Nugget Shooter Forums

Between my boot tip and coil!

Sonny

It happened so fast the only thing I could do was stop and push the GPZ coil down and take a breath. I thought to myself “What the heck was that a snake and if so what kind?” I always swing the coil and listen for a target while simultaneously scanning the terrain to look for meteorites Etc. while wearing my headphones. When I’m hunting in a brushy wash I move real slow and try to avoid tight areas and always put the coil in the blind areas or make a wide  berth just on the chance and snake could be chilling in the shade. Oh and by the way my snake chaps I keep them in my truck just in case I need them!:stupidrb:.Ok back to the snake under my coil and part way in a bush.

From my quick observation the tail had no buttons  and was white and black striped and the color kinda looked  like a Western diamond back. I felt comfortable with the situation because my coil was holding the snake now and I could just step back and look into the bush to figure out what kind of snake I had just captured. As I looked I could see the diamond shaped pattern On its back. Yep I thought, no dought it’s a rattle snake ...crap. At this point I decided to look back and step away from the brush and let my new reptilian friend go on his way. Thank God  the temperature was still cool and the rattle snake was sluggish. He also had no buttons on his tail and if he did I could not hear him due to my headphones and the chatter of the detector. I was still able to snake a couple nuggets 1.29g, .82g  and a small metal star.

B8DA84C7-1C76-4323-9874-64980BF015B3.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice gold! We're coming up on little snake season; Sept and Oct, the 9-12  inchers seem to be the most prevalent around here. They like to hide under anything that absorbs heat in the day time. I have at least one every year in my yard. The last one was coiled up under an old cast iron skillet when I bent over to pick up the skillet and came face to face with it . . . I'm not sure who was the most startled, me or him. :th_panic:

• Like 2

If you were in Gold basin it was probably a western diamondback, if you were where I saw you last, it most likely was a Panamint Speckled rattlesnake. Great looking nuggets!! 

Chris

• Like 2

Oh and by the way my snake chaps I keep them in my truck just in case I need them! :stupidrb:

3:45 A.M. LUCKILY the coffees still brewing or I'd have spilt it on my newly cleaned keyboard !  I hunted just like that for 6 OR 8 SEASONS until 2 close calls within a short time.
Yup, I wear em more often nowadays.
Great beepin with the "Z" Sonny keep em coming.:goodpost:

• Like 1

Nice gold catch, Sonny.  I am glad you are ok with that snake.  And it's a little funny you mention snakes.  I was out Sunday night, walking the detector.  It's about 3am and I'm crossing to the next wash on my list.  I was near the bottom of the wash as I am dropping down in and stop with my foot in the air.  There was a coil right where I was going to step.  It was a little one and would never have made it through my boots and snake guards, but it got my adrenaline going.  It was only about 10" and had no rattles, yet.  Just a pretty little coon tail.  Generally, I run into them at first light.  But never at night.  That was a first.  .

Edited by Andyy

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

Nice gold catch, Sonny.  I am glad you are ok with that snake.  And it's a little funny you mention snakes.  I was out Sunday night, walking the detector.  It's about 3am and I'm crossing to the next wash on my list.  I was near the bottom of the wash as I am dropping down in and stop with my foot in the air.  There was a coil right where I was going to step.  It was a little one and would never have made it through my boots and snake guards, but it got my adrenaline going.  It was only about 10" and had no rattles, yet.  Just a pretty little coon tail.  Generally, I run into them at first light.  But never at night.  That was a first.  .

"The snakes crawl at night . . . that's what they say . ."

"I've spent most of my life 4 Wheelin'. The rest, I just wasted"

I almost got bit yesterday....My brother had piled some junk against the fence and while I was being careful while picking it up, I wasn't thinking when I opened the cardboard box that had the ends folded to keep the packing paper inside....:inocent:  Well, I reached in and started to pull the paper out, when a little one started slithering out of the paper..:yikes:

• wow 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice gold!!   Lucky encounter, and good thinking using the tools you had at your disposal!  Must be the fire fighter mentality! Detector has many uses, just like the Halligan.