Nugget Shooter Forums
Bedrock Bob

The Gage Train Robbery Treasure Hunt

The Gage Train Robbery Treasure Hunt

Recently a forum member posted an excellent story about a train robbery near Gage, New Mexico in the early 1800’s. Here is a link.

I have decided to have a little treasure hunt based around the story.

I am offering a tiny Hillsboro nugget to anyone who can “find” the correct location of the loot that was taken from the train. I will post a photo of the nugget later today.

….

There are conflicting stories about the train robbery. There is a very good chance that the loot was never buried or lost. There could have been two train robberies in the area. History has clouded the facts and it is up to the treasure hunter to do research and find a location where they think the loot wound up.

I have “hidden” the loot in a place that it could be, given what is known about the robbery or (robberies). Since there are various stories of train robberies about this time I could have hidden the treasure on a hillside near Gage or it could have been found when the outlaw’s horses were found.

Or…

There may be no treasure! The loot may have never been lost. The lawmen or the soldiers could have taken it. But we know there was a train robbery (or two) and it is up to the hunter to decide what happened to it.

….

If we are going to detect for the treasure we need to know where to put the coil on the ground. If we are going to dig we need to know where to sink the shovel. That is what research is all about. So the winner will give GPS coordinates so we can search. They will also tell us what clues led them to the location.

If the treasure does not exist the winner will tell us what happened to it and where it wound up. Again, give us GPS coordinates of the spot the treasure changed hands and tell us how it wound up there. If it was buried and found tell us where it was buried. If it was with the horses tell us where the horses were found.

The spot that I have located the treasure is a historic location. You can see it on Google maps. The coordinates are readily available.  It makes sense given what we know about the robbery and the time period.

I will discuss the hunt with you as a fellow hunter. We can kick around ideas and possibilities but I will play the location close to the vest just like a fellow hunter would. I won’t purposely steer anyone in the wrong direction. I will divulge clues once in a while. I want it to be challenging but I want the hunt to be solved too.

….

When someone thinks they know the location post the coordinates and a few words on how the loot got there. Tell us why you would search in that location. If you are correct I will mail you the nugget! If you are not you get one more try. That way we won’t get guys just peppering guesses out there with no research. (You would not spend hours searching a location that just popped into your head so we won’t do wild guesses here).

Let’s keep the discussions here about the hunt. We can kick around ideas and BS all we want but let’s not post personal photos and tell personal stories here. We have lots of room for that elsewhere. Let’s keep this about the Gage Train Robbery and info pertaining to it. Hopefully we can learn from each other’s research and solve the riddle without getting sidetracked too much.

I am open to suggestions on how to handle things as we go along. If we have problems we will figure out how to make it better. If we can’t solve the riddle then after a while I will post the answer and we can decide of we want to try again.

Good hunting and good luck!

Bedrock Bob

O.K. here is the prize. Just one trick. You have to guess which nugget I am offering from the poke...

nugget1.JPG

(Sorry about the photo. My camera just started to draw a vacuum)

Correct! It is the smallest one!

nugget2.JPG

Four lovely grains of pure New Mexico gold cut from the 400 foot level of a 600 foot grave. Hardrock Hillsboro gold. As rough as nature makes them. It never saw light until it saw mine.

I will stuff it in an envelope and write your name on it if you can guess the location of the Gage Train Robbery loot! I have sent Skip the answer to the riddle and he will post it if someone gets it right. 

Good luck guys! May the best treasure hunter win!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

Looks more like Manzano gold than Hillsboro Bob. You wouldn't be pulling my leg would you? :knight-horse:

I'm wondering how many "treasure" seekers are going to drown in Colorado or get arrested in Yosemite looking for that "loot"? This could be a big boost for us natural selection aficionados!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, clay said:

Looks more like Manzano gold than Hillsboro Bob. You wouldn't be pulling my leg would you? :knight-horse:

I'm wondering how many "treasure" seekers are going to drown in Colorado or get arrested in Yosemite looking for that "loot"? This could be a big boost for us natural selection aficionados!

I don't know what to tell you Clay. It is Hillsboro gold and it looks just like Hillsboro gold. I have never heard of hardrock in the Manzanos and darn sure never mined there. But then you know that. :idunno:

No one is going to drown looking for this treasure. It's not that kind of hunt. But then you know that too. :idunno:

See ya Clay!

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I'm guessing the stash from the imaginary train robbery is in the Monzano Mountains.

