Nugget Shooter Forums
Morlock

Meteorite Hunting With A Twist

This is interesting...

"Authentic moon rocks are considered national treasures and cannot legally be sold in the U.S., he said."

You can find authentic lunar meteorites on eBay up for bid or for sale. They need to change the law since a number have been discovered by meteorite hunters.

Hey! That's not fair.

I make authentic Moon rocks myself and provide a tutorial. Look at my thread post,  "How to make Authentic Man Made Lunars". 

The government has no right to take away my right to buy, sell or trade my Moon rocks. Just check out all of my NWA 5000s being constantly sold and resold on eBay.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
humor
  • Haha 2

OMG all those legendary NWA 5000's for sale drive me nuts. And the price.  Forget about it. You can only milk a cow so long.

I will milk that cow just as long as I can until at last it becomes an utter failure.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
humor
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, billpeters said:

I will milk that cow just as long as I can until at last it  becomes an utter failure.

billpeters

If that's your listing, all power to ya it's better than what I can say I'm doing. I was impressing some of my friends with the prices of lunars, those 5000's

Edited by Rocky

Hey Rocky,

Go make your own lunars. I already gave you the tutorial.

billpeters

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Morlock said:

This is interesting...

"Authentic moon rocks are considered national treasures and cannot legally be sold in the U.S., he said."

You can find authentic lunar meteorites on eBay up for bid or for sale. They need to change the law since a number have been discovered by meteorite hunters.

This rule is specifically for the Apollo mission samples collected while on the moon. I don't believe it applies to lunar meteorites recovered on earth. Especially if they are recovered from another country. I have a few lunars frags myself. It's probably best everyone has a few lunars in their collection at some point. Right Bob?

IMAG3407~2.jpg

Edited by Rocky

Rocky is right. Lunar samples and lunar meteorites are two different animals all together.

I built the repository for all the moon rock samples not on loan to research. They reside in a climate controlled room right outside Las Cruces. While we were doing the project they set up a display in the cafeteria and had pounds of lunar material to look at. Had a microscope set up and a bunch of slices to gaze at, and a sweet interactive display.

Boxes and boxes of those Space Shuttle tiles too...:brows:

...Talk about a felony!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Question: What strewn field extends from New Mexico to Florida?

14 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Question: What strewn field extends from New Mexico to Florida?

Ouch

Edited by Rocky
Is my answer

23 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Edited  by Bedrock Bob 
Question: What strewn field extends from New Mexico to Florida?

The Southeastern strewn field??

Challenger disaster.

8 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

The Southeastern strewn field??

• Sad 1
  • well done 1

22 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Challenger disaster.

BINGO!

Sorry, this is not about moon rocks and I headed off on a tangent. I just realized I was taking the thread down my own little path. We will save my Challenger Strewn Field carbon/carbon tile stories for another thread that is more appropriate. 

My apologies Morlock.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because I dont want to be a huge tool and hijack your thread.

I hope the recent find in Nevada by Jason Utas at UCLA is classified as a Lunar. If it is, it will be the first in the USA.

Dave

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DolanDave said:

I hope the recent find in Nevada by Jason Utas at UCLA is classified as a Lunar. If it is, it will be the first in the USA.

Dave

This is the first time I've heard of this. Keep us updated.

• Like 1

There is a moon rock (not meteorite) on display at the San Diego Air and Space Museum. I'm sorry to say some genius decided to entomb the little bugger in acrylic which is a detraction for me but it's still pretty cool.