Nugget Shooter Forums

Need help with choosing a detector

As a newbie I can honestly say I am almost overwhelmed with the selections of detectors out there. Not only the manufactures, but the sub categories for each brand. Then there are which headphones to get. And others suggesting an audio amplifier. And so forth.

I'm specifically interested in gold hunting and have narrowed my selection to either a minelab, or whites. Preferably used ( a cash thing ) .

Can anyone offer some suggestions to help with my dilemma. I know many of you have been in my shoes.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply.

Pat    

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Patrick in Havasu said:

Minelab, without a doubt .

Either a Monster or an SDC.  :head:

Save yourself some time, spend the money and enjoy yourself.

Good Luck !!  :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Gold Monster is you are hunting nuggets, watch some of nugget shooters videos on you tube and you will see the monster in action

You can always go on the Nugget Shooter Store site and just give him a call.....best way to talk to him.

Yes, Patrick, most likely, many or most of us were at one time in a similar situation. Nugget hunting can have a pretty steep learning curve. But it doesn't necessarily have to be, since you learn as you go, incrementally, with any detector.  As you know detector selection is just one of many decisions you will need to make.  "Hot rock" or hot ground is a common issue for most gold detectors. If you had already mastered the basic principles of metal detecting and and nugget hunting, I would have highly recommended that you get a Minelab Pulse Induction detector.  They are expensive but most owners believe they are worth it. I am one of them. Looking back 25 years or so, I wish I had started using one, sooner than I did, because I could have taken the money I spent on VLF units, coils and accessories and paid cash for a top of the line PI machine.  And still have been money ahead.  I would have  had more gold to show for it as well. But VLF units do have their place, especially the newer multi-frequency units such as the Gold Monster and others.
 Realistically, in a tight economy,  gold hunters start with whatever detector they can afford and what appeals to them. Many of the most successful nugget hunters started with a basic model of a gold specific machine  in the familiar brands; White's, Fisher's, etc. Quite a few never changed, because they mastered their detectors and equally as important, if not more so, they knew how to find gold. For a nominal  investment, a good used one is still not a bad place to start, in my opinion.
Follow up on that phone call suggestion to Bill. 

• Like 1

Patrick: There never has been a metal detector invented that can find gold all by itself.  The ultimate responsibility rests on the shoulders of the eProspector.  There is no "one size fits all" solution because we are all different.  Since monetary expense is important to you, then Fred's breakdown of the general cost categories is spot on -- a good guide to start with.  After gaining some actual experience by logging a substantial number of hours, days and weeks, most folks will be in a better position to decide whether or not to ramp up to the next cost level.

Another thing:  An important factor to consider before making future purchase decisions is your own internal passion index.  Some of us pursue interests because they are a means to an end.  Some of us pursue them as ends in themselves.  Some of us (probably most of us) have a combination of motives.  Finding that first eNugget will make an emotional impression on you.  And so will the second, the third, etc.  Each will carry with it an emotional charge that will fuel your passion.  On the other hand the actual monetary value of your finds will enable you to make a cost/benefit businesslike judgement.  At some point you will know in your heart of hearts how important, when balanced against the other passions and responsibilities in your life, electronic nugget prospecting (nugget shooting) is to you.

Good luck to you Patrick.  From time to time keep us in the loop as to how the adventure is proceeding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On September 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Micro Nugget said:

Patrick: There never has been a metal detector invented that can find gold all by itself.  The ultimate responsibility rests on the shoulders of the eProspector.   

Yeah, but we can dream.  We can dream :)  You would be a very rich person if you could do this one thing.  Funny when you think about it.  Technology is good, but there is room for improvement and when that barrier is broken, watch out.  We'll be talking about the days when you couldn't tell gold from a bullet in the ground.

Anyways, back to reality.  Pat, my recommendation is definitely to use a gold detector if you are hunting for gold.  So then you have VLF or PI or ZVT to choose.  Well I went PI (GPX5000) at first and to be honest, that was a pretty hard way to go IMO.  Just because  it detects most gold larger than 1/4 gram (in general)    The trouble is, I have found there is a lot more smaller gold out there (at least in quantity).  So if you get a detector that can see really small gold, maybe you find 50 pieces of gold that are only a grain or two in size.  But you learn more areas and therefore more indicators.  I say this because I have seen buddies of mine who learned much faster than me because they were getting little pieces everywhere that my machine could not see.    So my path was 705 Xterra (more a multiuse detector), then GPX 5000, then GPZ7000, and then GM1000.  If I had it to do over again, I would start with the SDC and then get a GPX5000.  Or start with the GM1000 and then go GPX5000.  

But everyone has their style of learning.  That was just my progression and therefore my recommendation.  

And heed Martin's wise words (below) as I truly believe "balance"  is the true challenge of nugget hunting ... but I would replace the words "fuel your passion" with "sink it's hooks into you" .  I truly believe in gold fever.

On September 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Micro Nugget said:

Finding that first eNugget will make an emotional impression on you.  And so will the second, the third, etc.  Each will carry with it an emotional charge that will fuel your passion.  On the other hand the actual monetary value of your finds will enable you to make a cost/benefit businesslike judgement.  At some point you will know in your heart of hearts how important, when balanced against the other passions and responsibilities in your life, electronic nugget prospecting (nugget shooting) is to you.

Good luck, Pat. 

• Like 2

Good Post and thought process Andyy ... I for one knowing what I know now and if starting anew would get the GM1000 Gold Monster first and then a GPX5000 or GPX4500 ... The GPZ7000 is a great machine but so far has been a bit of a let down for me ... probably because of the areas I hunt have mostly 'micro' gold! I got caught up in the hype of the machine and just had to buy it ... and that is when it first came out at $9,999.00. Don't get me wrong ... It has found me some gold but not nearly as much as the Monster has found me.

• Like 3
On 9/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, Patrick T. said:

Thank you all for your input. Living in Goodyear, I'm close to the wickenburg area, thus Hot rock . I sent Bill an email 7-10 days ago, but no response. probably hit his spam. 

I'll try again. 

Again thanks, Pat

Never saw an email.... Sorry, 623-910-0345

• Like 1