Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edge

A NM Hidden Treasure Tale..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=train+robbery+gage+new+mexico&view=detail&mid=C5DF54AF2B8C3242EE9EC5DF54AF2B8C3242EE9E&FORM=VIRE

They based several movies on the "Great Train Robbery" of Gage. A few of the outlaws were connected to Curly Bill's gang and were the usual suspects in the area...the local ranchers. It caused a big commotion because of the huge reward for the outlaws after they escaped custody in Silver City.

There is a roadside historical marker just east of Gage on the site of the wreck. It was erected in 2006 by the NM Historical Society and the Department of Transportation.

Like many tales of the west this story has been mingled with other stories. Exactly how this went down is anyone's guess but there are lots of good records and documentation. It is a fairly well known piece of the old west. 

It seems like the treasure tale might not end at the Hogback after all...

Edited by Bedrock Bob

45 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=train+robbery+gage+new+mexico&view=detail&mid=C5DF54AF2B8C3242EE9EC5DF54AF2B8C3242EE9E&FORM=VIRE

They based several movies on the "Great Train Robbery" of Gage. A few of the outlaws were connected to Curly Bill's gang and were the usual suspects in the area...the local ranchers. It caused a big commotion because of the huge reward for the outlaws after they escaped custody in Silver City.

There is a roadside historical marker just east of Gage on the site of the wreck. It was erected in 2006 by the NM Historical Society and the Department of Transportation.

Like many tales of the west this story has been mingled with other stories. Exactly how this went down is anyone's guess but there are lots of good records and documentation. It is a fairly well known piece of the old west. 

It seems like the treasure tale might not end at the Hogback after all...

Good story but I'm nearly certain the one I'm referring to was in 1881. Don't recall reading of any deaths of train personnel either, pretty sure that would have been made it into the article.

Also I don't recall the train being derailed but that's a good way to get it to stop.

Edited by Edge

From your original post...

"I thought portions of the story just didn't jive but I loved hearing them and rarely interrupted grandpa's stories even if I were busy with more pressing matters like going through his record albums or catching lizards on the front porch while he yammered on. "

You must consider the accuracy of the source when doing research. Could it be there were two train robberies? Or could grandpa be embellishing for his grandson? Could grandpa have simply repeated a story that had changed when handed down by word of mouth?

We know there was a train robbery at Gage. You have told us what Grandpa said about it. There are records of another very famous train robbery a couple years later in virtually the same spot. There could have been two. There are too many similarities between them to ignore. It is a conundrum. There are many possible branches. It is a CLASIC TREASURE HUNT now and I like it!

Let the treasure hunt begin! I will be hiding the treasure forthwith and will use your story and our discussion as the first clues. The hunters can decide which information to follow. I will be happy to kick ideas around with anyone just like treasure hunters discuss stories. I will offer some clues in the discussions, if there is any discussion. I will post from time to time if prompted. 

If there are guys that want to find it and participate in asking questions and researching the possibilities it will be found. It really won't be that hard. Let's have some fun with it!

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Ready

• Thanks 1