Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

Treasure Hunts?

Recommended Posts

Many years ago I had a business associate that was very much into treasure hunting. His name was Gene Ballinger. He was another story all together.... but he ran a small newspaper in Hatch called "The Courrier". He had lots of treasure stories in the paper and had regular treasure hunts. The prize was often an ounce of gold that he would buy from me. 

He would hide an object and write a series of riddles that pertained to local history that were clues. When you solved the clues you had a location to search. Then you had to drive to the location and locate the object. When the object was located you returned it to his office in Hatch and you received the gold. Pretty simple.

Would there be interest in a treasure hunt here? Maybe we could have a couple in different locations? Kinda like geo caching but with a prize token in the box. Maybe we could do a virtual treasure hunt on this forum just for fun?

Anyhoo, I think if we put our heads together we could have some fun here! I would be willing to bury a treasure and write some clues to find it. I bet there are enough guys from New Mexico to get some interest... maybe.

Whaddya think? Would anyone have any interest in looking for a real (small) treasure? Like geo-caching with a point? Would anyone be willing to get together to bury a small treasure in their area?

Is there anyone who may want to create a club where everyone pitched in five or ten bucks for the treasure story and the one who solved the riddle took the pot? We could even do it virtually so everyone could "search" and get a crack at solving the location riddles.

????

Bob

 

 

 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like fun!:thumbsupanim

But I have to ask, what is it with you people from New Mexico, and buried treasures with clues?:25r30wi:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's two buried "treasures" that have never been found.

Forrest Fenn's in New Mexico and Robert Tathams in Missouri.

If you're going to do something like this, make it easy to find so you don't have  people pulling their hair out years after you give the clues.😉😉😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

There's two buried "treasures" that have never been found.

Forrest Fenn's in New Mexico and Robert Tathams in Missouri.

If you're going to do something like this, make it easy to find so you don't have  people pulling their hair out years after you give the clues.😉😉😉

100% agreed. This needs to be a fun thing.

I think the whole point would be that someone would find it within a fairly short amount of time. Make it hard enough that it was a challenge and publish clues as time goes by. Publish as many as needed to have the group find the treasure. No more than a few months should go by without a new treasure or it would not attract anyone. Just like a geocache. 

If no one found the treasure the group could all meet at the location and find it. An "outing" of sorts but for the treasure instead of gold. It would be a good way to end a stalemate.

A virtual hunt could only last hours or days. Depending on how it was designed a guy could solve the riddle(s) pretty quickly. 

No one is going to pull their hair out over a $50 or $100 treasure. Certainly not for years. This is just for fun. 

 

 

Terry,

Yeah, I guess there is something in the (lack of) water in New Mexico that causes a guy to treasure hunt. :)

 

We just need a bunch of guys to participate and make it happen. If you want to do a small hunt or a big one I am game. A virtual hunt or a real live detector based search after locating a spot with clues. We can make this happen any way we want to. 

 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TREASURE HUNTER, NEWSMAN, DEPUTY SHERIFF, MURDER SUSPECT: Gene Ballinger of The Courier, was an interesting guy. Before moving to Hatch NM, he had reportedly/allegedly been a deputy sheriff in Michigan,  a publisher of a newspaper-type tabloid treasure hunter's publication, a metal detector dealer, a swindler and a con man. He had reportedly been indicted for a $750,000 check fraud scheme in Bay City, Michigan (Ludington Michigan Daily News April 2, 1972) Mr. Ballinger was a proponent and apparent believer in old Spanish mines and treasure related matters, including the Victorio Peak, Doc Noss story that played out on the streets of Hatch where Noss was shot and killed in 1949. 
The interior of The Courier's storefront was decorated with relics/Indian artifacts/arrowheads and Western memorabilia. His newspaper articles covered historical, as well as current events, and his empathy for farmers and ranchers (and his enmity for governmental and bureaucratic abuses),  gained him many friends and supporters in the region.
It would also appear that he had made some enemies along the way, which led to his indictment for murder here in NM in 1981, in a rather bizarre case that involved an alleged real estate fraud and a corporate partnership gone bad. The murder victim, one of the real estate partners, was alleged involved in para-military activities, the missing murder victim's body was discovered by a "Dowser" (also one of the partners), who later turned States Evidence against Ballinger and who's testimony resulted in Ballinger's conviction for murder. Ballinger was tried, convicted, had the original verdict overturned on appeal, remanded to the lower court for retrial, then re-tried and convicted and sent to prison where he served 4 years of a 9 year sentence.

