Nugget Shooter Forums

SPANISH MINE MONUMENTS IN THE BRADSHAWS?

Just as interesting, in leaving i drove west rather than returning to crown king and about 10 miles later i came across an old miners cabin and the old codger was standing out front.  I stopped, got put, walked up his makeshift driveway, introduced myself and shortly asked him if he lived alone, “ nope, Ive got my pet rattler with me”. Said “ here follow me”. Went to front porch, he said wait.  He went inside and got some food.  Brought out and laid next to porch. Within 2 minutes a rattler that was at least 4 to 5 inches around came slithering out.  Jesus, it was big.  Asked him how he afforded to live there.  Walked me to creek behind his place.  Said he panned enough each month to pay his bills.  Took the gold to prescott valley to redeem.  Said he never panned more than what was necessary for bills.  Told me if I returned, bring a bottle of jack daniels, and a pan, and I could do same. Great memory. Never went back.  4 years ago.  Gary

• Like 3
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This here is the notorious Abu Chavo al Pecosani. Formerly known as Al Baddoggi. I just call him Chavo. He is a rez dog from the Pecos Pueblo. He is pictured in the "standing tail" position. This

The Spanish kept excellent records. Mining without paying the vig to the crown was punishable by death. There are very good records of the few New Mexico mines. A good place to find those Spanish

Bob, I found this carved stone poodle statue here where I live, it's right on the beach, so I know the Spanish landed here 500 years ago and searched all the area's beaches for gold deposits, I a

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gary Pederson said:

Told me if I returned, bring a bottle of jack daniels, and a pan, and I could do same. Great memory. Never went back.  4 years ago.  Gary

Any chance you could post the location/gps coordinates, so that others  could "help" that miner liberate some gold from the crik?

Would 750 ml do the trick, or did he want 1.75 liters of  Mr Jack Daniels?

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Gary Pederson said:

Told me if I returned, bring a bottle of jack daniels, and a pan, and I could do same. Great memory. Never went back.  4 years ago.  Gary

Gary, ,,What about bacon, canned 'maters ,  flour, taters , coffee, and tabacky?

A miner's gotta eat some vittles, now and then....

Oh, canned beans,too:)

1 minute ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Gary, ,,What about bacon, canned 'maters ,  flour, taters , coffee, and tabacky?

A miner's gotta eat some vittles, now and then....

Oh, canned beans,too:)

Don't forget the white mice for his pet . . .

• Haha 1
  • well done 1

What about toilet paper?  No mask needed out there.  You must have 4 wheel drive.  It is slow going but beautiful.  Will research the location of the cabin. Did ask him how he was allowed to build a cabin on us forest service land.  Said that his parcel was grandfathered out as an exception prior to usfs drawing up boundaries. God that snake was big. I think there is only one raw gold redemption shop in prescott valley.  They might know his name. Will inquire. He did tell me that immediately after redeeming the gold, he went shopping for a months supply. He never let me in the house, which was fine.  No other cabin on entire road so hard to miss. I was required to post a 4x4 stake with my name and claim number written on the stake itself in front of entrance to mine.  Note, you don’t just park and stroll to the mine.  Its up and down a few ravines.  Wear sturdy boots and pant and shirt that won’t tear. G

On 8/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, Gary Pederson said:

Just as interesting, in leaving i drove west rather than returning to crown king and about 10 miles later i came across an old miners cabin and the old codger was standing out front.  I stopped, got put, walked up his makeshift driveway, introduced myself and shortly asked him if he lived alone, “ nope, Ive got my pet rattler with me”. Said “ here follow me”. Went to front porch, he said wait.  He went inside and got some food.  Brought out and laid next to porch. Within 2 minutes a rattler that was at least 4 to 5 inches around came slithering out.  Jesus, it was big.  Asked him how he afforded to live there.  Walked me to creek behind his place.  Said he panned enough each month to pay his bills.  Took the gold to prescott valley to redeem.  Said he never panned more than what was necessary for bills.  Told me if I returned, bring a bottle of jack daniels, and a pan, and I could do same. Great memory. Never went back.  4 years ago.  Gary

Was his first name Paul?

8 hours ago, Gary Pederson said:

I was required to post a 4x4 stake with my name and claim number written on the stake itself in front of entrance to mine. 

Where did you get this requirement?  I only know that AZ needs a monument and the 4 corners marked, and PVC pipe is fine unless I’m missing something.

21 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Where did you get this requirement?  I only know that AZ needs a monument and the 4 corners marked, and PVC pipe is fine unless I’m missing something.

Gary said it was a State mining claim Chris. Not the same laws as mining claims on the public lands.

I'm guessing this all happened quite a while ago since Arizona State quit allowing mining claims on state mineral land in 1998.

Edited by clay
8 minutes ago, clay said:

Gary said it was a State mining claim Chris. Not the same laws as mining claims on the public lands.

