Nugget Shooter Forums

Rather be lucky than good!

So.....this happened this morning. Was out in my driveway this morning picking up dog poop and right next where my dog likes to go is this. It's as fresh as the poop I was picking up. I'll be doing a bit more looking around my property needless to say.

20180827_091919_resized.jpg

20180827_091617_resized.jpg

20180827_091612_resized.jpg

I can see by the photos you need to take your dog to a vet immediately! :)

Is that a cavity on the left in the shadows?  Is it magnetic? It doesn't look like a meteorite to me with that cavity... just sayin'. :idunno:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes that's a cavity caused by me using my belt sander to grind a window in it. I use that instead of a file. As soon as I put in on the belt that cavity opened up. Yes it's highly magnetic and you can see the iron nickel in it where I ground it. The cavity was not in it when I found it. The pics are after I opened the window, I put it back on the ground where I found it to give a perspective of what it looked like. It kind of stood out like a sore thump. Not much else around it but sand.

Theres LOADS of that type "stone/rock" in yer area and the basin.
Unless my eyes aren't seeing the photo correctly.
I call it magnetite, that may not be the "correct" name but I'm far from politically correct anyway.
It should "snap" to a good quality magnet.
Don't "lose yer cool"  their out there , but not that one !
Heres some and 1 weathered out with some dirty quartz still attached. I have seen pieces as big as basketballs in yer area.
And YES very heavy.

WP_20180827_004.jpg

WP_20180827_001.jpg

WP_20180827_002.jpg

WP_20180827_003.jpg

• Like 1

I hunt gold basin average 2 to 3 times a week so I've seen a lot of magnetite and other rocks that are not meteors. I've probably got 10 or more GB meteors in my display case now. I've never opened a window on volcanic slag or magnetite or hematite that clearly has iron nickel in it as this one does. I spoke to another local here that had photos of a couple just like this one that he found in his yard a couple weeks ago. He also found a recent fresh impact sight right near here in the desert. Of which he told me where to look. I'll be heading out there tomorrow. This one will be going to a lab to be verified.

20180827_115636_resized.jpg

20180827_115640_resized.jpg

20180827_115620_resized.jpg

20180827_115657_resized.jpg

20180827_114624_resized.jpg

Rocky.....It did not have the cavity when I picked it up. I use a belt sander with 60 grit to grind a window in suspected meteor rocks. As soon as I put it on the belt sander that cavity opened up. I stopped grinding immediately. You can see the nickel iron in it. All my other gold basin chondrites I grind a small window in, clean them up and put them in my display case. This one is going to get checked at a lab because obviously its odd. If you couldn't see the nickel iron in it I'd just be throwing it in with my collection of other hot iron rocks.

That is a gas pocket. Meteorites just don't have those. IMHO it is slag.

It is a dead ringer for a piece of slag. I am wrong about stuff every day and it does not hurt my pride a bit to be a completely out in left field about an observation. I hope it is from Alpha Centari and not just another rock outta Uranus. I have found plenty of those myself and I know exactly where you are at.

It sounds like you are going to take the next step and get a professional evaluation. It will be interesting what you learn about the specimen. Either way please keep us posted! It is always a learning process and we learn by example. If you will share your process with us we might learn something from it!

Thanks for posting it! 

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Yeah I'm sticking to my guns on this one slick, that is clearly slag. That is a real cavity formed by a trapped air bubble in the molten slag. Trust me you don't want to waste a professional meteoritics time on this one, it will cost us all precious tax dollars. I'm saying this all with humor of course because if you want to take that route I support you in your scientific analysis and gladly flip the tax bills LOL:ya:

• Like 1

Then what is the what looks to be iron nickel in the specimen? How is that explained? And where did this slag come from that was laying out in my driveway that I walk everyday that wasn't there as of the last couple days. The space station flew over this morning at 5:30 a.m. maybe someone on the space station was welding and it fell off and I got a piece of the slag on my driveway?

I just did a streak test on the underside of it and it didn't show any color on the ceramic

Whoa! Slow your roll there DesertRatPatriot. That's not a meteorite. We are trying to help you out here, not berate you. You post your finds, we comment on them. You learn, we learn. If you THINK it is a meteorite, send it for testing. After you get the results, post them. If we were wrong, so be it. But we're not. :shake2:

I'm not upset, I'm asking a question......or questions. If its just slag what is the shinny material in it? How did this slag end up on my driveway? it's not something I would have missed walking by. It just appeared if not over night within the last couple days. I don't weld and there has never been any metal fabrication done anywhere near my property. If this was on my old granddads property who was a welder fabricator I would understand. It stuck out like a sore thump on my hard packed desert sand driveway this morning. Ok, it's not a meteor, then what is it? I've never seen anything else like it around here,  How did it just show up? These are honest questions I'm not trying to be a jerk.

• Like 1

Mr Desert Rat Patrol, I find "new stuff" every week when I roll my garbage can out to the roadside on my dirt driveway "IF" I happen to be paying attention to the ground.
I can be wrong but I'll kinda bet the farm its been there since L-O-N-G before you took over the property.
Send it in for analysis then we'll all know right !
Hapy Huntn. 

P.S.  I LOVE YER "ENTHUSIASM"  !

• Like 2

The shiny material in the slag is probably iron that contains nickel. Most slag has iron and iron is almost always alloyed with nickel. So my bet is that the shiny stuff is exactly what you made it out to be... "nickel iron".

