Nugget Shooter Forums
Rocky

Huge day for me ladies and gents!!!!!

I just going to put this here and I have to paint my brother's house today so unfortunately I won't be able to respond much till later but this is the most exciting day of my life this is legitimately the first find that I can say is the real deal but it does need classification but wow I have a little story to tell you guys but that won't be till later. I couldn't think of a better group to share this with though.IMAG3255.jpg

IMAG3258.jpg

IMAG3256.jpg

IMAG3259.jpg

IMAG3265.jpg

IMAG3269.jpg

IMAG3270.jpg

15359027750764012233418663940354.jpg

• Like 2

You sure that’s a meteorite? Sharp edges, no fusion crust, and no distinct shape 😜

nice find. Looks like a low petrographic grade and a chunker at that! 👍 excited to hear the story 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, munroney said:

You sure that’s a meteorite? Sharp edges, no fusion crust, and no distinct shape 😜

nice find. Looks like a low petrographic grade and a chunker at that! 👍 excited to hear the story 

Munroney I'm glad to see you're here to see this man!!! It's really nice. Today is a good day!!

Edited by Rocky

OH, Bob...sarcastic, perhaps...

I hate to be a bubble-popper...but, I have serious doubts.

I do hope I am completely wrong.

fred

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fredmason said:

OH, Bob...sarcastic, perhaps...

I hate to be a bubble-popper...but, I have serious doubts.

I do hope I am completely wrong.

fred

Picture 6 Fred chondrules galore!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

What an awesome find! No doubt about that one huh? It has it all.

I have no doubt Bod, I select wisely and this was a good choice. It has it all!!  I wouldnt stake my name on a claim unless it was absolutely true. 

Sweet! Of course it's real, it has "Space Matter" printed right on it.

It's cubic, It looks like a fresh FC6 cinnabar colored diamond fall to me. Those are rare.

Did you see it fall?

Was there a fire?

Have you cut a window?

Rub it on your toilet!

Who's the hairy girl holding it in the picture?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by clay
  • Haha 2

So I've been dragging the wife and kid out to my favorite hiking grounds for just regular hikes. Well my wife kindly let me use her backpack for the hike so I can puck up rocks as I go (believe me I didn't ask permission). So out of respect for her backpack I put bags inside to throw my finds in as we go. Well on a particular hill side I threw this baby in. I knew it looked good but it literally sat inside the bag for and couple weeks till today when I said to myself I have to clean that rock and check it out. Well today is that day I reached into that stop and shop bag, went to the kitchen sink and washed this rock off to find its inner beauty. Beautiful she is,  packed with chondrules. Now we need to figure out if she can still fly!!!

IMAG3280.jpg

IMAG3281.jpg

IMAG3282.jpg

IMAG3283.jpg

• Like 1

Pic 6 looks like some breccia material I see in the desert in southern AZ?:idunno:Maybe I should go back and pick that stuff up? :89:

I hope the best for you, but I've seen piles of similar rock near where I live. Maybe I'm missing something in the pics? Thanks for posting and keep us in the loop.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, clay said:

Sweet! Of course it's real, it has "Space Matter" printed right on it.

It's cubic, It looks like a fresh FC6 cinnabar colored diamond fall to me. Those are rare.

Did you see it fall?

Was there a fire?

Have you cut a window?

Rub it on your toilet!

Who's the hairy girl holding it in the picture?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Clay I've spent alot of time on the subject matter meteorites. I coined the name "space matter" which I'm proud of. Please don't be little it bro. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Pic 6 looks like some breccia material I see in the desert in southern AZ?:idunno:Maybe I should go back and pick that stuff up? :89:

I hope the best for you, but I've seen piles of similar rock near where I live. Maybe I'm missing something in the pics? Thanks for posting and keep us in the loop.

Desert it is not a clear enough image apparently. Maybe you should go pick it up and waste your time like you are wasting my time. I dedicate serious time to this hobby and you want to make it a joke. Good for you man.

Edited by Rocky

Did you purchase from Jimale ?   Seriously, I would walk right by that rock and not even think about it... Then again, I dont know anything about meteorites

Edited by adam
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

This is a breccia, you are probably mistaken metamorphic rock for breccia. 

IMAG3079.jpg

Instruction from Bill Peters who knows what he's talking about:

"Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s basalt. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center or similar center."

billpeters

Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

Instruction from Bill Peters who knows what he's talking about:

"Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s basalt. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center or similar center."

billpeters

Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron were is your skill, why isn't this a meteorite same to clay, same to Adam.

14 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Desert it is not a clear enough image apparently. Maybe you should go pick it up and waste your time like you are wasting my time. I dedicate serious time to this hobby and you want to make it a joke. Good for you man.