His appeal on his 2nd conviction resulted in the charges being dismissed and he was released from prison and later had his sentence exonerated. The National Registry of Exoneration's list the contributing factors for his exoneration, including: Perjury, False Testimony, and Official Misconduct.

I offered to sell Gene some gold nuggets on one occasion but he didn't want to pay 80% of spot price, saying he had a cheaper source. I also witnessed other gold transactions across the counter in his store, so he did appear to have various sources, including one old rancher who showed us a gold nugget he pulled out of his pocket and told us that he had been picking up marble sized nuggets in his front yard. The man said that he had never used a metal detector before and as long as he could pick them up off the ground, he guessed he didn't need one. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BMc said:

TREASURE HUNTER, NEWSMAN, DEPUTY SHERIFF, MURDER SUSPECT: Gene Ballinger of The Courier, was an interesting guy. Before moving to Hatch NM, he had reportedly/allegedly been a deputy sheriff in Michigan,  a publisher of a newspaper-type tabloid treasure hunter's publication, a metal detector dealer, a swindler and a con man. He had reportedly been indicted for a $750,000 check fraud scheme in Bay City, Michigan (Ludington Michigan Daily News April 2, 1972) Mr. Ballinger was a proponent and apparent believer in old Spanish mines and treasure related matters, including the Victorio Peak, Doc Noss story that played out on the streets of Hatch where Noss was shot and killed in 1949. 
The interior of The Courier's storefront was decorated with relics/Indian artifacts/arrowheads and Western memorabilia. His newspaper articles covered historical, as well as current events, and his empathy for farmers and ranchers (and his enmity for governmental and bureaucratic abuses),  gained him many friends and supporters in the region.
It would also appear that he had made some enemies along the way, which led to his indictment for murder here in NM in 1981, in a rather bizarre case that involved an alleged real estate fraud and a corporate partnership gone bad. The murder victim, one of the real estate partners, was alleged involved in para-military activities, the missing murder victim's body was discovered by a "Dowser" (also one of the partners), who later turned States Evidence against Ballinger and who's testimony resulted in Ballinger's conviction for murder. Ballinger was tried, convicted, had the original verdict overturned on appeal, remanded to the lower court for retrial, then re-tried and convicted and sent to prison where he served 4 years of a 9 year sentence.

His appeal on his 2nd conviction resulted in the charges being dismissed and he was released from prison and later had his sentence exonerated. The National Registry of Exoneration's list the contributing factors for his exoneration, including: Perjury, False Testimony, and Official Misconduct.

I offered to sell Gene some gold nuggets on one occasion but he didn't want to pay 80% of spot price, saying he had a cheaper source. I also witnessed other gold transactions across the counter in his store, so he did appear to have various sources, including one old rancher who showed us a gold nugget he pulled out of his pocket and told us that he had been picking up marble sized nuggets in his front yard. The man said that he had never used a metal detector before and as long as he could pick them up off the ground, he guessed he didn't need one. :)

Yeah... Like I said Gene is a completely different story. He was a business associate of mine for several years.

Any comment on topic? Support? Suggestions?

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this could be a fun thing.  I think a good first run could be at the November campout.  I'd be happy to pay into a club like that.  I can even see this being a separate room in the forum.

My virtual search for Forrest's treasure got me in Idaho, so that could be interesting also. Not to digress, I honestly think most of these buried treasures have been found by people smart enough to keep their mouth shut and not alter their style of living too much to be noticed.  Some of the century old treasures are discovered by people long since no longer on the earth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds fun, Bob. But I no longer travel to NM much.

Reminds me of Geocaching.

I once pulled off the road near Perrysville Prison for a quick nature call. I walked behind a eucalyptus tree and stuffed into a hollow was a bag of goodies, badges, pins, shiny crap.

