Nugget Shooter Forums

S&W Revolvers

I bet a bunch of guys here work up a lather over old school handguns (I know I do). I thought if I posted a photo you guys might get a kick out of it. 

A buddy of mine has given me several nice guns over the years. Today he brought over another one.

DSCN0383.JPG

The lower gun is a Model 27 S&W in .357 magnum. This was his grandfather's carry weapon with the New Mexico State Police. He tells me he bought it in 1935 or '36. It is one of the very first .357 Magnums ever produced. It needs bluing badly but it is tight and in great shape. All it needs is some TLC.

The one on the top is a stainless S&W Mod 27 in .44 mag. He gave it to me several years ago with the Savage 30-06 rifle from my other post. It is my go-to gun these days. It is just a dream to shoot with reasonably powered hand loads. And even with low powered magnum loads it has enough power to stop a diesel truck in its tracks. It is truly an awesome handgun.

I will probably never shoot that old timer. I bet it really barks with magnum rounds in it. I'm going to clean it up really good and put it out to pasture.

Anyhoo, here are a couple of the sweet weapons this guy has laid on me. I hope they make you grin!

Boom, bang and pow,

Bob

• Like 8

Nice revolvers Bob.  :cowboypistol:

Here's a slightly newer model 19-3 in .357 Magnum.  It is my father's service weapon from the late 70's.  It could use some bluing, but that certainly doesn't affect the way it shoots.  This is my 'go-to' if 'home defense' is required.  My wife also shoots this gun proficiently.  :)

Enjoy.....

20180903_181652 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Very nice Luke J.! Target trigger and hammer and original sights and grips. That was my favorite carry revolver in uniform when I drove a Black and White in the Oakland Bay Area, mid to late 70's.  I wore it in a Hoyt break front clam shell black basket weave holster. Very quick and smooth.  My plain clothes and off duty carry was the 2 and 1/2 inch version of this S&W K Frame Mod 19.  The short barrel version was a little heavy for OD carry but it's accuracy proved it's worth. I also carried a 2 1/2 Colt Python for awhile, after I saw Bullit, with Steve McQueen,  but I preferred the Mod 19. Thanks for sharing, and regards to your Dad!

• Thanks 1

Nice guns and nice display, Bob! You sure lured me in on those. One minor correction, if I may;  I believe the top S&W is a model 629 since S&W didn't make a Mod 27 .44 Magnum. The blued version was a mod 29, of course. That original .Mod 27 .357 and really, all the N Frame Revolvers, even the mod 28 Highway Patrolman (despite the dull finish), were serious pieces of hardware. I loved them all, for their precision workmanship, like a fine Swiss watch, and for the way they shot. Great to see them, Thanks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BMc said:

Nice guns and nice display, Bob! You sure lured me in on those. One minor correction, if I may;  I believe the top S&W is a model 629 since S&W didn't make a Mod 27 .44 Magnum. The blued version was a mod 29, of course. That original .Mod 27 .357 and really, all the N Frame Revolvers, even the mod 28 Highway Patrolman (despite the dull finish), were serious pieces of hardware. I loved them all, for their precision workmanship, like a fine Swiss watch, and for the way they shot. Great to see them, Thanks.

Yeah 29 and not 27. I can't see what I am typing any more and spell check is worthless on numbers. Oh well. 

I was always a big fan of the 586 and 517 with the 6" barrel (Or whatever fraction it is... Just to save you the trouble of correcting me.). They were in almost every respect identical. I have a matching pair that I have shot since I was a young man. You could get lots of cheap practice with the 517 and then switch to the 586 and never know you were shooting a different gun. 

Both have been shot so much they need an overhaul. The 517 is so far out of time it will leave half bullets in the forcing cone. The 586 will single action with no problem but skips a lot in double. I am going to send them back to S&W and get them rebuilt. The ratchet mechanisms have no shape at all left to them and they need new cylinders and probably barrels too. S&W does a fantastic job for about half the price of a new pistol.

I bet I have 50,000 rounds through that 517! Probably more. I will shoot a hundred rounds in an afternoon and have done that regularly for 30 years. It is finally so tired that I quit shooting it last year. It could light matches and shoot asprin tablets for years but has trouble getting a blob of lead past the muzzle nowdays.

