Nugget Shooter Forums

So I have a cousin in Parker with an interesting story concerning the Bouse area and meteorites. 

He tells me his childhood buddy of 45 years,  helped his dad recover what they believe was a very large meteorite in a desert wash a half hour north west of Bouse. 

Apparently my cousin has camped in the area many times with this fellow and was told where the alleged stone was found in the wash. 

I'm thinking it's worth a look.

Found a link to a meteorite located in same approx area.

Wish me luck.

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2007/aug07.htm

Edited by Edge
  • Like 5

Ive hunted the Bouse meteorite strewn field a few times, with no luck. The one marked in the metbul, is not the actual location. There is a guy in quartzite at the swap meet, he is also selling  Bouse meteorites. Good luck on any finds....

Dave

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rocky said:

I wish you lots of success man!! It sounds like you have a solid game plan. Are you planning several day trips?

My cousin says it's a 30 minute drive and a bit of a hike. I'll camp give it three days first time out. Although day excursions sound good too. I have the most wonderful aunt there, spoils me.

Edited by Edge
On 9/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, DolanDave said:

Ive hunted the Bouse meteorite strewn field a few times, with no luck. The one marked in the metbul, is not the actual location. There is a guy in quartzite at the swap meet, he is also selling  Bouse meteorites. Good luck on any finds....

Dave

Yeah my cousin  mentioned the meteorite sales in Quartzite just last Saturday. I'm curious what they're going for too.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Yeah my cousin  mentioned the meteorite sales in Quartzite just last Saturday. I'm curious what they're going for too.

If you find out, let us know. I'm curious as well.

On 9/9/2018 at 4:46 PM, Billyazprospector said:

Dave whats the going rate on Bouse?

The guy sells gold, jewelry, and meteorites. He was in a yellow trailer, cannot remember his name. The Bouse he was selling was around $60, but the stone was a few grams, if I find more info, I will post...

Dave

• Like 2

I kinda have some suspicion about a couple meteorites guys have shown me they had "found". I thought they might have been BS'ing me because they got cagy about questions I asked. I got the impression they were making up stories about a stone they had purchased. 

I wondered how long it would take for a guy with a box of NWA's to fake a strewn field. I am not saying this is what that is but I had already figured that angle was a comin' if you know what I mean. 

I might just rig up a little meteorite hoax with a handful of NWA's myself. Just to see how many met hunters I can get to come to some remote location.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I kinda have some suspicion about a couple meteorites guys have shown me they had "found". I thought they might have been BS'ing me because they got cagy about questions I asked. I got the impression they were making up stories about a stone they had purchased. 

I wondered how long it would take for a guy with a box of NWA's to fake a strewn field. I am not saying this is what that is but I had already figured that angle was a comin' if you know what I mean. 

I might just rig up a little meteorite hoax with a handful of NWA's myself. Just to see how many met hunters I can get to come to some remote location.

Bob, I always wondered that myself, especially after a Tucson show, someone buys a bunch of NWA's, or just unclassified stones, and says they found a strewn field. I wish the metbul had stricter rules, such as a gps next to insitu pictures of finds made in field, ect.....

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DolanDave said:

Bob, I always wondered that myself, especially after a Tucson show, someone buys a bunch of NWA's, or just unclassified stones, and says they found a strewn field. I wish the metbul had stricter rules, such as a gps next to insitu pictures of finds made in field, ect.....

If someone wants to cheat, they'll find a way to do it. How do institute stricter rules that will prevent scams? 

Hey it happens every day with gold nuggets or an old Spanish spur. Why not meteorites.

I know guys right now that are running a "Spanish treasure" scam with nothing more than an old piece of costume jewelry and a fakey set of dowsing rods hooked up to a Honda generator. They have been making a decent living selling fake "long range gold finders" and shares in a "treasure claim" for 30 years. They can afford a better pickup than I drive and I actually have found gold. They never have.

There is a kid that bought the old Pankey ranch and he is selling "meteorite hunts". He charges guys big bucks to go out on his ranch and look for one. No mets have ever been found in the area and the ground is not really that old there but he actually has clients paying to hunt there. I hear stories about mets being found but I don't see any entries in the MetBul. I wonder if a few NWA's aren't helping push his business along a little too.

All it takes is a guy with more money than brains and a little bolide fever. Give me a handful of meteorites and I bet I could sell hunts in a cat box with a slotted spoon.

I once joked with Terry Solomon about selling guided meteorite hunts in WalMarts across the U.S.  I had seen a big Glorieta pallasite at the Wal Mart in Las Vegas, N.M. so I figured I could sell hunts for Glorieta at WalMarts across the nation. You know, take it on the road man!

You could add a handful of NWA's to this scheme and have the first chondrulaceous carbonoid ever found in the grocery aisle. You would be famous!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Haha 1
On 9/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

If you did that, I wouldn't count on selling too many legit stones from then on. The Met community is pretty small and word spreads. It might not matter to many hunters that yours was a social experiment.

19 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Anytime it becomes worth the trouble to set up a sting, microchips could be inserted into NWAs like they do it with protected cacti.

I don't know squat about meteorites, but I don't see much similarity in the pics of NWAs and the Bouse. Maybe due to time and nature in their respective regions? Bouse meteorite also has caliche cemented into it's surface. Researchers think the composition of that caliche will  help in identfying any other Bouse meteorites.

BouseL4-6.jpg

bouse-cu.jpg

15 hours ago, Rick R said:

come on does that look like it just landed on earth? I don't know about some of you guys  I think I will stick with the guys that go out and find meteorites in the fields without buying them!

I agree would be a lot more thrilling to make a discovery rather than buying one. I'm confused by your exception to the one pictured above?

Thanks for helping me out.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, Mikestang said:

I know there was speculation these were NWA 869 meteorites passed off as found in AZ, was there ever resolution to this accusation?

There is some resemblance to the NWA 869 in this pic. Here are a "few" more pics. https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=31890

NWA 869.jpg

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, CaliforniaFinder said:

Bouse is NWA 869.  Don't waste your time.  

You know that for a fact? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if true.

Weathering, petrology, everything is identical to NWA 869.  Weathering on Bouse is unlike any other stones found in the Southwest.  The stones have almost no internal oxidation, but show evidence of extreme wind polishing and chondrule corrasion.  "Bouse" stones were from an area of aeolian erosion and active dunes.  In a much more arid desert than the American Southwest.  

No one has done this kind of study on it, but I don't think there is any question that Bouse is fake.  

NWA 869 is a distinctive meteorite among the thousands of Northwest African meteorites.  It looks even more out of place among Gold Basins and Franconias.