But having something worth while would generate some interest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Edge said:

Sounds fun, Bob. But I no longer travel to NM much.

Reminds me of Geocaching.

I once pulled off the road near Perrysville Prison for a quick nature call. I walked behind a eucalyptus tree and stuffed into a hollow was a bag of goodies, badges, pins, shiny crap.

But having something worth while would generate some interest.

We could do a virtual one on the forum. It may not be as much fun but it could be done.

I would be willing to pony up a little nugget or a $10 bill to get the first one off the ground. 

I could secretly name a treasure and a place. Maybe give that info to Skip (?) before hand as a witness. Then write some clues and a little story to go with it. Maybe answer a few simple questions on the forum as asked. Then guys could research a bit and develop an idea where they think it is. Maybe put out a clue every week for four weeks. The guy that guesses where it is and posts his correct guess first gets the prize. If no one guesses then I reveal where it was "hidden" and what my clues were. Then we figure out how to make the game better.

By the time we had $30 invested we would have it worked out.

???

 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't the granite poodle give it away?

 

Sorry, cheap shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Empirically speaking Bob, the titular topic was: Treasure Hunts? Que No? You led with,  "Many years ago I had a business associate that was very much into treasure hunting. His name was Gene Ballinger. He was another story all together.... but he ran a small newspaper in Hatch called "The Courrier" . . .

Bob, You can't just open the door and then slam it shut. The "other story" about Mr. Ballinger is the relevant lead I picked up on and responded to. That was the part that was left out, which, I believe, makes the Gene Ballinger (back story) more interesting and complete. To some people, when you do a story lead like that and then make a conspicuous comment, like, "he was another story all together" and expect it to be ignored? Huh?  Some of the readers, like myself for example, are left wondering why you said that, who the man was, something about his background, and how he operated. 

He was a TH'er, you said it yourself! I do believe that makes it relevant, sir.

And I too sir, also for many years, was a business associate of Mr. Ballinger!  I even invested in his ill-fated Y2K, stock up now before it's to late, doomsday prepper sales enterprise that he had going on in the back room of the building. (I bought an emergency wind up battery operated radio to take into the bunker with me) So, it's entirely possible you may have been selling him cheap gold, I'll give you that, but, I sir, had a long term mail delivered subscription to his wonderfully voluminous and cheap newspaper! 

Now, as to a geo-cache version of a treasure hunt . . . no thanks. I'm not interested in treasure hunting period. That's not to say they aren't fun, and I understand that people do like to do that sort of thing, all fine and good, but in consideration of the available evidence, ie, Taco Summit In Absentia on your part, I would not have the faith and confidence that it would ever happen. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Edge said:

Wouldn't the granite poodle give it away?

 

Sorry, cheap shot.

What he is trying to do to this thread is a cheap shot too so it is O.K. 

We could use your train robbery story as a basis for the first one Edge. It has all the elements of a good treasure story and we could build upon it a little. That loot could be about anywhere and all that we really need to do is pick a place where it is "hidden" and carve some word poodles pointing in that direction. 

I am asking one of the Mods to be the official referee for this. Maybe Skip or Mike Furness? They can hold the "secret location" and the rest of us can guess the location from the clues.

Within the next few days Ill start a thread and tell a tale. There will be enough info for a person to start asking questions and make some basic assumptions. I will suggest some basic ground rules and anyone can make suggestions as we go along on how we should conduct the hunt. I will answer some basic questions on the open forum so everyone participating will all have the same info to work with.

I think we should use GPS coordinates of a specific location. That way when a guy has an idea of where he thinks it is he can just go to Google Maps and plot it. It will be in a specific location like some site, some peak or other geographic spot on the map...not just out in the open country with no specific place. And since Google has that 'ground view" there may be some visual clues that you could only get if you saw the photos on Google. So that will add an element of reality to it as well.

Maybe I will go to that location and actually place an object of some kind. That way if someone wants to go and retrieve it they can. But the winner is the first one to post the correct GPS location on the thread.

