Nugget Shooter Forums
BMc

COBRAY SIDE BY SIDE .45 LONG COLT/.410 2.5 INCH

39 minutes ago, BMc said:

Yeah. that was my understanding also, and my research didn't show any green sidewinders either. But it was definitely a sharp, bright green color and it did have the characteristic SW horns. I was able to put the flashlight pretty close to it and, the adjacent sand and pebbles etc looked to be their normal color, so . . . one of life's mysteries I guess. Thanks Au Seeker!

Was it St. Patrick's day some sidewinders have been known to celebrate that holiday? :idunno:

• Haha 1

Apparently! Erin go braugh! I like the Pied Piper also. Those two guys should have gotten together with GeoJack and he could have probably saved them a lot of time that they could have spent down at the pub. Drinking that green (snake) beer.

IRELAND FOREVER.PNG

Noticed living in smoke tree that whoever had a dog, also had an excess amount of rattlesnakes around because the rodent population increased because of the dog food.

The kit foxes that show up at camp, only give them one cracker each, then only about every third time they visit. They seem happy just to visit and listen to me talk. Have yet to see any rattlesnakes around camp, but have seen king snake's around the area.

There is a spring about half mile away, but don't go near it, lot of mule tail deer, burrows and desert bighorn sheep. First November is opening of deer season, they migrate out of smoke tree to the valley where me camp's, huge buck's and lots of doe's. My mining partner is always being asked where me camp is, he laughs at them and says no.

Yessir, the rodents will go after the dog food, if it's not put up in a covered container. My friend who I got the Cobray from, had bought it to control rats in his barn where he stored his dog and chicken feed. He'd been using a .45 auto before that.   

On 9/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, BMc said:

G.Jack, I get the drift, but here's the reality. The snake dens, left unchecked in a multiple use area present a danger to humans and livestock alike. The rancher who has the BLM lease in this area has a problem with his cattle getting bitten by rattlers, which is not uncommon here locally. He asked us to help thin out the snakes which I would have done anyway for safety reasons, especially if young people are present. Most of the time the rattlesnakes in this area don't rattle, they just freeze, and due to their coloration and the vegetation etc., people tend to walk right up on them, and even step on them sometimes. Rodents (field mice) aren't a problem anywhere that I'm aware of, especially along the river and in the bosque (wooded areas). The snakes here live off of frogs, lizards, bird eggs and other snakes mostly. And there's always plenty of Rattlesnakes (and other snakes), left over to manage the remaining rodent population (ground squirrels, gophers, kangaroo rats etc.)

Most of the State of New Mexico is a rural environment. Even so rattle snakes are found in cities and towns, homes and businesses. I usually find 1 or 2 in my yard per year, and that seems to be typical for my rural neighborhood. My neighbor behind me, who is the Post Master/Mistress of Hatch, NM was bitten in her back yard last year, and my neighbor to the West of me was struck on the bottom of his shoe, after he jumped back, slipped and fell, trying to avoid a strike. The farmer/neighbor across the street who grows alfalfa hay, reports that he runs over several rattlers with his tractor when he cuts hay, about every  3 weeks during spring, summer, and early fall.  I talked to another neighbor last night who killed 2 rattlers on his front porch last July. The farmers tend to manage mice and snakes by keeping Barn Cats, that control both. I do catch and release (spay/neuter program), on feral cats in my neighborhood and they are very effective in this manner.

Hope that eases your concerns. Between the proliferation of snakes and the feline population in the area, rodents haven't presented a problem.

I talked to another neighbor last night who killed 2 rattlers on his front porch last month (July)  . . . (prior post)

I had to rush my neighbor to Memorial Hospital last evening for a rattle snake bite on his right hand. (index finger) After the two on his porch in July and one that his cats killed and drug up to the house in Aug, he finally took a hit while reaching down to pick up a piece of wind blown trash next to an outbuilding. It was a 3 footer, coiled up out of sight just under the edge of the wall. He managed to stab it a few times with a pitch fork after it bit him but it still crawled off. Fortunately, it was a "one fanger"; swollen hand and arm, but bad enough for two overnight stays on an ant-venom IV drip. He should be OK in a few weeks.