I will take a couple of photos of them this afternoon and post here. They are not much to look at but they represent years and miles and decades of steady practice. I retired them for the .44 but I really look forward to getting the 517 rebuilt and back into action. Maybe this winter I can afford to send it back to the Republic of Smith and Wessonia for refurbishment.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Yes sir! I always like the 517's myself. :89:  And that shaved metal from a misaligned cylinder can really smart when it smacks you in the side of the face. Turns out, you're the only guy other than Bill Jordan that I ever knew of, that could shoot aspirin tablets (placed on the back of the hand, draw and shoot them before they hit the floor) That's some good shootin' amigo! (notice I didn't say Primo) :) Didn't want to offend you.

I don't shoot them out of the air. I shoot them off cactus needles. But thanks!

And the 517 was the model 17 with a full underlug like the 586 in case you are wondering. It is a blued six shot .22 with the full underlug. Not a 10 shot stainless like the 617. Not a blued six shot without the underlug like the early 17.

Here is the 517 and the 586. I call them El Marro and La Martilla. Either one is pretty slick and fast... or was in days gone by. La Martilla is responsible for a couple pairs of soiled boxers. Thank god that is as bad as it ever got. Anyhoo, they got me this far in a hungry world. I love 'em.

DSCN0401.JPG

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

Very Cool Indeedie! Yeah, I was wondering,about the 517, since I didn't recognize the numerical designation. The old K-22 is about as far up the ladder on S&W rim fires that I ever got. Shot a lot of semi-wads for practice and dry fired on empty brass a lot in the house for muscle memory training.

I hear you on the close call. I had a few myself on the job. One in particular, a drug dealer/ex con was holding another ddec at gunpoint (.30 carbine/banana clip) in a dark alley way with the gun guy having his back to me at 15' distance, both high on heroin, ignoring commands to put down the gun etc. The goof in front was digging through a trash can for a beer bottle or something to use as a weapon and it was just a matter of seconds before he found it and got shot. I cocked my 6" Mod 19 loaded with .38 Hi Speed, 125 gr JHP, and held 1 inch to the right of his left shoulder blade, still yelling at him.

Without any warning, he whirled around on me with the rifle still up to his shoulder and hit the bolt/slide . . .  I touched the trigger to fire, but in that last split second, I saw that his turning movement was continuing on past me and he kept hitting the bolt, ejecting rounds out onto the ground . . . I de-cocked my revolver by lowering the hammer on the web area between my index finger and thumb, so the sweat and adrenaline wouldn't cause me to slip off the hammer.

Even when they were bought and paid for, we never wanted to use lethal force unless there was no other alternative. Risky business.

• Like 1

One of the best. The 125 grain JHP in full load is too, as previously stated on the forum. Fast, flat and lethal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nugget108 said:

I pack the nickel 586 with the 4 inch barrel. I love that gun. The .357 is a great round.

Yeah the 586 is probably the sweetest revolver on the planet.  And the .357 and the .44 are so versatile that you really don't need anything else. You can shoot .38's for practice (or .44 Special) and hardly need ear protection. Then load them up hot and shoot the outriggers off a backhoe just for fun. 

We went out tonight and burned some powder through the .44 and a Taurus .357. Drove about 40 miles of trail and shot every beer bottle along the way. I have glass grit in my teeth from smashing so many bottles. Musta shot 50 rounds out of the .44 and a 100 from the Taurus. But since we were shooting handloads loaded to about 800 fps. my ears are fine and my hand is not numb and weak. Not to mention our handloads only cost about .25 per round. That .44 can spit a dollar out of the barrel every time you pull the trigger if you are buying factory stuff!

You can really get good with a handgun you can afford to shoot and that is pleasant to shoot. A sweet revolver like a 586 that you can feed inexpensive .38 practice rounds is the perfect weapon. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 2

The original S&W .357 Magnum. I never saw one in person but I'm sure it's a nice collectable, not to mention the sentimental value. Something memorable to leave for the next generation.