Nugget Shooter Forums

Time To Play With Your Spaghetti

Morlock

Richard Feynman was a genius with the common touch who motivated several generations of amateur and professional deep thinkers.  One of my cousins considered the spaghetti problem while designing an improved precast concrete beam that's now used in bridge construction all over the world.  Of course, he didn't solve the spaghetti breakage equation, but he did use Feynman's experiment as a place to start -- he described his mental process as "curing the problem without understanding it."

• Like 2

That wave is kinda like Archer's Paradox. Only an arrow is flexible and not brittle. So the wave repeats itself bending the arrow back and forth like a snake as it goes through the air. 

If you try to break juniper twigs the same thing will happen. That third piece will fly out at extreme velocity and it will "whirr" through the air at high speed. You can feel that wave go through the twig and snap the end off a split second after the stick pops in two. Anyone who has built a fire in the SW mountains has experienced this wave when trying to break juniper firewood by bending it. Lots of guys have been hit in the face with that third piece because they did not understand how this bending force reacts with a brittle material.

The only way you can break dry juniper without this happening is to break it over an edge (maul) it. If you bend it until it snaps it will break in three pieces just like the spaghetti.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Because physics bro

5 hours ago, homefire said:

Guess they didn't think of Grasping the Spaghetti with Two Hands. Works for me. Dang I can break the whole box like that.

Me too Homey, but that the smart way to break spaghetti but not the genius way to break spaghetti which is to build a machine to do it, and just think those MIT students' daddies paid LOTS and LOTS of moeny to get them in or send them to MIT!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Me too Homey, but that the smart way to break spaghetti but not the genius way to break spaghetti which is to build a machine to do it, and just think those MIT students' daddies paid LOTS and LOTS of moeny to get them in or send them to MIT!

Spaghetti ?  I mean come on here.  There are way cooler things to break, eaaaa ?