Nugget Shooter Forums

STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER-A DAYS WAGE FOR A MINER IN 1930

BMc

I found this 1930 Standing Liberty Quarter while nugget shooting in a small saddle overlooking Placerita creek near Wagoner, AZ,  a little ways down the road from Pat Whitehead's ranch. It was tarnished, naturally, being silver, but looked to be in pristine condition showing little or no wear.  I looked up miner's wages for Placerita Creek in 1930, which was the first year of the Great Depression. They were paid .25 cents a day, so the person who lost the quarter,  lost a day's pay. Later that day, I stopped in at JW's Prospecting Supplies in Prescott Valley and showed J.W. the quarter and without saying anything, he immediately pulled out some Mercury and started melted it onto the coin to make it shiny and new looking. Initially, I was a little upset about that because I thought everyone knew you're not supposed to alter a coins appearance because it lowers the value. At that point however; I wasn't worrying about value since everyone in the store including myself, one customer, and Scott Johnson an employee, had all run out the back door to trying to avoid the Mercury fumes. :yikes:  After a few minutes, we came back inside and sure enough, the quarter looked freshly minted. 

STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER.JPG

REVERSE.JPG

• Like 5
  • well done 1

LABOR DAY TRIBUTE-TO THE WORKING MAN! It seemed fitting to post this find as a Labor Day tribute to the hard working men and women that the holiday was created to honor. 

And to all the miners, prospectors and gold hunters who venture forth in pursuit of their golden dreams:  May your pokes always be full,  and may your pockets never have holes in them! 

• Like 2

Yep i have found 2 and they were so smooth, you could barely make out what it was. Thats a nice one for sure.

• Like 1

Really nice find. Congrats.

I found a 1934 Peace Dollar in excellent condition while dredging Oak Creek in the Bradshaw's. I often wonder who dropped it. Must have been worth a lot back in the day.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Bump Post!

On the topic of miner's wages in the Great Depression: No doubt money was tight but there was apparently enough money in circulation to pay the miner who lost this quarter for a days pay. It was found in a small cut or saddle overlooking the creek.