Not trying to be harsh on ya. Just you posted pics of a ordinary looking iron stained rock. There are many gossans where I live and there are rocks that look just like this all over. You will have to present some better evidence. Or maybe I'm walking over many strewn fields and not knowing what Im looking at?  

• Like 2

Congratulations on the find! Looking forward to its confirmation and  classification.

L6-BUNKER HILL  KANSAS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BMc said:

Congratulations on the find! Looking forward to its confirmation and  classification.

L6-BUNKER HILL  KANSAS.jpg

L-6 BUNKER HILL KANSAS

• Like 2

I’m actually blown away by the amount of people doubting this one. If everyone here wants to ridicule rocky for finding an amazing meteorite, I’ve had about enough of this forum. Amateurs 🙄 Again, beauty find Rocky and let this be a lesson-Put a window in immediately, even if you have to lie to your wife and tell her you have explosive diaharreah so you can sneak off and file that window  😂 Nice work!

by the way, judging from the shape and degree of weathering, likely there are small fragments nearby that have weathered off. If I were you, I would return to the spot and get on my hands and knees. Depending on the terrain, drag a big magnet or use a noodle strainer to separate the sand/dirt then run the magnet over. Worked like a charm for one of my finds and resulted in hundreds of gram-5 gram pieces

Edited by munroney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, munroney said:

I’m actually blown away by the amount of people doubting this one. If everyone here wants to ridicule rocky for finding an amazing meteorite, I’ve had about enough of this forum. Amateurs 🙄 Again, beauty find Rocky and let this be a lesson-Put a window in immediately, even if you have to lie to your wife and tell her you have explosive diaharreah so you can sneak off and file that window  😂 Nice work!

Munroney,

What are the identifying features you see in this possible meteorite? Like Adam posted we see very similar stuff out in the desert southwest especially near iron deposits. I dont think anyone was ridiculing Rocky anymore that anyone else who posts possible meteorites. Posting on a forum invites peer review and Rocky and others have to defend their possible space rocks. For example the meteorite skash found recently looked very convincing and some well known meteorite hunters agreed with his supporting evidence (skash's post has been deleted mysteriously though??). All I'm asking is what is the supporting evidence that this is a meteorite?          

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Uncle Ron were is your skill, why isn't this a meteorite same to clay, same to Adam. 

:rolleyes:There are very experienced people here, including me, trying to help you ... You're a young man with no wisdom and you are making a fool out of yourself among people who know what they are talking about ... Everyone, even  BB was trying to help you and be gentle on you... Obviously a waste of our time and advice...Over and out, Boy.  Unc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Munroney,

What are the identifying features you see in this possible meteorite? Like Adam posted we see very similar stuff out in the desert southwest especially near iron deposits. I dont think anyone was ridiculing Rocky anymore that anyone else who posts possible meteorites. Posting on a forum invites peer review and Rocky and others have to defend their possible space rocks. For example the meteorite skash found recently looked very convincing and some well known meteorite hunters agreed with his supporting evidence (skash's post has been deleted mysteriously though??). All I'm asking is what is the supporting evidence that this is a meteorite?          

I don’t agree when people dismiss a suspect without looking inside, for this very reason. The window that rocky filed clearly shows dozens of chondrules. A better polish would define these a little better. Also, you can see a ring around the outside of the window. This occurs when a meteorite starts to oxidize and happens from the outside in as water encroaches.  This is no doubt a meteorite and if you don’t believe it, that’s ok, but you’ll just keep walking over them 😂6BBEC012-A2E3-4740-BC53-A50A2F4C6A5A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Uncle Ron said:

:rolleyes:There are very experienced people here, including me, trying to help you ... You're a young man with no wisdom and you are making a fool out of yourself among people who know what they are talking about ... Everyone, even  BB was trying to help you and be gentle on you... Obviously a waste of our time and advice...Over and out, Boy.  Unc

Clearly there are very few experienced people here-Rocky being one.  Maybe it’s the young gung-ho whipper snappers that come up with finds like these because they keep an open mind unlike the oldtimers who are too darn stubborn to learn anything new. You know what they say, can’t teach an old dog new tricks 😂

Edited by Au Seeker
To remove unnecessary content/comment
  • Like 1

First off Rocky, I'm rooting for you.  :thumbsupanim

I hope that it's all you want it to be.  You have a far greater knowledge on the subject than I do, so I'll trust your instincts.

With that being said, my first inclination was that it looks like a lot of rocks I see all the time.  Adam and Desertpilot said what I was thinking.

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 1