Nugget Shooter Forums

My Fishing Kayak

Some of you guys have been asking about my fishing kayak and what I would recommend for you. Well this is my latest acquisition ... Old Town Predator PDL(13 foot sit on top fishing kayak with a pedal drive). I have it decked out with 8 rod holders, a rod work station and a Humminbird Helix 7 G2 Chirp SI GPS fish finder. Here is a picture of it. It was taken this past Saturday at a tournament in New Hampshire.The RES Tourney GSKA Aug 25 2018.JPG

• Like 4

Rick ... I love the pedal drive ... it is a lot easier than I expected and I can cruise about 4 mph with little effort. Try doing that with a paddle. Fishing out of it is a little different than my paddle Predator 13 but I am getting used to it. 

Bob ... I have flipped the predator PDL(pedal boat) to see what it would take to self rescue. It rights fairly easily by pulling on the drive unit and getting back into the boat once righted is a piece of cake. It is much easier than doing the same with my Predator 13(paddle boat). Oh and I haven't ever done white water other than a very small rapid that would not even be considered a class 3 rapid. 

• Like 3

we have neighbors in Oregon fish for salmon from kayaks.   Got two for the grandkids but not sure I want to fish from one.   My water vehicle is a 20 Ft boulton with offshore bracket, with heater and delta canvas so  I cn fish in any weather.......Still Kayaks must be a lot a fun............

• Like 1

I flipped mine below the discharge gate at Caballo Dam last week. I was playing with some ugly water and just got too bold. Everything held together really well and I lost nothing except a couple lead weights and a Negra Modelo beer that was on the deck. I keep my lunch and gear in a 5 gallon bucket with the lid snapped on and rigged to the boat. It all stayed nice and dry. My $30 rod holder kept my $3.50 rod and reel secure. The bag of bait and a few apples went downstream but my son chased them down. So after it was all over there was no real loss.

The boat was upside down and the current was pulling me fast. All I could do was hang on to it until I got pulled into an eddy. I could not flip it over in that swift water. It all turned out O.K. but it really surprised me. I am glad that I developed some discipline about how I rig the boat. I could have lost a bunch of gear very easily. The boat could have easily been swept away and went downstream without me.

Caliche Chris told me a story about fishing with a guy at the lake last month. The fish weren't biting so they decided to go to the river. The dude had a mirage drive Hobie. He took that drive out and laid it on the deck to keep it from breaking it on the river bottom. He flipped the kayak going over the Williamsburg siphon and lost the drive in the river. So now there is a treasure hunt underway for a lost pedal drive.

The Rio Grande is mostly flatwater this far south. But there are a few spots that will just eat you alive. I am doing my best to paddle that 13 foot kayak through all of them. So far I have done about 50 miles of river. A few sections of it several times. We have had beaver attacks, found lost shipwrecks, had a carp as big as a person ram the kayak, been swept sideways under the trees and swallowed by rapids that are more air than water. We have caught fish, shot fish, been caught and been shot at. The kayaks have been a great big hoot! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The boat was upside down :ya:and the current was pulling me fast. :yikes: All I could do was hang on to it  :ROFL:until I got pulled into an eddy. :stupidrb:I could not flip it over in that swift water.:cry2: It all turned out O.K.:alcoholic:

That story deserves some emoji's Bob. :laught16:

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Haha 2

I guess I should write a story the about the time I dove over the back of my boat to try and retrieve a brand new lure I had just lost while I was tying it onto my line. dropped it over the back of the boat. I dropped my pole and dove in head first,  came up ball cap still on, wet cigarette still in my mouth and my wife is yelling what happened, are you O.K.? I said I'm fine dear didnt want to loose this new lure you got me.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Nobody ever accused you of being short of stories Bob. :pop:

Come on Slim! Let's get along! Why are you sniping at me? :aw-shucks:

….You are still sore about that exorcism I did on you a few years back aren't you? That was my bad and I am sorry. Making that frog come out of your mouth like that was cruel and unfair. :cry2:

I am truly sorry Slim. Let's put all that behind us if we can. Let's be friends! :shake2:

Back on topic... Have you ever had a good paddling Slim? Do you ride the bucking Tupperware? What does your keel measure Big Boy? :brows:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1