Nugget Shooter Forums

Help: Identifying rock, mineral & fossil specimens

Some time ago I was given a collection of rocks that was put together by a ranger over the course of his career which he gathered during his visits to parks all over the US. I have no clue what many of the specimens are other than some look very cool. I am hoping members with expertise would help me identify so they can be labeled. One foot note the collection was given to me because something in it was emanating high levels of alpha energy (radon gas).

There are for to many pieces to put on one posting. If the response is positive several pics will be posted from time to time under the same topic.

Thank you

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

Looks like you've posted 4 specimens. Here's my crack at ID. First specimen appears to be bone. Couldn't tell you what kind, but there is too much symmetry for it to be a rock. Second specimen looks like a calcite stalactite. Third specimen looks like a broken agate nodule, but might actually be glass. Something seems off about the luster in the second picture of it. Last specimen is an agate/chalcedony nodule. All are fairly common, so telling you exactly where they came from is t really possible.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, d_day said:

Looks like you've posted 4 specimens. Here's my crack at ID. First specimen appears to be bone. Couldn't tell you what kind, but there is too much symmetry for it to be a rock. Second specimen looks like a calcite stalactite. Third specimen looks like a broken agate nodule, but might actually be glass. Something seems off about the luster in the second picture of it. Last specimen is an agate/chalcedony nodule. All are fairly common, so telling you exactly where they came from is t really possible.

Bingo! What he said.

• Like 1