I'm guessing this all happened quite a while ago since Arizona State quit allowing mining claims on state mineral land in 1998.

Thanks Clay.  There's a lot of little rules I'm still not sure about.  Someone said I need to file a notice of intent to hold with the county every year on any claim I have, but after a bit of time looking the Notice of Intent to Hold is for those doing the small miners exemption.

I was just on mylandmatters looking up my AMC# to pay the yearly Maintenance fees for my claim.

37 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Hi Chris. I think your confusing two separate matters.  I did not file a claim on a specific area of a stream bed or quartz site or Piece of land, or whatever.  I filed a claim on a mine.  It  was only 4 years ago.  I got the lead out of an Arizona Highways article about a lost mine in the Bradshaws that was owned by an elderly gentleman in Scottsdale and due to Indian threats had not been mined for over 100 years. The magazine Editor gave me his name.  I found his number, called him, then met him the following day. He was about 80 and seriously overweight.  His grandfather had Worked the mine but was harassed by Indians with every attempt.  The owner had never attempted to find it.  He had a hand drawn map and made a copy for me. Told me  to “ go for it”.  I left for crown king.  Got a room for the night.  Talked to a couple old timers in the only bar there.  They were nervous about me going it alone.  Drove to where I interpreted the map that it might be. Parked and started hiking.  After 3 hours and getting torn to bits I was ready to give up.  Happen to look back at the side of the mountain and thought i saw a landslide. Hiked over to it. Knew right away that it was the mine.  Started shoveling. Made a slot big enough to slide in on my back. Did so ( in hindsight, stupid, I could have slid right into a nest of rattlers or scorpions or who knows what) . With flashlight, walked maybe 200 feet, then got scared and returned to exit. The next day drove to Arizona Dept of Mines and Minerals. They gave me claim form for the mine.  Then instructed me to take a 4x4 inch wooden stake, 4 feet long,  write on it and go back and pound it in at the entrance and take gps reading and put those on the claim form.  Returned and filed,  never been back. The owner had another mine in Mexico near Nacosari.  Had just been offered $1,000/ mo by two mexicans who drove up to Scottsdale to meet him and wanted to mine it. He said no.  Had never been there either. Gave me better map of the mine.  I drove to it about a month later. Another story to tell. Gary

I don’t know if we even shared names. He just wanted to visit.  Was so proud of that snake. And he was very quiet about the gold in the creek.  Did not brag or make a big issue of it. Did emphasize that he never panned more than was necessary.  The cabin set back about 150 feet from the road. Did you meet a “ Paul” in similar scenario?  Gary

Am interested in joining anyone that likes to metal detect or pan and enjoys doing the necessary research.  Most clubs are for social gatherings. Im only interested in the actual search.  Just sold my home in Scottsdale and kept the one in Payson.  Very little gold history around Payson, except for the Oxbow mine. Willing to drive where ever the possibility is. Does anyone know if Rich Hill is totally claimed by Lost Dutchman Club or Gold Prospectors of America club. Would love to try it if there is an open area there. Thanks. Gary

45 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Thanks Clay.  There's a lot of little rules I'm still not sure about.  Someone said I need to file a notice of intent to hold with the county every year on any claim I have, but after a bit of time looking the Notice of Intent to Hold is for those doing the small miners exemption.

I was just on mylandmatters looking up my AMC# to pay the yearly Maintenance fees for my claim.

Every mining claimant that intends to keep their claim has to record an annual public record Chris. Just because you paid the maintenance fee doesn't exempt you from the requirement to update your claim record at the County Recorder.

It may not always be called a "notice of intent" in every state but the requirement has been there since 1866. Here's a link to the law in Arizona:

https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-27-minerals-oil-and-gas/az-rev-st-sect-27-208.html

Notice they even have a suggested form for making your public notice at the Recorder if you paid maintenance instead of performing labor.

State of Arizona, county of ____________________ ss:  _________________________________, being duly sworn, deposes and says that:  I am a citizen of the United States and at least eighteen years of age.  I reside at ____________________, in ___________________ county, Arizona.  I am personally acquainted with the mining claim known as ______________________ mining claim, situated in __________________ mining district, ______________ county, Arizona, the location notice of which is recorded in the office of the county recorder of that county at [county recorder information].  A claim maintenance fee of _________________________ dollars was paid by or at the expense of ___________________________, owners of the claim, instead of recording an affidavit of annual work for the purpose of complying with the laws of the United States and holding the claim.  (Here add signature and verification.)

Two paperwork requirements for every claim every year:

1. File with BLM on or before the last day of August
  2. Record with the County Recorder in which your claim is located.

The deadline for the County Recording varies by state. In Arizona the deadline is on or before December 30. In California September 30. In Nevada it's November 1. Check your state laws.

• Like 2