Nugget Shooter Forums

Got my little boat for fishing

Hey Rick, That should be a real Bass getter in the reeds and cat tails, especially using top water lures by moonlight . . . Just be careful with it and don't get too close to the water . . . Just Kidding! Should be fine in the bath tub . . . I said I was just kidding!  :)

• Like 1

I had one like it before, fished a lot of schooling stripers,  got my share of bass on top water, I am looking forward to getting it on the water, possibly on Thursday...going to chase what ever bites. 

Well the little boat is all registered and in the trailer, just got to put the numbers on it and it is ready to fish, going out Friday and see what I can catch. 

Will post pics of my fish.

• Like 2

Rick there is one more  improvement the you may want to consider. I put a small Bimini fold down canopy on mine. made it much more enjoyably in the sun.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

Wow. yesterday I scored a 3.3 hp Mercury motor for my little boat.

The man I got it from told me it had good compression but he claimed that is all he tested it/

I got the motor home, and the compression was great.....pulled the plug and looked for spark......no luck

Then I was looking t the front of the motor an saw that the kill switch thing was not there.....held it open as if it was working and got super spark.

Now I know why he could not get it to run......2002 mercury 3.3hp motor for 100 bucks....works for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azdigger said:

The man I got it from told me it had good compression but he claimed that is all he tested it/

I got the motor home, and the compression was great.....pulled the plug and looked for spark......no luck

Then I was looking t the front of the motor an saw that the kill switch thing was not there.....held it open as if it was working and got super spark.

Now I know why he could not get it to run......2002 mercury 3.3hp motor for 100 bucks....works for me.

Nice boat. Nice motor. Go get 'em. 

• Like 1

Hey Rick!

I like those little boats for a fishing platform. They are mighty handy and probably better for stationary fishing than a kayak. You are going to have some fun on that rascal!

My only bad experience with them is the engine mount on the transom. I don't know how yours is constructed but the one that I have experience with is a bit flimsy for a gas engine. They are fine for an electric trolling motor but you need to get the mounts on a gas engine really tight. And that can be a problem on these small boats. 

I have seen gas engines come off the transom on these rigs several times. Especially when you put it in reverse with a little forward momentum. Keep a safety cable on that motor and always clip that kill switch to your life jacket. Otherwise, sooner or later it will come up over the transom and go into the lake while beating the water to a froth. It happens all the time.

Be safe and catch a boatload of fish!

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

Good advise , my little motor has no reverse, just swivels 360, does have neutral and forward.  I only plan on the gas motor for point A to point B then switch to electric to fish.

But I agree in the kill switch, that is what they are for.

Going to go out in the morning to try the boat out...if the stripers are schooling like they say I am going to try my fly rod too. 

• Like 1

Bummer, looks like the wind is going to be up tomorrow so I will not go out in the wind.....other times, I am waiting until Tuesday and will go Coin hunt the Beach in Bullhead....they are packed and will be all weekend

11 hours ago, azdigger said:

Sound like you did get a great deal on that motor, NADA has prices on most any thing you can think of transportation wise, here's a link to what that motor would sell for in good condition.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2002/Mercury/3-3M/20010368/Outboard-Motors-Values

• Thanks 1

Put fresh gas mix in my motor, pulled it 3 times and it started, water pump works like a dream. Runs strong, now to get it in the water.

All the motor needed to run was the kill switch thing, and now it is GOOD..

• Like 2

Watch the telltale stream when you rev it up in the lake. Sometimes those impellers pump fine at idle and low RPM but cavitate at higher RPM. So keep an eye on it until you know it is going to function right.

Go to Crowley marine and order you an impeller and a housing for it. You will need it before next year is over and if you order it now you will have it on the shelf when the weather gets chilly. If you forget to do it the pump will not work next spring and you will wait a week to get it!

Those outboards are darn near bullet proof. You got a sweet deal!

Running it in a tub of water , slow trickle but good at idle and a full stream when reved up.....will get a spare and have on hand.

Hope to go out on Thursday...we will see.

• Like 2