Nugget Shooter Forums
Alwaysdirty

Hillside fine gold

I went out Sunday exploring lode mines not far from home, there is hardly any placer history here but plenty of lode. Walking across a very steep hillside I found a 20' stretch of what looked like a metal producing vein with quartz and granite host rock. I detected it with the monster and pulled out what i thought was a nail. Closer examination I realized it was a piece of natural iron, I got no other signals from this spot. It looked so juicy though that I had hopes and took a 1/2 bucket sample without classifying and just handpicked out the big pieces. I panned out three pan fulls of the loose dirt and got a nice amount of very fine gold from it, now I just need an ore crusher and drywasher. Not sure if the drywasher would catch most of the stuff this small, so tell me what you guys think.

Its hard to tell in the picture but the my pan is just littered with fines from really about a 1/3 bucket of panned dirt and a decent piece in the upper left.

IMG_4300.JPG

Edited by Alwaysdirty
  • Like 8

Way to go! But wait, natural Iron? No! It can't be. It's already been deemed to be non-existent  . . . must be tramp iron. :) I would keep checking that area with a bigger coil. Additionally, a PI with a large coil might be useful, and even a two box unit to see if you can punch down to the lode. Trenching maybe? As you probably know, it's not all that uncommon to find some placer gold down slope from lode deposits. Looks promising. 

Use a rotating tub, you can have mine, it's behind Charlie's cabin at Bill Southern's in Morristown. Safe no dust, and run it three four days, run the fines through a blue bowl.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BMc said:

Way to go! But wait, natural Iron? No! It can't be. It's already been deemed to be non-existent  . . . must be tramp iron. :) I would keep checking that area with a bigger coil. Additionally, a PI with a large coil might be useful, and even a two box unit to see if you can punch down to the lode. Trenching maybe? As you probably know, it's not all that uncommon to find some placer gold down slope from lode deposits. Looks promising. 

The gold is tiny and the monster handles this ground excellent. I think the 5" coil and raking dirt down is the way to go and it's what I will be doing this coming weekend. When I get a drywasher again that raked down dirt will be ran through it, lucky for me I can also get my Bronco within 20 yards of this spot because of its offroad capabilities now. Woot!

• Like 4

That's a lot of fines for one third bucket unclassified dirt.  See somehow if you can use mercury in your process, it will pick up all that tiny stuff.  I think that you are on to something Shea.  

Old Tom

Let's hope so Tom. I'D like to crush and pan the remainder of the half bucket and see what that holds.

• Like 1

Thats a fair amount of fine gold. With a low volume of air the dry washer should recover it. It wound depend on the cloth too.

Nice job,  finding a spot like that ....it could mean pounds of gold

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adam said:

Thats a fair amount of fine gold. With a low volume of air the dry washer should recover it. It wound depend on the cloth too.

Nice job,  finding a spot like that ....it could mean pounds of gold

Bam! Thanks adam!

On 9/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, Alwaysdirty said:

Let's hope so Tom. I'D like to crush and pan the remainder of the half bucket and see what that holds.

IIRC, you have a vacuum right???  Dig down to bedrock below the outcrop and clean it...

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

IIRC, you have a vacuum right???  Dig down to bedrock below the outcrop and clean it...

I like that idea and I do have a vacuum. Going to take samples down the hillside this weekend, bedrock is very shallow and shelf like so good spots for trapping gold. I'll post up results Sunday afternoon, hopefully the first sample wasn't just a fluke. That wouldn't be the first time though.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, Alwaysdirty said:

Not sure if the drywasher would catch most of the stuff this small, so tell me what you guys think.

Its hard to tell in the picture but the my pan is just littered with fines from really about a 1/3 bucket of panned dirt and a decent piece in the upper left.

IMG_4300.JPG

There was a guy by the name of Ray (or Roy) Roush that made a drywasher specifically for that type of gold. While I can't personally vouch for it since I never brought or used one, I did see it in action. It would have done the job on your gold...imho. But it would have required a little extra work since it had to be screened to 1/8".

I think he lived in Congress or Wickenburg and have no idea where he might be or if he's even still around.

Screening to 1/8" takes me about an hour per full five gallon bucket.  That was too slow for my tastes, I had started. but not finished a 1/8 trommel for a dry system or using 1/8" punch plate for a wet system, but never finished the idea.  I did 10 buckets that day.