So that is how the metal got in there.... It is slag and  slag has metal in it. Slag is a by-product of melting metal. Slag is metal that oxidized very rapidly and created bubbles. That is what slag is and how slag goes my friend.

As far as how it got in your yard I have no idea.. :idunno: But it is not a meteorite. Sorry :aw-shucks:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
This is bubbly oxidized iron. In space there are no bubbles and iron does not oxidize.
  • Like 1

In southern AZ slag from the Douglas Smelter is used for fill on roads and rail beds. It looks just like your pic. Ive been fooled a few times out detecting finding a similar chunk with the detector to only realize im downstream from a wash crossing and its road fill material. Keep looking bro, its out there. 

• Like 1

I agree it can't be a meteor. But its still very odd. It looks like a big chunk of welding scrap or slag that you would see near and industrial welding business but the thing is I live way out of Dolan in the desert. Theres nothing around me that would have ever produced this. I know what welding slag is my granddad was a welder, I used to clean slag off his projects. Theres nothing between me and the mountains that would have produced this as a possibility of water washing it down here. I wonder if theres a chance it came from some kind of man made space junk? 

Bedrock......That's just as interesting because I don't live anywhere near a smelter nor where a smelter ever was. There just desert and a couple houses between me and a wilderness area on one side and untouched BLM on the other. It's a mystery that will remain unsolved I guess. I hate that. When something catches my interest I like to be able to find the answer and apparently that aint gonna happen in this case. But thanks for everyones help.

DRP,

Almost no one lives near a smelter. However, those rocks are found almost everywhere.  I had found them in my front yard every spring when I used to live in Bedford, Ohio. They would use cinder slag on the roads for ice traction every winter. Inevitably, there would be uncrushed slag rocks by the curb in the grass. Dense slag is used in all kinds of construction projects, primarily of road beds. You will always 'notice' a rock for the 'first time', but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been there a long time. It may have been buried in dust or dirt and kicked up by a tire or washed clean by rain. Who knows? I would rate your rock as more likely to have fallen off of the Space Station than to be an actual meteorite.

Blessings,

billpeters

Aside from the smelter, perhaps its the remnants of an Aircraft Flare.  The pilots use those in training all the time.  I'm sure it's not supposed to burn to globs, but its not unheard of for them to malfunction.  I don't know if Dolan is  underneath a training area, but it is certainly within flying distance of Nellis.

I think there could be some older history of military training in the area from WW II.  On my way to Vegas from the Kingman area, I see what appears to be an airstrip in the middle of nowhere.  It's on the North side of the highway somewhere between Dolan Springs and the Hoover Dam.  I find most of the time, the only people with enough money to open those airstrips is the government, Most of them are left over Army Air Corps strips.  In surprise AZ, we have several that date back to WWII.  All but one are at least partially built over and the last is closed.

Lots of reason to be doing welding on the bigger Army Equipment from long ago. Also not many records of where the thousands of training exercises was done for WW II.  There's some abandoned vehicles for Patton's in California, but there was a whole lot more than that.  I found what I thought was an old between 20mm and 25mm bullet casing out by Castle Springs Road, possible from Aerial Gunnery long ago.

8 hours ago, DesertRatPatriot said:

Then what is the what looks to be iron nickel in the specimen? How is that explained? And where did this slag come from that was laying out in my driveway that I walk everyday that wasn't there as of the last couple days. The space station flew over this morning at 5:30 a.m. maybe someone on the space station was welding and it fell off and I got a piece of the slag on my driveway?

I can never quite figure out why someone when they are told that it's not a  meteorite they keep saying that it is. After all you came on here to get a experts opinion. Guess what you got it from a few of them and you're still saying they are wrong! Slag is so common out here in the desert with all of the mining camps! I pick up all kinds of meteorite wrongs every time I go out! But as soon as I get them home where I can take a closer look at them they go out in the rock garden with the rest of them!

You live in the perfect place to find a meteorite just spend some time in Gold Basin and stick with it and you will find a real meteorite! Good luck with your hunt!

8 hours ago, DesertRatPatriot said:

Thanks for the advice Rick. I think some here didn't understand where I was coming from. Once I realized that a meteor could not have that gas bubble, although there has been meteors found with internal gas bubbles moon rocks for one, the bubbles did not resemble this slag in any way. What I was trying to say was how in the hell did this piece of slag show up on my driveway, right next to my pick up. Look at the pick I posted earlier of what it looked like when I picked it up, It's not something that I would miss I would think. It was clean black and stuck out like a sore thumb. We haven't had any flooding not much rain and all of a sudden heres this strange looking piece of slag laying there where I walk multiple times a day. I live in an area that does not have any mines near by, no smelters ever anywhere near where I live and to my knowledge never has been. I am still puzzled by it. I always keep a close eye on anything near my garage like signs that a snake is or has been near. I work from home in my garage so I'm always out there. My question became "where could this slag have come from?" I wasn't still arguing about it being a meteor. I have found about 10 of these out at GB this being the biggest at 198g. down to the ave. 12 to 15g. And about the same amount of sub gram nuggets with my GBII. The oddity of the slag piece is why I posted it, and how and why could it have shown up when it did and where it did. Thanks again. 

20180720_174842_resized.jpg