The prize will be a $20 supporting membership to Nuggetshooter. If you already have a membership I will send you a little Hillsboro nugget. In the event of a tie the "hunters" will have to name the object I hid at the location.

If guys want to participate they can. If they want to pout they can. We will try one out and see if it is any fun. If we get participation we can try it again.

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice try Bob, but no cigar. Obviously, no cheap shot was intended, (by me) and I take no offense at any poodle noodling, but you did pointedly ask for my comments, and I told you what I thought. The "pout" remark is indicative of where I see this thing going (I hope I'm wrong) and for those who do choose to participate, I would certainly wish everybody a fun and rewarding time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds fun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMc,

Please get it out of your system and stop trolling this thread. You have had your say. Now PLEASE leave it alone and stop trying to make it all about you. 

If the idea does not fly then so be it. But I am going to give it a try and I would appreciate it if you would stay out of my way and let me do it. I am asking you nicely.

Let's not have conflict here.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Bob, no conflict  :89: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 8:17 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

Yeah... Like I said Gene is a completely different story. He was a business associate of mine for several years.

Any comment on topic? Support? Suggestions?

I had this thread on a 2 week diary which is coming up for a status review. I was wondering if there was an update? Did anyone submit a guess that the loot had been taken back to the trooper's barracks at Ft. Baird? Anything additional at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the idea would be fun, tried a geocashe thing some years back, but it never really took off....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I think the idea would be fun, tried a geocashe thing some years back, but it never really took off....

I think sooner or later people will start taking guesses. There was so much pessimism before I even started the contest I am not surprised that people don't know what to expect. The only comments have been to try and derail it. 

But there is a nice piece of gold for anyone who can guess correctly. And I will leave it up there for another couple months in case anyone decides to participate. Heck, it could be fun pondering what may have become of that loot. 

Here is a link for anyone who may want to take a stab at it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I think the idea would be fun, tried a geocashe thing some years back, but it never really took off....

Bill,

I decided that an actual geocache would be difficult for a lot of forum members. If they are going to travel somewhere it is going to be for gold and meteorites. That is why we decided to do a virtual hunt.

Anyone that wants to read a couple of historical accounts and a couple Nuggetshooter threads has the info they need to solve the riddle. Guesses and discussion about the treasure should be posted here.

The challenge for this group will be working together. In order to find the location guys are going to have to discuss it and take some guesses to narrow it down. Otherwise it is shooting in the dark. And unless there is discussion about it I won't give many more clues. So if guys are willing to work together toward a common goal someone is bound to get it right. Otherwise I am afraid it will be very difficult to guess the location of the loot... You would just have to get lucky with a wild guess.

We will see how it goes. I would love to do a real hunt for a prize or another virtual hunt if this is something that members enjoy. And I think once the personalities calm down a bit that members will be more willing to participate. It certainly could be a fun thing for a lot of guys if they felt more comfortable posting and kicking around ideas. 

Besides, the gold is not too shabby. It is the best shot at finding a nugget for a lot of guys that post on here. And for a whole lot less time and effort than they would have spent finding one in the field. 

 

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I think sooner or later people will start taking guesses. There was so much pessimism before I even started the contest I am not surprised that people don't know what to expect. The only comments have been to try and derail it. 

But there is a nice piece of gold for anyone who can guess correctly. And I will leave it up there for another couple months in case anyone decides to participate. Heck, it could be fun pondering what may have become of that loot. 

Here is a link for anyone who may want to take a stab at it.

Well i think you have a good idea here. I have been away on vacation, but excited to get on board with this treasure hunt, just give me some time to make a guess. Go New Mexico land of lost treasure!:4chsmu1:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, Morlock said:

There's two buried "treasures" that have never been found.

Forrest Fenn's in New Mexico and Robert Tathams in Missouri.

If you're going to do something like this, make it easy to find so you don't have  people pulling their hair out years after you give the clues.😉😉😉

Here's yet another treasure hunt which I knew nothing about until this morning.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/a-real-life-da-vinci-code-treasure-hunters-think-a/article_06a300e5-de47-5ee3-92eb-2b7b96a1f5ba.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Morlock said:

I saw the TV Special referenced in that article about 2  or 3 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...