Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone who has hunted nuggets, has encountered tiny pieces of rusty metal, hair size bits of screen wire, tacks, etc.  This is especially true if you happen to be working an area that the Old Timers worked during the depression era. It's bad enough to deal with bird shot, so to eliminate some of the frustration of bad targets this will help.  Get a piece of 1/2" PVC about 7" in length, put a cow magnet in it or a stack of 3 or 4 disc magnets, then cap each end. You now have a handy "wand" to help sort out bad/false targets quicker, before going through the hand to scoop scene & knowing that the target is either gold or lead.  Enjoy a less stressful hunt!  

• Like 4

I have a fantastic collection of bits of metal from detecting....the more trash I find I think the less that spot has been hunted. I got a rare earth mag on my pick.

• Like 3

Hmmm....know of a couple of spots this would come in handy :)
Tom H.

• Haha 1
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, adam said:

More gadgets make for more stress. Less is more, when nuggethunting. Imo....

I hear you, Adam.  By the time I get my pack on for my GPZ and add on my GPS, my garbage pouch, my blow tube, my plastic spoon, my snake guards, my knee pads, my hand gun,  my head lamp ...I step in front of the mirror .. look sternly and say I'M BATMAN!!!   :4chsmu1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
31 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I hear you, Adam.  By the time I get my pack on for my GPZ and add on my GPS, my garbage pouch, my blow tube, my plastic spoon, my snake guards, my knee pads, my hand gun,  my head lamp ...I step in front of the mirror .. look sternly and say I'M BATMAN!!!   :4chsmu1:

Hahaha

• Like 1

My low back appreciates it when I reach down with the magnet affixed to the eucalyptus handle end of my Walco pick to clear the ferrous bits.  I encounter a lot of "mystery wires" (thin, kinky, slightly magnetic and usually around an inch long that emit an irresistible signal) in a few of the places I hunt.  Clearing these first before committing to get down on my knee saves a lot of wear and tear on body parts.  I like the compact economy of having the earth magnet attached to the end of my pick's handle.

• Like 4

Have you used to clear a chunk of ground, say 10 X 10, or a dig area where you get a signal?  I'd kind of expect the magnet to fill up with black sand in a few seconds.  If it doesn't fill up with sand, it would be nice for a depression area creek I was at where I was getting those signals every couple feet.

Since I was using the GB 2 exclusively, rarely did I have a really deep target. While I always carried a pick, I mostly used a long handled hoe with a couple rare earth magnets attached. Anytime I hit a target, I simply dragged the hoe over the target to pick up any iron trash, then recheck.  Saves time and easy in the back.

This may not work in all soil conditions but when it does, it works like a charm.

A related benefit of having an earth magnet attached to the end of a pick's wooden handle is that I am able to "sample" as I move through an area, i.e., every now and then I run the magnet through the surface dirt and check to see how densely coated the magnet is.  I have discovered that large swathes of desert surface are ribboned with bands of high density black sands.  The places where the black sand content of the surface soil is almost nil I also have found to be virtually devoid of detectable gold nuggets or flakes.  This is, for me, a useful indicator -- especially when I explore a completely new area.  I just thought this might be of some related interest to the core issue raised by the initial post.

• Like 1