Nugget Shooter Forums

Green radials

After soaking a few pieces of quartz in muriatic acid, what I thought could be small radials of pyrite, are now green. Any ideas? Did the acid affect the mineral, or did it simply remove an iron oxide crust. Pics are really hard to take, it's so small. Including a before pic too. Third pic shows the color the best.

IMG_20180908_195543~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_195116~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_192215~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_195257~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_195229~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_195206~2.jpg

IMG_20180908_195155~2.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jcervay said:

An I always fuss over the small stuff lol...

May I make a few comments? 

Do you have a copy of the National Audubon Society`s field guide to North American Rocks and minerals? 

Your state may even have a huge publication of known mineral occurrences to reference. Arizona has one. It is the Holy Grail ofall Rock hounding publications specific to this state.

Also , some of your minerals may be site specific, but you never include where the mineral was collected or purchased from. More details can be a big help in identifying minerals. Or at least narrow it down a bit.

If you are really into collecting or purchasing, load up on some good reference material.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, adam said:

May I make a few comments? 

Do you have a copy of the National Audubon Society`s field guide to North American Rocks and minerals? 

Im pretty serious and I do have reference material. Books, mindat, the entire internet really...all readily available. However, to ask the particular question about if and how acid could affect a certain mineral, seemed like other people, like yourself, would be the better resource. 

I do apologise for not including the location, I forget that other people don't know that I only have time to collect locally in PA. This came from PA. Previous posts have mentioned when I have something of unknown origin, things I have bought at auction. I don't like to influence other's opinions, I've seen too many people jump on ID bandwagons in other formus. But I agree that my posts can be too vague. Forgive me?

I will check to see if there is a location specific handbook, great idea

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorta looks like olivine, but after researching wavellite, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Nice call!

Jim

Edited by Idaho Jim