Now I wonder if I had simply put a 1/8" screen over the hopper of my dry washer if I would have filled, many, many more buckets.

12 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Now I wonder if I had simply put a 1/8" screen over the hopper of my dry washer if I would have filled, many, many more buckets.

That's exactly what I did. I cut out a piece of 1/4" square wire screen and laid over the hopper. Worked like a charm. Depending on your paydirt, there may be some larger rocks, etc that hang up on the screen but it's easily removed with your hand. 1/8"screen would probably take longer but not by a lot.

If it took you an hour for a five gallon bucket, you must have been using one of those round screens that fits over buckets. Let gravity work for you. 

Round Screen over the bucket it was.  I keep thinking how many tons more of material I could have moved had I not felt like I had to use the bucket classifier for all that time.

• Like 1

Interesting and that (like Adam and others said) is pretty good gold.... Nice.

Well, there wont be anymore updates on this spot. I messed up! After thoroughly researching this area for claims with the recorders I somehow missed the easiest claims to find, patented mineral claims and this spot is within one, whoops!! Of the 8 or so sections that make up this general area there is only a few patented claims. and unfortunately for me this claim did not have any signage or claim markers. Though, I am sure, because of the age of the claim that the markers have been knocked down or overgrown with brush. But, the good thing is, before I went back out to gather more samples and get anymore excited I thought to check the Yavapai GIS mapping for patented mineral claims just in case, as I was ready to file a claim here if things kept coming out hot. Normally I check the gis first and the validity of "claim" on the GIS but just didn't think of it this time and of course find some nice gold I cant have! :grr01:

So I'll be checking the hillsides next to the claim since its all wide open, all the ground looks the same and there is quite a few prospect digs. I still have high hopes for a good find around here. Sorry for the disappointment, I feel like an idiot!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Don't feel too bad.  At least you're honest.  :)

You still might be onto something.  Keep sampling.

….and don't describe the location too much more.

I might have to take a look for myself.  :4chsmu1:

Luke

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with Luke :200:

Silence is golden bro.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Well, there wont be anymore updates on this spot. I messed up! After thoroughly researching this area for claims with the recorders I somehow missed the easiest claims to find, patented mineral claims and this spot is within one, whoops!! Of the 8 or so sections that make up this general area there is only a few patented claims. and unfortunately for me this claim did not have any signage or claim markers. Though, I am sure, because of the age of the claim that the markers have been knocked down or overgrown with brush. But, the good thing is, before I went back out to gather more samples and get anymore excited I thought to check the Yavapai GIS mapping for patented mineral claims just in case, as I was ready to file a claim here if things kept coming out hot. Normally I check the gis first and the validity of "claim" on the GIS but just didn't think of it this time and of course find some nice gold I cant have! :grr01:

So I'll be checking the hillsides next to the claim since its all wide open, all the ground looks the same and there is quite a few prospect digs. I still have high hopes for a good find around here. Sorry for the disappointment, I feel like an idiot!

Patented claims don't have markers or signs. They are no longer mining claims they are private property - like your back yard. The county can't help you but if you check the Master Title Plat and Land Matters Land Status maps you will see it's not open to prospecting, claiming or exploration.

You can see the actual boundaries by pulling the survey from the General Land Office. Since it's private property it's pretty important you know where the boundary line is.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clay said:

Patented claims don't have markers or signs. They are no longer mining claims they are private property - like your back yard. The county can't help you but if you check the Master Title Plat and Land Matters Land Status maps you will see it's not open to prospecting, claiming or exploration.

You can see the actual boundaries by pulling the survey from the General Land Office. Since it's private property it's pretty important you know where the boundary line is.

Thanks clay!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

Don't feel too bad.  At least you're honest.  :)

You still might be onto something.  Keep sampling.

….and don't describe the location too much more.

I might have to take a look for myself.  :4chsmu1:

Luke

Keep that super detector down South!

• Haha 2

what about what was left in the bucket?

11 minutes ago, adam said:

what about what was left in the bucket?

Haven't crushed it yet so I better take it back!

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Haven't crushed it yet so I better take it back!

What bucket?!? :ROFL:

• Haha 1