Nugget Shooter Forums
mcgator

Gold is Not Where You Find It

Doc has a great read in the September 2018 issue of GPAA titled "Gold Is Not Where You Find". I even seem to recognize a pair of legs in there. Great article! Keep them coming Doc!

20180913_085028.jpg

• Like 3

I like Doc a lot. Hes a good guy, and likely a great teacher. I see where he is going with the article, but I do believe gold is where you find it .....

Edited by adam
  • Like 2

I totally understand the theory, but gold is where you find it. Its just the knowledge gained after time or teaching, to know why you found it right there. 

If Doc only gets skunked 1 out of 20 times he goes out I would say he is hunting some pretty good ground. Personally, I will go in stretches where I find gold in that ratio until I have cleaned the area out. Then it's back to hit and miss for a spell searching for the gold, that is where you find it. 

• Like 2

Doc took that from me! if you look, at the bottom of my page, It says: Gold is not always where you look! But is always where you find it! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grubstake said:

Doc took that from me! if you look, at the bottom of my page, It says: Gold is not always where you look! But is always where you find it! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

Due to the fact that mother nature has created, eroded, shifted, flooded, uplifted, erupted and generally rearranged the landscape for millions of years? I haven't read Doc's full article yet but soon will! 

I'll need to talk with Doc about writing for the wrong magazine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Hmmmmmm 1

3 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

I'll need to talk with Doc about writing for the wrong magazine.

LOL! Not sure you can call a recreational prospecting supply catalog with a couple articles a magazine?:ROFL:

I've learned way more from ICMJ over the years than the other publication.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A catchy title draws a look.  Glad I did.  Lot's of knowledge packed in there.

Gotta love Doc, one of my favorite folks I must admit. Good article.... :reading:

I don't know where gold is, but I can tell you this...it AIN"T where I been looking …   :ROFL:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, azdigger said:

I don't know where gold is, but I can tell you this...it AIN"T where I been looking …   :ROFL:

That is the way you find gold sometimes. When you learn every place it isn't then you know all the places that it is! 

• Like 4

These days if you want to find gold, the best way to do it is think outside the box. its just that simple. gold is not where you find it, way too pessimistic for me, its where you track it down too and that's what prospecting truly is. :)   AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

“Gold is where you find it”, “Gold is not where you find it”, not sure what the right answer is. However, I will tell you where it isn’t. It’s not in my neighbors front yard. Boy were they mad when I dug up their yard. I guess I was testing the “Gold is where you find it” theory. Maybe I should have filled my holes. But honestly, their yard looks a lot better now. 😜

• Haha 2

So I'll give y'all the same explanation I gave in another forum.

Assuming you are married, let me remind you of that time when you decided to ask your girlfriend to marry you.  You had to buy an engagement ring.  So where did you go to look for that Gold Engagement Ring?  Did you hurry on down to your local meat market?  Oh, maybe you went to Pep Boys auto-parts.  Oh, I know, you went to Payless Shoe store, right?

Chances are pretty good you went to a Jewelry store.  Do you know why?  Because that's where the engagement rings are!  You didn't walk out of that Jewelry store with a ring and say, "Dad gum it, like I have always said, gold engagement rings are where you find them."  No, gold engagement rings are found where they are most likely to be; in a jewelry store.

Now granted, you may go into some department store and lo and behold, you discover they have a jewelry counter.  You didn't expect it, you are quite surprised.  Same thing happens in gold nugget hunting.  Every once in a while you get surprised and find a gold nugget in a place were you would not normally invest your time looking.

Oh I know, there are some of you who are going to say, I found two ounces of nuggets in an area that should have never had gold.  Really?  Then why were you there?  It may have been conditions that were unlike places where you had found gold before, but I can almost bet that you had already found gold nearby, or knew the area to be gold bearing, and that knowledge is what took you there, instead of going to Nelson Nevada. (I'll explain Nelson Nevada in a minute.)

For the most part, successful nugget hunters don't go swinging their detectors in a K-Mart parking lot, because that is not where the gold is.

"Gold is where you find it." is just a cute catch phrase.  It's like you "always find your keys in the last place you look."   Bottom line is, the greatest majority of gold is found by experienced people who have paid their dues and learned how and where to look for gold.

Let me tell you a little story on myself.  It's 1990, I decide that I'm going to start finding gold using a metal detector.  Now I'm a smart ass, I don't need no training.  I'm going to get a metal detector, I'm going to do some research and I'm going to find some gold, because gold is where you find it.  Where is the best place to find gold?  Where it has already been found.  So I do some research and find out that in Nelson Nevada there were millions and millions of dollars worth of gold found and that was when gold was $35 an ounce.  Gold is where you find it, and those old timers found it there.  They found it in the Jubilee mine, the Manhattan mine, heck it was all over the place.

I find a Minelab dealer who is willing to sell me a machine at a few hundred dollars over cost.  He was back east, he didn't sell any gold machines, but he did some research and found me a Minelab machine that said right on the box an endorsement, "Hot on gold!"  Yes, I got me a Minelab that was HOT ON GOLD!  It was an Excalibur!  Three months later I found out that meant the gold it was hot on was jewelry found on the beach. 

