Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone have any experience using the 10" coil on their GBII? I used mine today for the first time. It was strange using it after looking at my 4.5" for hundreds of hours.

What should I know about using it?

Should I use it differently than the 4.5"?

What kind of terrain is more beneficial for the 10" over the 4.5" ?

I've found a few nuggets with my 4.5" but I've had this 10" that came with the detector and I figured after 6 years to figure out if I should be using it in certain situations or not. The stuff I've read and watched on youtube wasn't very definitive. The difference I found today is the rocks hot and cold rocks on the surface don't scream as loud, a much mellower tone. I didn't find any gold with it today but I was going back over an area that I had gone over a couple times already with my 4.5"

Much Thanks

You'll get a couple inches more depth with the 10" vs your 6.5" coil( not a 4.5")   I have both but use the 6.5" 99.99% of the time.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have one that I have used quite a bit hunting meteorites. It seems like it is a little pickier with ground balance and will false signal easy. I was finding a lot of burned trees and bedrock. A lot of rhyolite tuff that I was hunting over was impossible to deal with. And the range of ground balance where I was tuned was much narrower. Probably because the coil covered more ground.

I bought it so I could move faster and cover some more ground but I found it a bit frustrating. I never got comfortable with it and thought the tiny elliptical was much better. The bigger coil might have added some depth though.

I wish I could say I loved it. I do love the GB2 but I always use that tiny elliptical coil. It is lighter, the balance is better and it is a lot more sensitive. It's not as wild and chattery as the larger coil either. So there is my two cents. 

Edited by Bedrock Bob
  • Like 1

Thanks......I'm the same way I love the 4.5" but thought I have the 10" and I would at least use it till I figure out how it works in comparison to the 4.5". I wonder if I have passed over some nuggets in the washes that have a little more over burden that the 4.5" isn't seeing. I want to learn if the 10" will get some nuggets that I may pass over with the smaller coil. I plan of using the 10" for at least a couple weeks until I can get a better grasp of it's strengths and weaknesses. It's certainly heavier, I don't like that. But that aspect causes me to be a little slower and maybe a little more methodical.

Thanks again

• Like 1

I found my 1st and best ever piece of gold in quartz with the 10" coil. It was the coil that my detector came with. I decided after beating the ground for 2 years with it that I needed to try something different ( the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results) so I ordered the 6.5. No coil you order matches up to your machine. ( a fact I didn't know) So I sent them all in and Fisher tuned them to each other. I rarely use the 10" now in spite of its alleged depth. If I think a spot I have recovered some gold from has some hiding a little deeper I just rack it down.

My 10" coil looks brand new.

• Like 2

I had all three coils for the GB2, ran the 5x10 quite a bit, deep bullets, but no tiny gold near the surface, large coil I didn't run much at all, sold the two biggest coils and put the 3x6 on there, then I started finding the nuggets, at rye patch, anywhere from one grainers to 5.3 grains. The 3x6 is the only coil I would use on a GB2, from experience.

2 hours ago, Mxt Sniper said:

I had all three coils for the GB2, ran the 5x10 quite a bit, deep bullets, but no tiny gold near the surface, large coil I didn't run much at all, sold the two biggest coils and put the 3x6 on there, then I started finding the nuggets, at rye patch, anywhere from one grainers to 5.3 grains. The 3x6 is the only coil I would use on a GB2, from experience.

I too, had all three coils.... The 14", the 10" and the 6.5". Tested all of them extensively and the 6.5" coil beat them all by a mile. 

While the other coils may have better depth, none could find the tiny bread and butter nuggets.. That's where the 6.5" coil shines. For every ounce nugget, there's probably hundreds of smaller bits that people pass over. Also, I really enjoyed the challenge of finding those gnat crap sized bits. If you can find those, you can find the larger nuggets with the other coils.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 2