Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold is Gold,..."Right???"

LowPoint

Well, went out a bit this morning before the humidity "socked-it-to-me" a couple of hours later. :barnie:Went to a wash that I hadn't been in since way before the monsoon storms came in up here.  There had been at least 6 good gully-washers hitting this wash over the past 2-3 months of storms, which had completely cleared and exposed the bedrock in 2-3  15 ft-or-so stretches.  I detected each of these stretches pretty thoroughly, but had not even found as much as a speck of gold, nor any other metal of any type.????boorb   SOOoooo, I put my detector down and decided to try something a bit different.  I stooped down on my hands and knees and thought I'd do some "Naked-Eyeballing"  or Sniping, as some call it.  All I had was my "pointy-ice pick-thingey-tool" to work "anything" out of the cracks (forgot to bring my tweezers).  It wasn't long before I was "eyeing" a little one here, another one there, but obviously nothing very big.  After a while the sweat was flowing into my eyes :tisk-tisk:so bad that I could no longer see, so i packed it in and came home.  Although these are not so big, I guess you could say that I wasn't "skunked":200: per-say !!  "Just another way to snag a nugget-or-two" out there.  Gary    

SAM_0662.JPG

SAM_0664.JPG

• Like 10
  • well done 3

Lowpoint,

That is some nice gold you eyeballed. Do you have a Goldmonster 1000, Gold Bug 2 with small coil, nox with 6" coil, ect to see if you can get more of those nice little guys !!!

Dave

Hey! Better than me when we were up there camping :) Heck, if its not too far back in it might pay to vacuum that area.  Or even take some baggies in with you, scrape out the crevices and pan it out when you get home. Thats fun too. Always good to see yellow stuff.

Nice going.
Tom H.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DolanDave said:

Lowpoint,

That is some nice gold you eyeballed. Do you have a Goldmonster 1000, Gold Bug 2 with small coil, nox with 6" coil, ect to see if you can get more of those nice little guys !!!

Dave

Nope, I'm afraid not.  I was using my Z-7000 today, but it doesn't get anything that small.  It's just kind of Fun to be able to eyeball them when the bedrock is exposed like it was.  I had already gone thru this wash "many times" in the past with my GP-3000 and collected all of the "detectable-size nuggets out of it.  Although this wash is one of those that surprise ya every once in a while just when I figure that I have gotten all of the nuggets out, the monsoons uncover new surprises.  This is a decomposed volcanic rock area, and I think that the actual source is in place within it. So when it floods,  it uncovers new stretches, and the gold that is mixed within the decomposed volcanic rock is released, and/or uncovered and exposed to the "now" surface.   Gary 

• Like 1

Nice!      I'd be back out there looking for some more of them cracks a.s.a.p.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:01 PM, LowPoint said:

Nope, I'm afraid not.  I was using my Z-7000 today, but it doesn't get anything that small.  It's just kind of Fun to be able to eyeball them when the bedrock is exposed like it was.  I had already gone thru this wash "many times" in the past with my GP-3000 and collected all of the "detectable-size nuggets out of it.  Although this wash is one of those that surprise ya every once in a while just when I figure that I have gotten all of the nuggets out, the monsoons uncover new surprises.  This is a decomposed volcanic rock area, and I think that the actual source is in place within it. So when it floods,  it uncovers new stretches, and the gold that is mixed within the decomposed volcanic rock is released, and/or uncovered and exposed to the "now" surface.   Gary 

Good on ya, Gary.  If you want to speed things up, I take a small whisk brush with me (to quickly wipe away the larger pebbles) then the straw makes quick work of the rest.  Maybe you already do this.  Just thought I would mention it.  Lately, I have more success with this technique than nugget detecting.  It just barely holds back the skunk for me. :)