Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BMc

WHEN WHEEL GUNS WERE KING!

The Model 19 .357 Magnum K Frame Revolver was a favorite of Law Enforcement and civilian shooting aficionados alike. The K frame was lighter and considered easier to carry than the heavier N Frame .357 models, like the original mod 27 .357 and the Mod 28 Highway Patrolman. Although all of the S&W .357 revolvers had a tremendous following among police officers in the 60's and 70's, as did Colt handguns, (NM State Police carried the Colt Trooper .357 in the mid to late 60's), the Mod 19 was the duty weapon that I saw show up most, on the street and in PPC (Police Pistol Competition) matches. A .357 Mag Revolver, paired with speed loaders and up to 1,000 rounds a month practice at the range, made for a formidable law enforcement capability on the street.

6 inch S&W Mod 19 .357 Magnum with custom medium heavy barrel, target hammer, target trigger and sights, and Goncalvo Alves grips. 1975 Police Academy Top Gun Trophy. (Polaroid film)

S&W Mod 19, Top Gun Trophy 1975.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Terry,

Look-um like it got some bite too. Nice! (for a Colt) :) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BMc said:

Hey Terry,

Look-um like it got some bite too. Nice! (for a Colt) :) 

Yeah, Colts are just an S&W with their thong on backwards. Nice guns for guys who drive Jeeps and frequent the gym. 

Those Pachmayers are narrow at the back and hurt my hand with full house rounds. Nice, durable grips but I come out of the holster all sideways with them. I like fat, wide stocks on a handgun.

But yeah, it is allright for a parade. Or ballroom dancing. :)

Nice piece Terry! Just jerking your chain a bit. Everyone loves a gun with My Little Pony on the side. :laught16:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 3

Here is my favorite iron. Got it from Adam a few years ago.:thumbsupanim

HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg

Yeppers. Billy be doin' it righteous. Nice bluing, when you gonna shoot it?

• Like 1

Had it out a few times for the tourists. Kicks like a mule.:)

• Like 1

You guys are all right to love the .357 ... BUT I do love my S&W 629 Classic .44 magnum.

SW 629 Classic .44 mag.jpg

• Like 5

Very Nice Gun!: Technically Mike, that would be a wheeled carriage gun, but you went ahead and made my day! I never owned a stainless version, but long before, "Dirty Harry" I had a couple of Mod 29's after I worked my way up from the Ruger old style Black Hawk and then the Ruger Super Black Hawk .44 magnums. Custom grips of some kind are a must IMO, (especially on the Ruger's). I added Pachmayr rubber grips to my .44's. Before the Houge's came out I believe. Sure made a difference. The grips on my first .44 Magnum, sold by Herter's, looked like something between a Bisley and the old Peacemaker design. A buddy and I pitched in $30.00 apiece (including shipping) and ordered a Herter's .44 Mag out of their mail order catalog, (before the 1968 Gun Control Act), and the punishment soon began. We got used to it with the stock grips, but couldn't keep the screws in it due to the heavy recoil, until we discovered LocTite. It shot OK, but was aesthetically challenged, you might say and had a gruesome front sight . . . (see photo) Herter's also came out with their Ford Edsel supercharged wildcat version of the .44 magnum called the .401 Power Mag! Hyped it like crazy, similar to what Ford did with the Edsel, and for whatever reason, it never really took off. With the help of Elmer Kieth and others, the .44 Mag cartridge , the S&W Mod 29 and the Ruger Black Hawks left most of the competition at the gate.

HERTER'S .44 MAG.PNG

• Like 2

WOW! Look at that blade for a front sight! BTW why the 'carriage' in the wheeled carriage gun? Never heard that term before.

1. a wheeled support for a piece of artillery. :D

It's a Howitzer Mike... 

I like the full lug on that weapon. All my faves are 6" with the full lug. I wish my 6" Mod 29 had it. The lug makes the front forward balance superb. It points perfectly when your arm fully extends and the extra weight carries the gun straight out. That is a true combat revolver. 

I love my 4" for drawing and for carrying. But I like the extra sight plane and weight up front as well as the lessened noise of the 6" for all around shooting. And since the .44 Mag is so darn versatile you can do just about anything from plinking bottles to shooting the tracks off excavators with it. 

Beautiful piece Mike!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Thanks 1

Bob ...Thanks! ... and absolutely correct ... that lug makes her a heavy gun overall until you shoot it and the barrel falls right back on target! This gun replaced my Python .357 about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Heres my wheel gun, it has two wheels. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

gatling.jpeg

• Like 4

The original mini-gun. I saw one of these while at a gathering at a friend's house in the Seattle area several years ago. It had a brass coloration, and was in new condition. Until then,  I wasn't aware that a private citizen could own a piece like this with an FFL. 

You don't need a ffl, to own one of these, they are not an automatic, they are hand crank, plus they are an antuiqe weapon. Grubstake

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grubstake said:

You don't need a ffl, to own one of these, they are not an automatic, they are hand crank, plus they are an antuiqe weapon. Grubstake

Makes sense. He also had a .30 cal water cooled Browning MG, which is probably why he had the FFL. Probably a tax stamp as well. Not sure.

Auto weapons, require a class 3 ffl. Grubstake

Edited by grubstake

On 9/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, Terry Soloman said:

Here is my favorite iron. Got it from Adam a few years ago.:thumbsupanim

HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg

I have that in a 3 screw, mother of pearl grips.

• Like 2