I find the small wild stream trout palatable when they hit the skillet within a few minutes of being caught. In frigid weather from icy water they are good fare. I like small fresh caught trout baked in foil with citrus and butter in the winter. The only way I enjoy summer trout is when it is cooked into spicy fish patties and served with a big bowl of mountain grown pinto beans.

Any other fish including carp, frogs, crayfish, and shellfish are preferable to trout IMHO. I like walleye best but I eat every fish I take except the carp. I eat many pounds of catfish, bass. crappie and frogs each year and we always manage to have a couple of crawfish dinners. I do catch a few trout each year but I generally release them or give them away to someone who likes them.

The only reason I shot that trout is because I had never shot a trout with a bow. The only reason I ate him was because I shot him. I probably won't shoot at another trout because I would not want to have to eat another one. I love hitting fish with that arrow though buddy! It is just intoxicating to shoot down into the water and see that arrow go through a big fish. Wow what a rush! I will hunt bass or catfish to get my kicks though.

It is kinda like tassel eared squirrel hunting. They are as big as cats and hide like snipers in those tall ponderosa pines. They are the ultimate rifle target bar none. I freaking LOVE to shoot them out of tall trees and watch them tumble down over the branches while the dog goes berzerk. It is almost as good as sex and you can do it 10 times a day. But I quit shooting them years ago because I hate to skin them and I don't like to eat them. I just can't kill them for fun because that is not cool no matter how much fun it may be. Shooting trout is a lot the same for me I guess.

I like this post, I quit fishing and hunting years ago because I don't kill anything unless I eat it and now a days I don't have time to clean the catch, so I won't go and hunt or fish for the fun of it, even fishing and releasing them doesn't suit me, if I ever need the food I will do it all again, but the suffering will be minimal to the food source.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

I like this post, I quit fishing and hunting years ago because I don't kill anything unless I eat it and now a days I don't have time to clean the catch, so I won't go and hunt or fish for the fun of it, even fishing and releasing them doesn't suit me, if I ever need the food I will do it all again, but the suffering will be minimal to the food source.  

I sure respect that position Skip. I think we see it in much the same terms. We deal with it at opposite ends of the spectrum though.

So here is my perspective on it...

When I was a youngster just learning to hunt my father took me to a slaughter house where they were killing and butchering pigs. I saw what real horror was. Animals feel that every bit as keenly as humans do. Those pigs that were waiting knew exactly what was happening. They could see and hear it and they hunkered and trembled in fear often for hours before their death. There was no attempt to reduce pain or fear.

I knew instinctively that if I ate that meat that I would be committing some sort of a minor "sin". What was happening was morally wrong. There was pain and horror of innocent animals at the hands of some humans which (I am told) are all in need of some salvation. All that bad stuff had to be going somewhere. I figured it was going into the bacon.

I had already seen how they kill beef cattle and although it was not as bad it was still grim business. And half of the stuff they make from a cow is from parts that a hunter would leave in the field. I saw the stark contrast between a hunter harvesting an animal and how commercial meat was handled.

I wanted to insure that my diet contained the least amount of terror, pain and horror as possible. So like everything else that has to be done right I had to do it myself. That is a big reason that I hunt. Most of the red meat that I eat comes from animals that don't even know they are dead yet. And most of the fish go to sleep in a box of ice. The guy that killed them loved and respected them. Their death was done ceremoniously, with honor and intent. Almost an act of worship in a holy place. They were not only food but the hunt made the hunter stronger and wiser. Each hunt is a spiritual and emotional journey as well as a physical one.

And when I make a mistake and cause fear or pain I must see it. I must feel bad about it. I must walk and track until I get the job done or admit I cannot. I have to ask for forgiveness and make it right because I see the consequences of my actions as it is happening. And I try to learn from it.

I figure that is just that much less crap I am going to have to deal with trying to get my heathen azz into heaven you know? My plan is to have a bunch of colorful fish and sleek deer at my judgement talking me up about what a groovy warrior I am. Otherwise I am afraid I will have a herd of horrified hogs hunkering in some awful nightmare situation witnessing for me. 

Just my two sheckles on it. 

https://nationaldeeralliance.com/presidents-blog/top-10-famous-quotes-for-deer-hunters

A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

• Like 6
3 hours ago, nugget108 said:

The trout fishing here is amazing but when the water gets hot, they taste just like the algae and the weed growth in the water. We have one reservoir here where they taste like the mud when it gets hot too. Best tasting are the ones through the ice or the creek's. 

Angel lake has good fish and wild horse

• Like 2

Plenty of those to go around Bob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Morlock said:

Yeah Steve, I think we would suspect that Montana might be an exception. High country ice cold lakes and streams seem to be the ticket for good eatin'  trout, for sure. Lake Roberts in the Gila used to be that way, so I'm told. But, no more apparently. ( My cats disagree with me, but what do they know?) :)

44 minutes ago, BMc said:

Yeah Steve, I think we would suspect that Montana might be an exception. High country ice cold lakes and streams seem to be the ticket for good eatin'  trout, for sure. Lake Roberts in the Gila used to be that way, so I'm told. But, no more apparently. ( My cats disagree with me, but what do they know?) :)

Mmmmmm… House cat! :droolin: