Nugget Shooter Forums

Ghubara L5 Chondrite

Can anyone give me some advice please.

I have a fragment of the  Ghubara L5 chondrite,which fell in Oman, 1954,  purchased yesterday. 

On one outer edge it has small, grain of rice, sized stones, white in colour and appear to be some form of mineral protruding from  the interior of the chondrite.

Can anyone please identify these for me. 

Please see attached images.

DSC_0005[1].JPG

DSC_0004[1].JPG

Thank you for all comments. 

The fragment was purchased from a reputable collector and seller in Edinburgh. I agree to one comment, the photos are not clear. I shall use a better camera and repost photos. 

Authenticity is assured, but I am open to greater comments once I post the new photos. 

Thank you all.

I have attached clear photos of the Ghubara L5 Chondrite fragment i purchased. 

I welcome further advice regarding the fragment. 

Though the Stone Meteorite is magnetic, i realise it holds 20% or less iron in its composition, and magnetic does not always mean meteor. But it was bought from a reputable dealer himself with many years experience meteor hunting and collecting.

P1020347.JPG

P1020348.JPG

P1020349.JPG

P1020355.JPG

P1020358.JPG

P1020359.JPG

Thanks for the clear pictures,

It looks like a really weathered chondrite, I find it hard to believe that its the same meteorite as the Ghubara L5 chondrite, I didn't see any example that appeared so weathered. The matrix on the Ghubara chondrite is dark with light chondrules. Maybe it's a pretty extensively weathered outer portion of a fragment. As for the white protrusions maybe it's calcium crystals.

Thank you Rocky and hardtimehermit both for your help. I agree the fragment must be an outer portion, weathered down. There was a secondary fragment of the Ghubara L5 Chondrite in the shop when I bought this one which is more to the description you gave Rocky, but it's outer shell is the same as my fragment. As both are sold together and almost identical, I am keeping faith the seller is legitimate.. 

Thank you.   

5 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

Thank you Rocky and hardtimehermit both for your help. I agree the fragment must be an outer portion, weathered down. There was a secondary fragment of the Ghubara L5 Chondrite in the shop when I bought this one which is more to the description you gave Rocky, but it's outer shell is the same as my fragment. As both are sold together and almost identical, I am keeping faith the seller is legitimate.. 

Thank you.   

Keep the faith and do some research. At least at this point we can agree it is a chondrite. 

The chondrules in your sample do appear light colored upon closer careful look at the photo and some of the sample has what appears to be a darker matrix in a portion, so yes have faith. I did a quick look up and didn't find weathered photos but I'm sure they are out there. Interesting to say the least. Update us if you square it away because I would like to know for sure.

Rocky;  

Your experienced eye and instincts have given greater faith. 

A Chondrite it is agreed, weathered yes, but for my first in collection,, I have had a lucky escape. 

For sure, I will bring updates upon more research. 

If you see any identical fragments out there, same conditions, please get in touch.

Thank you  

• Like 1

Hi All

I have first hand experience with Ghubara . I and my  Russian comrads found some pretty spectacular pieces there. The location is near Omans western border with Yeman. I also know the inside of the local prison there too. I found one piece about the size of a football and several softball sized pieces. We all found a lot of it. They had really cool lizards about 4 foot long that were pretty stupid and easy to catch. The strewn field there has oil pipes and drilling rigs scattered about and the areas that had some vegetation had the lizards. A lot of the Oman meteorites have very little iron left in them most are just small rusty pits were the metal was. I think even though they get virtually no rain there they do get a far amount of moisture from the Arabian sea that leaves dew on the surface stones. I would post pictures of the stones , lizards and Oman ( a giant litter kity box) but the Royal Omanie police confiscated it along with most of our money, cameras , clothes even the empty suitcases. And kicked our fannies out of there shithole country.

Happy Huntin John B.

• Like 1
  • well done 1

1 hour ago, John B. said:

Hi All

I have first hand experience with Ghubara . I and my  Russian comrads found some pretty spectacular pieces there. The location is near Omans western border with Yeman. I also know the inside of the local prison there too. I found one piece about the size of a football and several softball sized pieces. We all found a lot of it. They had really cool lizards about 4 foot long that were pretty stupid and easy to catch. The strewn field there has oil pipes and drilling rigs scattered about and the areas that had some vegetation had the lizards. A lot of the Oman meteorites have very little iron left in them most are just small rusty pits were the metal was. I think even though they get virtually no rain there they do get a far amount of moisture from the Arabian sea that leaves dew on the surface stones. I would post pictures of the stones , lizards and Oman ( a giant litter kity box) but the Royal Omanie police confiscated it along with most of our money, cameras , clothes even the empty suitcases. And kicked our fannies out of there shithole country.

Happy Huntin John B.

John B, by any chance was the camera the dirty Royal Omanie police confiscated from you a Sony Mavica which stored the pictures on a floppy disk?