Is there any limit on the number of guesses? Are we allowed to search underwater? :4chsmu1:

8 minutes ago, clay said:

I'm guessing the stash from the imaginary train robbery is in the Monzano Mountains.

Is there any limit on the number of guesses? Are we allowed to search underwater? :4chsmu1:

Not in the Manzanos... Sorry! Nice try though!

Read my original post and it will answer all your questions.

Thanks for playing Clay! :4chsmu1:

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Here is a trail of bread crumbs that will lead you to the loot.

I am not going to offer any more info on Edge's story than has been discussed on his thread. He has a first hand story from his Grandfather that had a ranch just a few miles away. He has concrete finds in the way of a cavalry cap and a pistol. His Grandfather says there is a hill with graves where the outlaws died. The story may lead in that direction. I will let those clues stand on their own. If the loot is there Edge's story will allow you to locate it. We have kicked around those possibilities on that thread petty well.

For the story historically documented in 1883 I have linked to a few references. There are plenty more on the internet for anyone who wants to dig that deep. But it is not needed. If you know the information in these few short articles you will be able to decide where you think the loot went. 

The trick is going to be determining the exact spot. It will take some guessing. And you will have to know a bit about life in those days and what was happening in southern New Mexico in the early 1880's. But if we can get some serious guesses and some discussion going it will not be that hard. 

Here are some links. Enjoy!

Here is a short synopsis of Harvey Whitehill. He was the sheriff in Silver City and dealt with the train robbers, their escape, and their re capture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Whitehill

You gotta love True West Magazine. They sure can present a good story.

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-gage-train-robbers-vs-the-citizens-of-silver-city/

This might be interesting…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Tucker_(lawman)

Here is a great book on the robbery that really goes deep into the subject. You don't need to dig that deep to find the location though…

Lynch ropes & long shots : the true story of an Old West train robbery

Author:

Bob Alexander; John D Tanner, Jr.

Publisher:

Silver City, N.M. : High-Lonesome Books, 2006.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Here is a link to a Nuggetshooter discussion that may offer some clues. It is about a little mining village close to the site of the robbery(s). The story includes the hypothesis that the outlaws that robbed the train at Gage were residents of the town of CHANCE (or Victorio), New Mexico. The town was full of likely suspects.

The story includes a cave where there lives a ferocious beast that seemed to be guarding some deep mystery. Anyone hunting this treasure needs to evaluate this information and consider this location as a possibility. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Here is a link back to the thread where I originally discussed the idea. There may be some info there to consider.

If you have a guess please post the coordinates and a reason you think the loot wound up there. Only guesses posted on this thread count.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

Here is a link back to the thread where I originally discussed the idea. There may be some info there to consider.

If you have a guess please post the coordinates and a reason you think the loot wound up there. Only guesses posted on this thread count.

You hid that Lil nuggy in the cave in Chance, guarded by the fur-ocious beast!

When do I collect?

Is it in the state of New Mexico?

7 hours ago, Edge said:

You hid that Lil nuggy in the cave in Chance, guarded by the fur-ocious beast!

When do I collect?

That is a great guess amigo! It would be a great place to stash the loot. But it is not in Victorio (Chance) nor is it hidden in a cave. It could definitely have been guarded by a fur-ocious beast though! At least in a figurative sense. 

Remember, I hid the treasure before the post about Chance (Victorio). The CHANCE that it would be in CHANCE would be astronomical. But there may be another subtle clue in that thread that may be useful.

Chose a story and chose a path. There are two stories to consider and the loot will only be found if you chose the right one.

6 hours ago, Morlock said:

Is it in the state of New Mexico?

Yes! The loot is stashed in New Mexico. It is an historic location. That location has completely changed today, but was the site of a lot of history during the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. 

• Like 1

The biggest consideration in that part if the state is a consistent water source for the bandits and their mounts. I think it's safe to say we're looking within a 30 mile radius of the robbery?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Edge said:

The biggest consideration in that part if the state is a consistent water source for the bandits and their mounts. I think it's safe to say we're looking within a 30 mile radius of the robbery?

The story your grandfather told ended on the Hogback where the loot was either buried, lost or taken by soldiers. The 1883 robbery ended differently with the outlaws being arrested a few days after the robbery, escaping and then being caught and hanged.

So no, I would not say they loot would have to be within 30 miles of the robbery. It may certainly be. But either story you follow the loot could be many miles away.

EDIT - I will say that the loot is in New Mexico within a 100 mile radius of the robbery. That narrows it down considerably.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Hmmmmmm 1