Nugget Shooter Forums
RockScout

Yavapai County Assessor's Map

So Yavapai County has a great interactive map, that can show tremendous amounts of information, including current mining claims. I'm starting to suspect that it is showing mostly just patented claims. Some claims I have found in the field, and in 2000s era reports are not shown on the county map. Before calling the assessor's office I thought I'd ask here: Does the Yavapai county Map show all/ or just some mining claims? Thanks.

The assessors map doesn't show any mining claims. The Yavapai assessor qualifies some platted areas as "claims" so the minerals are accounted for in the valuation. Those are not actual mining claims but sometimes they are private mineral patents.

The assessor maps can be helpful but they don't show actual property boundaries, they only show taxable property. Mining claims are not taxable property so they are never on the map.

Edited by clay

Thanks for replying. That might account for what I am seeing. But the map I'm looking at shows mining claims apart from the regular property lines. Some mirror the border of the private property underneath. But it also shows other mining claims that are on national forest land.  

I called it the assessor's map because they maintain an interactive map which shows all sorts of stuff: zoning/ property lines/ district boundaries/ flood zones/ land use/ hydrology/ contour lines/ GMU boundaries/ etc etc. Including mining claims. They also maintain the online public portal to other maps like crime/ tax sale/ recreation. 

If you'd like to see the map, and the mining claim layer. Go to  http://gis.yavapai.us/v4/

zoom into at least 1:36,000 scale and then from the menu on the right select map layers> land features> mining claims

There's hundreds more active claims than the assessors office shows.  I think of them as patented claims, but Clay is much smarter than me on that.  I can see why the assessors office would track anything of value like mineral patents or anyway the people use the land so as to be able to tax it.  I consider these areas no prospecting areas for me.

To get Yavapai mining claims, go to the recorders office and search using township and range and pull each individual survey.  The county does not put these on a map.

The Yavapia recorder has on awesome online claim search.  I prefer to locate the few claims I do there, because of the PLSS search feature.

Maricopa County does not file be Township and Range, so finding claims there is nearly impossible.  What I have to do is look at what the BLM has.  I then need to search by the claim owners name in the county records, and then pay $1 to see the claim filing with the map to know the exact location.  Claims are located with the county first, so I need to go back something like three or four months.  All those claims I pull up are located in Maricopa County, and if I want to know if they are where I'm going, I pay $1.  Used to be free, but last time I could not see an unofficial copy without paying the $1. 

Yavapi is much easier.  I enter the 1 mile square township and range I'm going to, and all claims pop up, at least since the 80's.

If the claim is older than 1 Sep of the current year, I can check on the BLM website to see if it closed out.

Thank you very much. Yes, I can easily imagine the map being tax-centric. That would explain the missing claims.  Thanks for the further resources. 

Thanks again, I'm now finding the information I was looking for. It would have taken me a long time to figure that out! I'm glad I'm in Yavapai! The system is pretty slick.

Have you used the Yavapai recorders website to search mining claim documents? You can search by section/township/range, so I find a section of interest and search for mining claim location filings within it, you can see the actual paperwork filed and if lode or placer, then use the gis mapping you asked about with the section/township/range overlay with satellite imagery turned on, this makes it very easy to find claim markers in the field. As long as the claimant knows which direction north is!

Make sure to check the BLM LR2000 to see if the claims you find are active or not. If the claim owner filed with the recorders properly, the BLM amc number will be on the paper work. 

You guys want Maricopa County, Yavapai County is depleted of any gold

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/7/2018 at 4:44 PM, chrisski said:

Maricopa County does not file be Township and Range, so finding claims there is nearly impossible.  What I have to do is look at what the BLM has.  I then need to search by the claim owners name in the county records, and then pay $1 to see the claim filing with the map to know the exact location.  Claims are located with the county first, so I need to go back something like three or four months.  All those claims I pull up are located in Maricopa County, and if I want to know if they are where I'm going, I pay $1.  Used to be free, but last time I could not see an unofficial copy without paying the $1.

Chris I've seen you post that you have to pay for copies from Maricopa County before. I don't have that problem. I use the Maricopa County Recorder's website often and I get free unofficial copies of the recordings by just clicking on the pages number just above the notice "View Unofficial Documents by clicking the number above."

You can search by claim name as well as claimant name. After selecting document code "MINING CLAIM AND/OR LOCATION" in the dropdown just start typing the claim name in the "Business Name" field. As you type the claim name a dropdown list will appear with all the potential name matches. Pick your claim from the list or keep typing the full name in and click the search button.

If you are looking for assessment work documents or Intent to Hold you will have to look under different document codes. You can also leave the document code blank and get all the docs for a single claim or name. Just remember that claim names go in the "Business Name" field.

You can search by Township, Range, Section in "Business Name" too. Just type in something like T2N R2E SEC 17 and you will get all the records classified to that Section. This isn't as reliable as the Yavapai site because it relies on the person recording the doc to get the format right. Instead of the above T2N R2E SEC 17 you will find different results with TOWNSHIP 2 NORTH RANGE 2 EAST SECTION 17.

Edited by clay
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, clay said:

Chris I've seen you post that you have to pay for copies from Maricopa County before. I don't have that problem. I use the Maricopa County Recorder's website often and I get free unofficial copies of the recordings by just clicking on the pages number just above the notice "View Unofficial Documents by clicking the number above." 

You can search by claim name as well as claimant name. After selecting document code "MINING CLAIM AND/OR LOCATION" in the dropdown just start typing the claim name in the "Business Name" field. As you type the claim name a dropdown list will appear with all the potential name matches. Pick your claim from the list or keep typing the full name in and click the search button.

If you are looking for assessment work documents or Intent to Hold you will have to look under different document codes. You can also leave the document code blank and get all the docs for a single claim or name. Just remember that claim names go in the "Business Name" field.

You can search by Township, Range, Section in "Business Name" too. Just type in something like T2N R2E SEC 17 and you will get all the records classified to that Section. This isn't as reliable as the Yavapai site because it relies on the person recording the doc to get the format right. Instead of the above T2N R2E SEC 17 you will find different results with TOWNSHIP 2 NORTH RANGE 2 EAST SECTION 17.

Thanks Clay.  I was unaware of the other search options.  As far as not paying for the copy, I believe I missed a button somewhere if you're able to download unofficial copies for free.  I make mistakes, or opportunities for learning quite often. 

Now that its cooling down, time for some more research that will result in a couple of camping trips.

• Like 3