Three months of going to Nelson 3 to 4 days a week and nothing.  All of those enormous mines and I couldn't find anything.  WHY?  Because I had learned just enough to be stupid, but not enough to find gold.  I finally got some training.  Here's what I found out.  First, the Excalibur is not a gold nugget machine.  Second, gold nuggets host rock is generally quartz with a mix of granite, ironstone, etc. etc.  The host rock in Nelson was monzonite.  There is no detectable gold in Nelson because all the gold found in Nelson was microscopic.  Mining was done by blasting, assaying, crushing the ore and leaching the gold out with potassium cyanide.  Now there was gold there to find, but I didn't have the knowledge or equipment to find it.

So the title "Gold is not where you find it" is followed up with the explanation "Gold is found where it is most likely to be." If that is not the case then we all need to stay away from places like Quartzsite, and LDS, and Rye Patch, and Rich Hill.  The point of my article is that in order to find gold you need to learn how to look for gold in the places it is most likely to be found.  You need training and knowledge if you are going to learn where it is most likely to be.  Get training from experienced people like Bill.  You need to know your machine, a little about geology, being alert for clues of old workings, ancient stream beds, hand stacking, checking under bushes, rolling rocks, mineralized soil quartz, black sand, dry washings, etc. etc.

The Gold is where you find it, is too simplistic and implies that finding gold is just a stroke of luck and anyone could stumble upon a nugget anywhere.  I suppose that could happen.  Anything is possible.  But is it likely?  Would you rather spend your time hoping you get struck by lightening, or would you rather Bill train you that if you strip naked, wet yourself down, stick a hose up your butt, climb up in a tall tree and hold two metal golf clubs up in the air as high as you can during a thunder storm, you have a better than average chance of being shocked at the outcome?

Like the famous bank robber Willy Sutton answered when asked "Why do you rob banks?" 

"Because that's where the money is!"

Doc

• Like 6
  • well done 1

all true, Doc...gold is where you find it...especially after you learn the likely places where God hid it!

you are a very good and interesting writer

fred

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Gold no longer is where I :laught16: have found it.....

Well at least the gold you found is not htere anymore, but I'm willing to bet there is still a very, very, very very, tiny piece of gold everywhere you have found gold, as one of the other sayings about gold says..."nobody gets it all" !!

• Like 3

One of my favorite spots I found 30 years ago. I have methodically cleaned that patch out a half dozen times and it still gives me gold. I drywashed it, detected it, raked it up in rows and detected it again, then raked the rows down and detected what was under them. Then I did it again. Lots of guys have seen those diggings and had their own little projects there. The whole hillside has been stripped to a depth of a couple feet. But you can still find gold there. I have no idea how but you can. 

Gold may not be "where you find it" but it is always where you found it.

16 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

One of my favorite spots I found 30 years ago. I have methodically cleaned that patch out a half dozen times and it still gives me gold. I drywashed it, detected it, raked it up in rows and detected it again, then raked the rows down and detected what was under them. Then I did it again. Lots of guys have seen those diggings and had their own little projects there. The whole hillside has been stripped to a depth of a couple feet. But you can still find gold there. I have no idea how but you can. 

Gold may not be "where you find it" but it is always where you found it.

Which is why most people aren't giving up locations of their 'old patches'.  I guess it's a little different when it comes to shipwreck spots.  :inocent:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Well at least the gold you found is not htere anymore, but I'm willing to bet there is still a very, very, very very, tiny piece of gold everywhere you have found gold, as one of the other sayings about gold says..."nobody gets it all" !!

AuSeeker,

No doubt there is still gold but its not reachable with my 4500. Worked it to death....100X ....the small  sub gram to 4 gram nuggets must be to deep. I have used every imaginable coil...the dirt is silent...Waiting for the next Minelab detector that can actually reach down and get those small deep ones :). Been waiting to hear about the gpz 7000 and how its opening up all those worked out patches..:idunno:. But seems like it may have fell short....I could be wrong...perhaps everyone is just keeping silent.

• Hmmmmmm 1

The GPZ is a killer detector in IT"S ENVIRONMENT (the catch) and that environment is areas of fairly level ground where you do not have to lift a 14 x 12 coil over allot of obstacles.... :inocent:

So in many areas I hunt or perhaps MOST I need to be able to use a wider variety of coils and the GP 3500 ummmmm slightly modded does it for me most of the time. OK so is the 7000 bad, heck no and in it's element there is nothing better, but.....

So what are my main choices "today" ????

Modded 3500 and GM 1000 with a SDC 2300 in the tool kit. GPZ when needed..... Just what works for me for what I do and the GM 1000 is just a fun beeper :wee:

Hope this helps

• Like 2

You are so correct, Bill! 

I love many things about my 7000, but, I hate the weight. After having a moment of hopeful greed I bought the 19 inch coil. It did not produce any multi-oz nuggets. Of course they have to be there to find them.  I wish they would produce a smaller coil-oh well.

Of course, like Mike Furnace I am getting old and feeble, much to my dismay. But, it is getting cool and the desert awaits.  The 7000, equinox 800 and me are coming...the gold is there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fredmason said:

Of course, like Mike Furnace I am getting old and feeble...

:laught16:

• Like 1